Jehovah in the New Testament (New NWT bible )

by jhine 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It isn't up to us to provide evidence of the non existance of something that doesn't exist. It is up to the person making the claim to provide evidence that it does exist.

What we can do is encourage them into the mental effort and research to prove the non existance to themselves.

• Comatose
    Comatose

The brackets were removed. The words that had been bracketed were not. Big difference there.

They simply removed the brackets so now you don't know where the added words are. It's not that they removed the bracketed words.

man these things are so hard for them to see.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Absolutely no basis for it from any angle at any time. As for previous praise of the NWT, I believe it was based on the Hebrew text translation and commendation for using the Westcott & Hort as the principal for the Greek text. The NWT has always been criticized for some peculiar translations that uphold peculiar JW theology.

@Comatose,

Right on Brother! I have always had a problem with Colossians 1:16, "all [other] things...." With the brackets, it was at least transparent. It was visible that they added the word, a literary license if you will. By removing the brackets, they have chosen to make their literary license an ownership of the text. They have knowingly and willingly adulterated the text. Now, the student MUST believe that this is the true text. Just wait until this hits the doorstep of somebody who knows the difference. I would like to be at that doorstep when that happens just to see the face of the JW reading the text.

SOP

• erbie
    erbie

Black sheep has it folks.

It is not our responsibility to prove them wrong, it is for them to prove themselves right and they themselves know that they can never do that.

Hence their relentless and defensive argumentation on the matter.

It matters so much to them because deep down they know that they are living a fairy tale lie with no substance to it.

The whole thing is a travesty.

• sd-7
    sd-7

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/183868/1/Bearing-Thorough-Witness-book-and-Jason-David-BeDuhn-quotes

Ah. My old thread on BeDuhn's book again. The gift that keeps on giving...

--sd-7

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

In simple terms.... The tetragrammatom in ancient HEBREW, it is actually a sentence 'he causes what he wills' and what a suprise, or not really... That HEBREW sentence that the JW's claim is gods name... is not anywhere in the GREEK writings.

Bare in mind it isnt just a different language but a different slphabet. The JW's WRONGLY replace LORD in the NT not only with the tetragrammaton sentence, but with the name jehovah.

700 years after jesus died, copyists assumed there may be a code in the old testament and used two terms used for god in the old testament, YHWH and LORD or in hebrew Adonai. They took the consonants from adonai and added them to YHWH to make YaHoWaH, or in latin JaHoVaH.

So not only have they assumed a hebrew sentence is somehow supposed to be in a GREEK text, they then say it is supposed to be this mish mash of YHWH and ADONAI. It is shameful... They know they shouldnt be doing it, hence they add an excuse to the bible itself in its glossary.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The " Kingdom Interlinear Of The Christian Greek Scriptures" , a literal word for word translation , does not contain the tetragrammaton , anywhere , so their is no justification for inserting it or ( jehovah ) anywhere in the text .

Worthy of note too is this same publication , in its word for word translation of John 1:1 says " In beginning the word was , and the word was with God and the word was God " , it does not say he was "a" God

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

The " Kingdom Interlinear Of The Christian Greek Scriptures" Published by the WTB&TS incidentally .

smiddy

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The tetragrammaton was god's old covenant name only, for his covenant people the Israelites. "He causes to become," as a loose meaning of YHWH , was fulfilled in Christ. God was now the father of all national groups, not just the Israelites. Hence why Jesus never once addressed his heavenly father in prayer as YHWH, instead mostly addressing him as father, and hence why the name was deliberately left out of the NT.

And of course not forgetting that the apostle Paul was the apostle to the nations, not Jews. The Hebrew characters YHWH or some derivation thereof appearing amongst Paul's Greek epistles to all those Greek speaking pagan converts would mean absolutely nothing to them. Ever notice that Paul in his famous speech at the Areopagus (Acts 17) never once refer to the one true God as YHWH?

• LV101
    LV101

smiddy - thanks for reference and info re/publishing of the Kingdom Interlinear. I recall but wasn't sure it was by the JWs. How does one obtain one of these? Duh, I'll try a search since I never had one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit