Tea Party with a Cultist

by jgnat 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Laika
    Laika

The last time I saw my parents they gave me a bunch of Watchtower literature to read/watch to win me back (including the Prodigal DVD which I'm pretty sure was intended as a guilt trip - I'd already seen it anyway) I accepted and promised to read which I felt was the best way to keep the peace.

In future I thought I could agree to take the literature, but only if they agree to read a letter, written by me, explaining why I am no longer a JW, but I know timing would be important to this kind of agreement. Straight after a meeting and they would find the idea that they should read anything potentially critical of the Organisation very offensive.

The cultist side is hard work, it's frustrating that I have to play a role and they can say whatever they want, but that is life I guess.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Jgnat: the local JW's supposedly "miss" us, too... But not enough to call or visit us, of course. ;)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is basically the way I handled my extended JW family. Tea parties are nice, on occasion. Several hotels run tea rooms - they draw huge groups of women. Every once in a while I see the odd man. I tried to maintain respect for the underlying person. Sometimes I wanted to screech. I hoped Jesus gave me some brownie points. It can also be viewed as training for the foreign service.

I don't think that strong arm tactics, such as telling them they are wrong, accomplishes much besides keeping them in the cult. My aunt was the type who would literally swoon if anything the WT did was placed in doubt. She was an important and good part of my life.

All these tea parties, however, end up stripping you of your humanity. They could talk JW all over the place but I could not mention a book or a friend. It was a very one sided interaction. It could be that their world was so limited they did not know normal banter. My aunt would beg my mother to negotiate with banks or vendors b/c my mom worked and my aunt realized how limited her exposure was. Sad circumstance.

All in all, I am glad I did not engage them a la Hyde Park. Band was lost in the mix, however. If I had to do it over, I would repeat my actions. I figure that the Force/God/Christ would lead them to a different place. Perhaps my behavior negated their view of apostates. I will never know because 98% of possible topics were off the table. I imagine having conversation with Queen Elizabeth would be easier.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My mother, for whom I perform this role, is blessedly in another province. I don't visit often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit