My bible study last night...holy hell

by DS211 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DS211
    DS211

So last night was my weekly Bible study with my wife my friend/elder and his wife. Well like many still asleep the first thing that we talked about was what intrested us about the AGM..so the elder goes into the things like how exciting it is and loves all the added crap in the appendixes and the info in the front beause its straight from Gods word. I thought "didnt someone say you shouldnt add anything or take anything away? Surely adding reason books and appendices on questionabke doctrine (at best) would fall under the category. Ok fine. But then he goes into Spla es talk about translation. And mentions about the part when David Splane said that the world may not like that we have a Bible, those same worldly people are not translators just because they can read greek or know some greek or hebrew or aramaic. And he mentioned the part he appreciated most was Splane then said "but those translators are NOTamong the anointed of Jehovah God" (paraphrasing of course). And the elder said "i thought, 'GOOD FOR YOU'. What a way to respong to those who criticize ALL the hard work these brothers do everyday. And the. Of course he went into bethel and said we needed to visit there because when we did we would have no doubts that this organization belongs to Jehovah because of how efficient it is run and there are guys who used to be plumbers running biiiiig printing presses. I thought "hmmm David Hassan mentioned something about going to visit a place and came back a different himan being".

despit being taken aback i just kept a calm demeanor. Sheesh.

DS

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hmmmmm. I'd think Bethel would lose on the efficiency scale. What they have is cheap labour.

• DS211
    DS211

Agreed. After that convo we spoke about my wifes upbringing and how strict her mother was and i said "well thats why many say we are a cult, because behavior like that looks a lot like totalitarianism (oops haha slipped out) and everyone agreed and paused a moment. Then the elder goes "well if i had the choice between super lenient and strict like your mom Id choose the latter".....i giggled and thought "good lord mate, he made my point"

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

And he mentioned the part he appreciated most was Splane then said "but those translators are NOTamong the anointed of Jehovah God" (paraphrasing of course).

Such arrogance! How would he know (speaking within the Christian paradigm) whether other translators are truly 'spirit-begotten' or not? That's God's business. Oh, right, yes of course, all modern non-JW Christians are fakes, aren't they? Non-JW Christians can't genuinely have the witness of the Spirit, can they? Is he also suggesting that ONLY 'anointed' JWs were involved in the translation, that none of the 'other sheep' had a hand in it - a project that huge? Really?

It would be nice to get an accurate, direct quote.

• DS211
    DS211

the translation committee werre of the "anointed"....so their minions were not. Basically Rank and file jw bethelites did the work and these "anointed" just said yes or no then the GB would either concur or say "nope gotta change that".

• DS211
    DS211

Given the new light you would think anointed meeting on this committee if not from the GB would also constitute the FDS....but im sure that was overlooked

• Splash
    Splash

Paraphrasing: "those translators were not among the anointed of Jehovah God whereas all of the NWT translation committee were of the anointed."

*** w09 6/15 p. 23 par. 15 The Faithful Steward and Its Governing Body ***
    However, Christians who have truly received this anointing do not demand special attention. They do not believe that their being of the anointed gives them special insights beyond what even some experienced members of the “great crowd” may have. (Rev. 7:9) They do not believe that they necessarily have more holy spirit than their companions of the “other sheep” have.

Splash

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

SPLASH.... you know that only applies to "anointed" who are NOT at World Headquarters. That statement was made to widen the gap between the top brass and the lowly, emotionally and mentally unstable "anointed." That sentiment is one of the corners stones of their new teaching concerning the GB/FDS. The GB/FDS since 1919 DO have special insights, even beyond the Elders and experienced members of the GC.

DS211 and AnnOmally,

So let's see.. What makes the RNWT so good? It reads just like any other modern English version produced by Christendom. So if Christendom's bibles have been accurate for decades prior to the RNWT, and it requires God's spirit and special insights to produce an accurate English version.... Does anyone see where this is headed? What would a JW say to this question in field service?

So what does the RNWT have, that other versions do not have?

1) The JW added "extras", dumbed down for the modern dub.

2) The English pronunciation of the Latinized form ( guess-work at best ) of YHWH, added into the text. Most of those additions have zero justification. They were added to support JW dogma.

DS211, I would print out a bunch of verses from other versions in modern English. I would ask the Elder why it took the WTBTS so long to produce an accurate modern English version, when " Christendom " has been doing it for decades. If they circle the wagon and say "Jehovah", remind them of the appendix in the NWT. It says Yahweh is more accurate. No one knows the pronunciation of YHWH, God did not see fit to preserve it. How can that point be the "selling point" of the NWT or the RNWT?!

DD

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

So let's see.. What makes the RNWT so good? It reads just like any other modern English version produced by Christendom. So if Christendom's bibles have been accurate for decades prior to the RNWT, and it requires God's spirit and special insights to produce an accurate English version.... Does anyone see where this is headed?

Yeah, exactly!

In fact, I made the point to someone the other day, who had attended the AGM, that the RNWT has finally caught up with other Bible versions/translations in terms of modernization of language and features like glossaries, colorful maps, Bible time-lines, etc.

• flipper
    flipper

DS 211- Interesting thread. You handled it well with your wife. Good job. You do mean Steven Hassan not " David Hassan," right ? The writer who wrote the 3 books on cult mind control ? Just clarifying, thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit