Are JWs more tight with money than normal people?

by Julia Orwell 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Actually, in my experience, I have not found them to be tighter or more generous with money. I've found them to be about the same with handling money as non-Jws, though less likely to invest their money, but unlikely to waste it on cigarettes, pubs/clubs and gambling like many non-jws do. I certainly don't find them tighter or stingier than normal people though, and slightly more honest.

What are your experiences with JWs and money compared to non-JWs and money?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

OH I should have added: when it comes to gifts, they are mega stingey. JWs don't seem to make up for birthdays and Christmas by giving at other times, so when I was in as a young adult I was always getting cool stuff from my non-Jw family, while the born-ins never got anything from their parents.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Ask any Waitress

Who just got a WatchTower for a Tip..

JWs Can Eat SomeWhere Else!..

................Dip Shits!!

.............................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

OMG does that really happen? Here in Australia tipping is not a cultural thing and JWs pay the waiters the exact amount of the meal while non-Jws will round the payment up or throw in $5-10 if the service was good.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Tipping in North America is Customery..

Restaurant Servers can`t survive without it..

A WatchTower won`t put food on the table,when they go home to feed their Kids..

JWs are Notorious Bad Tippers here..

................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I observed the tip thing when I was in the USA. I noticed the service you get in restaurants there is phenomenal! I was blown away by the fact that you just about had your own personal waiter, not the two waiters for a whole restaurant you get here.

THat's off the topic anyhoo. I can see why they'd tip a watchtower: "Giving them the chance of eternal life is FAR more valuable than a tip!" Same reasoning they use not to donate to charities who help starving children: better to witness to them rather than fill their bellies, because they're just gonna die at Armageddon anyway aren't they?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If my Waiter/Waitress takes good care of my table..

They will remember me..

It`s good PR all the way around,we take care of each other...

............................. photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Actually, in my experience, I have not found them to be tighter or more generous with money. I've found them to be about the same with handling money as non-Jws

Which is interesting considering jws proudly state they are followers of christ and his disciples who eschewed material possessions and material aspirations. Actually I recall one (haughty) elder telling me that he chose servants and elders who were "successful" in business as in his opinion were better organisers. At that time, every servant and elder on his team were pulling dodgy business pratices. I mean every (including himself). Yes it was a loveless, judicial congregation.

I look back now after years of experience and study an realise that he had obsessive compulsive disorder. At the dinner table he would get incredibly distressed if the siverware wasn't in the correct order and as far as washing hands... Anyhow I digress.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Of course, they are.

JWs are encouraged to not persue higher education resulting in moderate income, instead they are cheered on in seeking low paying jobs. To make ends meet they'll keep on to the little precious money they hold in their hands.

• new22day
    new22day

I can't comment on JWs as a group, but my ex, Ivan, (who is a dub) was so tight he squeaked. If he could save a dime he certainly would and if I would pay, even better. Going out was always embarrassing. Once at a community festival, there was a small beer garden set up to raise money for the organization and he wanted to sneak his own beer in so he could save a few dollars. (Who even thinks like that?)

Years ago, my family owned a hotel and a group of JWs came to town one weekend to build a hall. We negotiated a special reduced group rate with them for all the people involved with the build. After they were done (which impressively only took a few days) the leader of the group started demanding a cheaper rate for everyone because of their good work. I remember my Dad being so angry and disgusted - he did not further reduce the rate. I thought it was unethical and dirty of the JWs and I was just a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit