Jehovah in the New Testament (New NWT bible )

by jhine 19 Replies latest jw friends

• jhine
    jhine

I have just seen in the flesh , or paper , the new NWT . My Witness friends were delighted with it showing me all the new features like the glossary of terms and explanations of the hows and whys . I did ask about actual content , acting daft not letting on that I knew anything about it . They carefully repeated what they had been told that changes were just to make it easier to read and more modern and were chuffed to little mint balls with it . English expression , translates as jolly pleased .

Then I noticed the explanation of the inclusion of the" name " Jehovah in the NT . The phrase about it's sudden disappearance from the Greek scriptures got me slightly miffed and I did point out that to my knowledge the Tettragramaton had never been in the Greek NT scripts . Now I do not know how I have I have come by that knowledge but I am pretty sure that more learned people on this forum will be able to give explanation as to how we can be pretty sure that the name of God was not in the Greek writings of what we now call the New Testament .

Any early manuscript scholars about who can help ? It would be nice to back up my proclamations with some facts .

Jan

• sir82
    sir82

It's not complicated.

There simply exist absolutely none, zero, nada, zilch ancient manuscripts of the NT that contain the tetragrammaton.

There is absolutely no manucript evidence to ever indicate that any of the original writings contained the name.

Insertion of the name "Jehovah" moves the work from "translation" to "interpretation", leading to the question, where else are they "interpreting" instead of "translating"?

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

I book that JW's love to refer to is Truth in Translation by Jason BeDuhn as it commends the New World Translation as one of the most accurate modern translations, however, he addresses the issue of Jehovah in the New Testament as being a deviation from being a literal translation as there are no fragments that support this decision.

Also, it is okay to refer to this work of BeDuhn as the Organization actually quotes the book in an Awake! article in support of the New World Translation.

• RobCrompton
    RobCrompton

Try this free download:

www.smashwords.com/books/view/170997

It's a fairly comprehensvie study of the issues involved

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

They make such a huge issue about using the name Jehovah that it's embarrassing for them that the NT simply doesn't have it. To take liberties and add it is not something that should need to occur if this is the truth and there's no question about the need for the name. Even with all the spurious additions, it's still relatively rare and doesn't support the emphasis the Watchtower puts on it.

• jhine
    jhine

thanks guys

Jan

• Laika
    Laika

Read appendix A3 and the argument made is that the manuscripts available, including the NT ones are completely reliable. But in inserting Jehovah into the NT they are contradicting themselves.

If Jehovah was originally in the NT then the manuscripts have been changed, other parts could also have changed, and we cannot rely on the manuscripts. If the manuscripts are accurate then Jehovah was never mentioned in the NT and using the name can't be that important.

It really is as simple as that. Either/or. It's a major problem for JW doctrine.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

You are forgetting that the Faithful and Discreet Slave has the divine right to pick and choose from sources.

THEY are more important than those dusty old manuscripts.

• JWOP
    JWOP

My JW contact told me that all the bracketed words from the former JW Bible have been deleted because those weren't in the original manuscripts. So then the question is, then WHY do they continue to put the name "Jehovah" throughout the NT when it wasn't originally there?

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

My JW contact told me that all the bracketed words from the former JW Bible have been deleted because those weren't in the original manuscripts.

JWOP, If that is what your contact said, they didn't really understand the explanation as to why the brackets were removed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit