Disfellowshipped but still forced to pay maintenance or alimony

by Markw1509 65 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LogCon
    LogCon

Sorry, AFGHANISTAN.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't understand why you think your wife should refuse the alimony because she is shunning you, the one has nothing to do with the other. Most divorced people don't see the exes again unless they have to anyway. The alimony is based on your years together, not on your current relationship. I have no desire to see my ex husband. He didn't pay alimony, actually he got half my 401K account. I didn't like it, as he chose to quit jobs when he felt like it and didn't bother to pay into it when he could have done so. It was worth it to get rid of him.

• Markw1509
    Markw1509

Thanks for everyone's comments on this.

it's been interesting to see your thoughts, ideas and opinions.

i have paid my ex for over ten years now. My daughter has grown up and got married. I wasn't allowed to know she got married, and I don't know if she has children. Here in the UK, laws are slightly different to the US and Canada, and it's difficult to get court orders rescinded.

I will naturally continue to pay the money. The reason I posted was to get your opinions on how morally acceptable (and Christian) it was for someone to accept money while claiming to have nothing to do with the payer.

Personally, it's not about the money. It's the principle of accepting money from someone who should be shunned. Is accepting money acceptable if you should be shunning?

thanks for all your interesting thoughts, folks. And thanks for the different opinions. That's the beauty of this site...we can share ideas freely and can have our own opinions without fearing whether we will be disciplined for not agreeing with a particular line of thought.

Refreshing, to say the least!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The reason I posted was to get your opinions on how morally acceptable (and Christian) it was for someone to accept money while claiming to have nothing to do with the payer.

I think the morality issue is precisely what you are missing.

Judges rarely award alimony; this holds true for the U.S. and Canada. If a judge chooses to award alimony, it usually means that the judge has determined that there is not enough marital property to award to the wife to compensate her for contributions to the marriage. If there were enough marital property, the judge would have likely just awarded her that, and you two could be done with each other. Therefore, she is recieving what a judge felt she was economically due, again, for her contributions during the marriage.

Since she is simply collecting on her prior contributions made during the marriage, she is under no moral obligation to make further contributions by having any dealings with you now that the marriage is defunct.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think your confusing the dictates of the law of the land, to the dictates of the WTS. Corporation. (religion)

Of course there usually isn't any legal stipulation in the court order that says the payments should ceast/stop just because one

partner shuns another. There's usually is a visitation clause which is part of the maintenance fee involving child support.

If the child becomes an adult and moves away, then those payments stop and a month to month alimony would continue

or readjust itself until the other ex-spouse remarries.

Monetary divorce decrees or orders are adjustable based on income by the payee but you have to present something before a divorce hearing

and get court approval.

Personally I think thats very wrong that you never got to know you own daughter as she was growing up.

But then not knowing you , you could have been a terrible bad ass, which would change that opinion abruptly.

• Scott77
    Scott77

This thread is another reason why leaving the Evil and enslaving Watchtower was a smart decision.

Scott77

• SanLuisObispoTruthSeeker
    SanLuisObispoTruthSeeker

Yes, regular courts provide a semblance of justice compared to the Kangaroo Court you experienced by mindless drones. Justice is served by allowing your daughter financial support, we made that agreement once we had kids brother. You deserve rights to see your child, wish you the best in your uphill battle against these antichrists!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page...alimony (maintenance) and child support are different from each other. He is asking regarding alimony, not child support.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/alimony

As far as child support, he has posted the following: "My daughter is now grown up and married." Hence, he isn't paying child support.

• jam
    jam

Paying child support for my two kids (no problem, they are my kids).

The ex wife made sure I would pay child support by having the courts

take it out of my pay check. Like I said no problem, I saw the kids every

day. Because of my work schedule (working nites) I would take them to

school, feed them breakfast and pick them up after school and have

dinner for ready for them before I went to work. I could live in

a one bedroom place, that was ok for me but I made sure my kids had

a decent place to live.

This is not about how devious some JW are but devious the behavior of my ex

made worst by becoming a JW.

Doing this time she was married, an elder who had no job, handyman.

Well because of the abuse my son (not my daughter) the court awarded me

full custody of my son. I was having a difficult time making ends meet before

my son arrived. So a month go by and they are still taking out of my check

money for my son who is living with me. I told the ex you need to make an

adjustment on the child support. A year went by before I could afford a lawyer.

You would not believe the reason she gave the judge.LOL

She told the judge , my son room had to be maintain even tho he doesn't

live there. The electricity, cleaning and 1/4 of the household.

The judge looked at her and her lawyer and told her, lady are you

nuts. All child support will stop today until you pay this man back and

your son. Get out of my court with the none sense!!!

• Scott77
    Scott77

She told the judge , my son room had to be maintain even tho he doesn't live there. The electricity, cleaning and 1/4 of the household.The judge looked at her and her lawyer and told her, lady are you nuts. All child support will stop today until you pay this man back and your son. Get out of my court with the none sense!!!

jam

jam Many ways to go I suspect, her leeching Elder had effectively turned your Ex into unofficial welfare benefit at your expense. What a shame!

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit