Young children baptism

by zound 33 Replies latest jw friends

• zound
    zound

Hey Zound ...where did you see this?

jw.org home page - just above the "They ask for work but not pay" article... *vomit*

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I have spoken to members of my family about being baptized young. I was 14, husband 15, daughter 14 and our son was older 19. Not one of us now feels if we knew what we were actually dedicating ourselves to. My husband and I baptized in the 60s we thought it was Jehovah, Jesus, and Holy Spirit, no where was the Governing Body mentioned, probably because they didn't exist in the 60's. My son made the comment to me last week that he wasn't the same person at 19 that he became at 25.

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

There's no Scriptural indicator that one shouldn't be either. Besides, there are several accounts within the Scriptures highlighting examples of young servants of Jehovah. Mostly on the Hebrew side of the Bible prior to baptisms but nonetheless every bit as dedicated to the True God as the Christians mentioned in the CG Scriptures. Also, one can assume Timothy likely got baptized at a young age considering he was trained from infancy and took on leadership roles within the Christian congregation at a young age. It warms my heart to see young people today dedicating themselves to Jehovah and having an active role in His organization.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Standforpuresorship: The Society teaches that baptism in dedication to Jehovah is the most important decision one will ever make in their life. These little kiddos are not even old enough to be left alone in the house. How can anyone say they are mature and knowledgable enough to make such a serious commitment at such a tender age?

I was baptised at 17. I now know that was too young. I was indoctrinated by the Watchtower's teachings, was under peer pressure and didn't have an accurate account of the Watchtower Society's highly questionable beginnings.

• zound
  • Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

WH, I agree it is a weighty decision and children, nor teenagers should be pressured to do so. They should however be encouraged to make it a goal and the decision should be soley their own.

• zound
    zound

Oh boy.. this video really sucks.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is revolting. There was massive competition among the cousins to be the first to be batpized. I would have been furious if my brother were alloed before I was. My mom solved it and said we had to be Jesus' age. She deeply regreted her baptism at fourteen. Peer pressure among kids can be brutal. The illustration is disgusting.

I see no great value in baptism. In my present church, the community promises to help teach and raise the child in the tradition. There is no litmus test of belief. It makes no sense for a religion that believes in adult baptism to baptize children. The emotional toll is great which is prob. why they seem to be encouraging it. Perhaps others here recall it more clearly but in the 1950s children getting baptized were rare.

I did love the Beatles at eleven when they first appeared in the US. It is strange to recall my other crushes. David McCallum was one.Oh, I read Seventeen magazine more than Witness lit. God is a crush at that age. I also believe that early commitment must age you before your time. The Witnesses don't allow children to be children. It is not normal for children to sit in chairs with no movenment for hours while the fulfillment of ancient Hebrew and Greek prophecies are discussed.

Another sign of a cult.

• zound
  • zound
    zound

Thought control at it's finest folks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit