Theism without the bible, Koran, or any books and a question!

by Seraphim23 29 Replies latest jw friends

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

seraphim23 - take those thoughts a step further and beyond what you would believe, how about what kind of person would you be? Will a good person turn out a good person no matter the circumstance or can they be a completely evil person? If people did have multiple lives, if it was a part of God's plan, I think the only reason for it would be either refinement or teaching us not to judge others (if we find we did the same in the same situation in regards to judging and/or being refined and having gone through things becoming better).

• latinthunder
    latinthunder

The circumference of the earth is approximately 40 000km. If we eradicated all scientific knowledge and started again using the scientific method we would eventually discover that the earth had a circumference of 40 000km.

If we did that, which I highly recommend against doing, what would result is unknown. WhatI think is safe to say, however, is that kilometers wouldn't exist. Some other metric would and conversion into kilometers would be impossible since that metric was destroyed along with all other ancient knowledge. Fact is, we have no idea what would happen if we wiped all scientific knowledge from the planet. We can theorize, which is just for fun.

I personally think octopus people would evolve and take over.

• cofty
    cofty

Sab - If you don't understand the principle of a thought experiment there is no point to our conversation.

• latinthunder
    latinthunder

If you don't understand the principle of a thought experiment there is no point to our conversation.

I understand that your thought experiment doesn't support your proposition.

• cofty
    cofty

Why not?

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

It can be an argument for deism if you like Cofty although I take your point that more might be needed in the case for theism over and above a theist God. However I wasn’t necessarily being that fussy. There are other ideas that turn a deist God into a by making physics more closely linked with miraculous occurrences but that is way ahead of this thread.

• cofty
    cofty

But your thread title is "Theism without the bible..."

Theism is nothing but the fairy stories we tell ourselves because we don't have the humility or courage to say "We don't know yet".

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Can you not follow what I actually discuss rather than go by a one line title?

• cofty
    cofty

I struggle to follow but I did my best. I think I answered your OP in my first post on page 1.

Did I misunderstand the question?

What did you mean by this....

"So knowing the futility of faculty or the perils and promise of reason..."

• Terry
    Terry

If there truly were "futility of faculty" or a failure of the senses to inform us of reality---then, there could be no Physics, Math, space travel, technology, medicine with practical applications to every day life.

Yet, we have those things operating magnificently and triumphing over religion and the supernatural in every way.

If you are drowning, did you want to be thrown a Bible or Koran or a life preserver? The practical trumps the numinous.

When the rational mind gets lost in the supernatural, parents allow their own children to die because they are "serving" some bizarre idea of "God."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit