Cherish Your Doubts

by TotallyADD 8 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Reopened Mind and I came across this reading today and I would like to share it with all of you. For me it was really eye opening and I hope this will help many here to understand why we take this stand against the Wt.

Cherish Your Doubts

Cherish your doubts, for doubt is the attendant of truth.

Doubt is the key to the door of knowledge; it is the servant of discovery.

A belief which may not be questioned binds us to error, for there is incompleteness and imperfection in every belief.

Doubt is the touchstone of truth; it is an acid which eats away the false.

Let no one fear for the truth, that doubt may consume it; for doubt is a testing of belief.

The truth stands boldly and unafraid; it is not shaken by the testing.

For truth, if it be truth, arises from each testing stronger, more secure.

Those that would silence doubt are filled with fear; their houses are built on shifting sands.

But those who fear not doubt, and know its use, are founded on rock.

They shall walk in the light of growing knowledge; the work of their hands shall endure.

Therefore let us not fear doubt, but let us rejoice in its help.

It is to the wise as a staff to the blind; doubt is the attendant of truth.

Robert T. Weston

Everyone here on this board is fighting a noble cause. We have the right to doubt what the Wt. says. If they was really the true relgion they would welcome doubt and embrace it by doing that it would prove to them and others they are on the right path. But instead like this saying says "those that would silence doubt are filled with fear" and this is what the Wt. does time and time again by silenceing the doubters and by doing that they show they are in fear of those who are trying to expose them. Hope all here enjoy this and take it to heart. Totally ADD

• steve2
    steve2

TotallyADD, wise words indeed!

In fact, had Chuck Russell never followed his doubts, he would have persisted in the religion of his parents.

Doubt precedes discovery. On the other hand, packaged "Truth" hates doubt and resists it at every opportunity.

You need courage to doubt. It is far more comforting to be told by others you don't need to doubt because what you believe is the truth.

Every religion in the world has a vested interest in asserting its authority and demonizing doubt.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think you can trace nearly every advance that Humans have made, to doubting and challenging the conventional "wisdom".

Cherish your doubts is an excellent motto.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Seeing in other JWs a refusal to look at contrary information about the religion was part of what started me on the road to doing my own research. I guess I figured that, say, a highly intelligent elder would have been willing to test his faith (excuse me, test the faith), so when I realized that he intentionally avoided doing so and apparently considered this to be a wise course of action, it set off a little alarm bell in my own head. "Why should truth have anything to fear? What kind of belief system is this really?"

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Steave2---When I first read this passage I just sat there in awe to what I just read. It was like a light blub came on over my head telling me my

objection to the Wt. is right.

Phizzy----- Right on cherish your doubts is a excellent motto. I hope the lurkers will read this.

Apognophos-- When should truth have anything to fear? Good question. I was always asking that when I was in. What did the Wt. have to hide

if they have the truth. The answer was right in front of me and I just could not see it until I was over 50 years old.

I love the statement "The truth stands boldly and unafraid; it is not shaken by the testing." Not just with the cult we all deal with but with anything we encounter in our life. Totally ADD

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

One of my little old neighbors said recently that it isn't enough to question authority. She said you have to challenge authority, demand answers.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Very nice!

Hope all is going well with you both,

BOC

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Hortensia--Right on. Always demand answers.

breakfast of champions--Thank you. We are hanging in there. Thanks for your concern.

• steve2
    steve2

Religion answers questions, whilst philosophy questions answers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit