Another Revised NWT Thread - subtly sowing seeds of doubt with chart

by mindnumbed 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

Pages 1744 thru 1746 feature a chart of the Kings of the Southern Kingdom, ending with Zedekiah in 607.

Praise the new Bible and all of the teaching aids .... draw attention to Kings list and how convenient that is ... but, strangely, I decided to look up information in an encyclopedia about the different kings, and the dates are not the same ... so I checked a couple of sources and they are all different than the chart in the Bible .... why would that be?

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

Mention to the JW ... Here is a list of the kings from Jewish Virtual Library, why would a Jewish source have different dates concerning their own history? Isn't that odd? Maybe I should write the Organization and let them know the chart is wrong.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/Judah.html

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Good stuff . . Marking.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Because WE follow the BIBUL dontcha know!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Exactly Slimboy ! dose nasty 'poztates simply don' understand dat Bibul Chronologee noze best !

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

Yes. We know that most entrenched JW's will come to the conclusion that every other source is influenced by Satan to discredit the truth as revealed through God's Organization, the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society Incorporated.

However, it seems it can be an innocent enough way to get a person to think. If introduced innocently, it may start the ball rolling, some will no doubt research the subject, it may be a seed added to past moments of cognitive dissonance or it may just be the first.

When I was mentally in, one of the projects I would think about from time to time was to look up historical references about dates, not to disprove JW, because I just assumed everything I was taught was correct, but to bolster my knowledge.

• L3G
    L3G

It's all based on the 607 BC thing. Their position on that throws most of the other dates off, at least those prior to 586. Then add the fact that they are afraid to admit the huge complexity of the issue and that there are things that cannot be known when it comes to chronology and you get the strangely confident chronology (fantasy) that they have.

Can that seed of doubt be sown with any ease? Like others have said here, nearly all JWs I know are far more interested in deciding where to go for dinner after the meeting than in any doctrinal matters, especially chronology!

Of course, CO Jonsson started out tyring to prove that the WT chronology was correct, and look what happened to him! He's a very rare bird, however.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The anonymous members of the NWT Committee have an inside source. Even though we have no idea of who they are or what their credentials might be, we simply have to trust that THEY are RIGHT about this and EVERY OTHER EXPERT AUTHORITY is WRONG.

Why? Because THEY (whoever they are) say so, that's why!

This is a classic example of the logical fallacy known as an Appeal to Authority. Generally speaking, when someone employs this device they at least have a real authority to cite.

But in this case, it's curious that the WTBTS/GB employ this deceptive rhetorical technique by appealing to an unknown authority and millions of people blindly and unquestioningly accept it.

Thus proving the power of mind-control!

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed
    King of Judah Jewish Virtual Library New World Translation
    Rehoboam 928-911 997-980
    Abijah 911-908 980-978
    Asa 908-867 978-937
    Jehoshaphat 867-851 937-913
    Jehoram 851-843 913-906
    Ahaziah/Jehoahaz 843-842 906-905
    Athaliah 842-836 905-898
    Joash/Jehoash 836-799 898-858