Thinking of joining the Masons

by greenhornet 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

When I was newly out, which is some years ago now, the scientologists cornered me in the street and took me to a building where I had a "session" with them complete with some electrodes they used to electrocute me in the hands. Boy was that a close shave! I was wide eyed and innocent then, fair game I guess. I could have ended up as fodder for yet another cult.

• jam
    jam

Finkeistein: "most Masons are elderly men in there 60's and

up". LOL

It depends on the lodge you join. I was in my mid- 40's when I

join and most were around my age. It's a social club with a lot

of advantages for men in there middle age. We rented out our

hall for private functions, we handle the bar and security.

I worked the bar and love it, meet a lot of women in fact

I met my wife there, she worked for the post office (post-office rented the hall).

The great thing about being a Masons and guys around your age, you

have control who may attend. You have a control environment.

For older people there are not may places you can go and have a great time

if you like dancing. At 40 and older you will feel out of place in many of the clubs today,

it's for young people.

One time we rented the hall to some 20 year old and her friends. What a mess, we sold about $100.00

in drinks (older folks around 2-3 thousand bucks a nite), breaking up fights, kicking people

out because they was smoking happy weed. We shut down early and kicked them all out.

Before I left I notice not to many young guys was joining.

I must admit there is a lot of drinking in the lodges.LOL

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Well Im im my 60S. Hower I did did come from the JW cult. and it reaks of cult to me by what you guys are saying

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I know it seems jarring but Masons keep a tight lid on their members, like other cults.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

My brother in law joined last year. He's 35 and has never been a JW or religious. He really enjoys the people there, and most are older gentlemen. It gives him something to do in a small town.

i thought the Masons were just a Fraternal Order, like the Eagles or Lions Cub? Maybe a bit more quirky. :) A lot of businessmen in our city are Masons.

Whatever group you find, enjoy! It's nice being able to give back to the community and make new friends.

• Mum
    Mum

The masons apparently have secret rituals. I don't know if you've seen the John Ankerberg Show, but it's about religion. There are often exposés of cults, including JW's, on John's show.

In the '80's, John did a show about the Masons. Afterwards, he received death threats. I was shocked and horrified!

The Masons also finance Shriners' Hospitals for Children. I personally have received great benefit from them.

You might have to go along with some weird stuff, but you might also get a chance to help disabled kids. Do what's right for yourself regardless of your decision.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

why not try it and if you don't like it, fade :)

I don't know if it's still true but they used to have a reputation for being homophobic. One of my training buddies is a mason and he is a very 'normal' person as far as I can tell :)

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Go for it... seems harmless enough...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit