What level of IQ does one have, to beleive " TRUTH " changes. ? or old "Light " old truths " New Light " new truths " ?

by smiddy 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nightvision
    nightvision

Im convinced that a significant proportion of those still in are not in it for the truth . in fact truth is probably way down on the list of things that they are there for . for example , social outlet , community with other like-minded people , fear of the outside world , dating/marriage mate etc , these things are way more important than truth to many of them still in .

Secondly because they are captive to to the concept that these 8 muppets in brooklyn somehow have a batphone to god , even if a so-called truth has had more tweeks than lapdancers' nipple they accept it because they just imagine that these guys have an elevated level of understanding that they dont and so should just therefore accept it because its beyond their level of comprehension .

During a recent conversation with my own father where i 'came out' as an appostate and comprehensively destroyed 607 - 1914 , his only response was

'well dates dont matter anyway , its still the truth' .

What !!? dates dont matter to a JW ?. your head could explode trying to reason with people that blind .

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Ok according to the society Jehobah loves people with low IQ's. I was reading Drjohnchrists reddit post regarding the AGM and came across this gem

"Clear, common, readily used expressions are better than "intelligencia". Jehovah's not impressed with big words."

Inspired words of the infamous Anthony Morris III

This sounds like what was said by Morris, yes. He was quite disdainful of intelligentia and those fancy 'qualified' translators. He also mentioned that JWs are the "most thinking people in the world". That's an exact quote, I remember it because I noted that he didn't say "thinkingest".

• sherrie11
    sherrie11

Considering the time the St James' version of the bible came out it was only those rich enough to learn to read and decipher latin or greek or german....whatever language it came in at that time. (not ordinary mens language)

and just as we do today copy and paste without thinking.... so do our earlier ancestors , just copying and not thinking. no intelligence required.

there is nothing new under the sun blah blah etc.....

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Okay, I never went to university , or had a college education, though I`m damn sure that "Truth" is "TRUTH" and it never changes

No truth does change. Phlogiston theory gave way to knowledge of oxygen. For most of us astrology gave way to astronomy. Alchemy gave way to chemistry. Natural philosophy gave us mathematics and geometry. In medicine antibiotics were a life-saving cure during World War 2 when they first started to be used. Now we know they destroy the friendly flora in the intestines and cause all sorts of problems if over used.

Truth does change because we are apes and it has taken us a heck of a long time to understand our planet and the cosmos and we are still learning. I heard a quiz-master on TV the other day say, 'what Pluto is no longer a planet, when did that happen?' When I was a child we had nine planets in the solar system, in fact in the known universe. Now we have eight but hundreds have been detected elsewhere in the galaxy.

I know you are talking about GB 'Truth' but you seemed to be so certain that truth never changes it bothered me.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

I appreciate all these posts - i am enjoying this conversation and thank you all for taking time to write. THIS is my meeting for Sunday morning.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Weak thinking palpable people is what the WTS. wants for they can be easily manipulated and exploited to a greater extent

as opposed to critical thinking knowledgeable educated ones and they also promoted low level education themselves from that very agenda.

" Universities and Colleges are places of ungodliness" as quoted from the Watchtower.

Much better time would be spent by an individual in service distributing are published literature toward the public.

• Old Goat
  • smiddy
    smiddy

No truth does change. Phlogiston theory gave way to knowledge of oxygen. For most of us astrology gave way to astronomy. Alchemy gave way to chemistry. Natural philosophy gave us mathematics and geometry. In medicine antibiotics were a life-saving cure during World War 2 when they first started to be used. Now we know they destroy the friendly flora in the intestines and cause all sorts of problems if over used.

Xanthippe....I think you have misunderstood me, or confused increased knowledge of a subject with truth.Because people at one time thought something was true doesnt make it so. For example Astrology has never been true , no matter how many people subscribe to it.And Astronomy is a completely different subject , there is really no connection to the two.Increased knowledge has led to a greater understanding of the topics you mention yes , though I dont see it as" truth" changing

smiddy

• rmt1
    rmt1

"Truth" is a proxy for consensus. Consensus is dependent on the census, the sample population. The truth or consensus of a small, isolated census, can differ GREATLY from the truth of consensus of a much larger, more exposed census. At some critical mass, enough people of the greater census throw their hands up, and their gauntlet down, and declare the findings of the greatest number, the last understanding to be left standing, to be "fact". That greater census typically comprises those most knowledgeable in some field of endeavor, the biggest fish of the biggest ponds, so they enjoy a great context of experience. They've 'seen it all' and can speak to it. They have seen a Lot more than the petty fish of petty ponds. A famous quote in literary theory is (varyingly) 'Meaning is context-bound. But context is boundless.' That statement should be parsed on an individual basis. =>One<= interpretation available is that "He who controls the greater context controls the greater meaning." That is why TWS claims God as their context. That is why he who writes the history or "His story" is the victor. That is why patriarchal text and interpretation is preserved and encoded in behaviors for women taught in 2013 AD.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I don't think I have misunderstood you Smiddy. You gave the example of the geocentric model of the cosmos that was never true, you said. When Copernicus proposed the heliocentric model and Galileo championed it the latter was dragged before the Roman Inquisition. The 'truth' has been subjective for many millennia especially where religion has been involved.

Actually the study of the stars which was once used for foretelling the future did lead to modern-day astronomy. That some still believe it can be used to foretell the future does not detract from the amazing things cosmologists are now finding out. It is not true there is no connection between ancient incorrect ideas of astrology and modern day astronomy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology_and_astronomy

I know that you don't see it as truth changing but what I am saying is, truth, as you like to call, is only what we understand to be the correct facts now. We may find at a future date that we need to change our understanding as science progresses. Really I was answering the op that truth may not change as reality is what it is. However our understanding of reality changes and humans will say at any given time that an idea is 'truth' but that idea, scientific theory etc. may change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit