Classless American Behavior

by Pathofthorns 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I was watching the hockey game yesterday and I thought I heard 'booing' during Canada's national anthem. Earlier in the week the same thing occurred during the Raptor's playoff game.

As some are aware Canada has been mourning and burying their 4 dead soldiers due to the incompetence of an American fighter pilot who dropped a bomb on them while they were carrying out training exercises. Flags are flying at half-mast as Canadians try to make sense of such a careless mistake.

I find it hard to believe any civilized person would show such disrespect to another country to 'boo' them during their national anthem at any time, and more so during a time of mourning because of death caused directly by American hands.

I sincerely hope American media chastised their countrymen who showed such insensitive, classless, ignorant and disrespectful behavior to their neighbours. I assure you, as much as there appears to be a measure of justified anti-american sentiment in this country we know what lines not to cross, and if someone does we are not afraid to let them know they are out of line, even if it is our own countrymen.

Path

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hello Path:

I heard about this too. Obviously it is inconsiderate and low class, and I suspect most Americans would agree with you. It would certainly be a mistake to label all Americans because of the actions of a few lagered-up sports spectators though (not that you did).

The people booing, if asked about Afghanistan, would probably ask what their ballteam was called.

Expatbrit

• Kismet
    Kismet

Path:

I was angered too when I heard that at both events, but making wipe sweeping generalizations don't help either.

Perhaps a better title might have been "Classless Behaviour by some Americans." Many Americans I know and that I have spoken to today all commented about the ignorance of such conduct.

Kismet - a proud Canadian

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I would not lump all americans with this sort of behavior. I would probably chalk it up to American ignorance of the events that occured with regard to the bombing. What is our prime news story is probably not that important to them.

At the same time I doubt you'd see this sort of behavior happen in Canada and two occurances in the same week hardly seems like a coincidence. Even during the winter olympics it was rumoured the Americans players walked on the Canadian flag during an intermission of the final women's hockey game (great game btw).

It is no secret that America in general could do with some better manners and show more respect for other countries, but what can you do?

Path

• MarchOn
    MarchOn

I certainly understand being very upset with the people that boo'd during the anthem, they had no right and that was intentional. But did the fighter pilot intentionally kill the soldiers?

• Matty
    Matty

England soccer fans often boo during other countries national anthems, its pathetic really and I'm sure nobody here is surprised to know that.

I tell you what is even more disrespectful - remaining seated during the national anthem - I know because I do it (only when I'm with other JWs). Is that cowardly or brave - I'm not sure!!

• larc
    larc

Path,

I wish you wouldn't use phrases like "Americans in gneral" Most Americans are respectful people. Also, I don't think the booing should be tied into your recent lose. Booing at any time is a sign of disrespect. I think the Americans who did it should have been arrested for disorderly conduct. So, please don't paint "most of us" with the same brush.

• Kismet
    Kismet

I just hate to see the same prejudice north of the border that you accuse them of having

While at the Olympics, I was very impressed at how restrained the American supporters were. There was little in-yer-face type patriotic displays. Fans at the events applauded atheletic performance regardless of country.

While walking around in Canadian attire daily, it was typical that every 5 minutes, an American would yell support to Canada or make a pro-Canadian comment. Many Americans cheered the winners of the hockey games. Some even asked if they could have a couple of the mini CDN flags and pins I had brought with me.

So I beg to differ on your opinion on 'most Americans'

Kismet

• Francois
    Francois

I wondered when someone was going to bring up the Brits behavior at soccer games. I see someone did.

I hate to say so, but I haven't heard anything in the American media about any of this. Of course, I don't watch Rather, Jennings, or Browkaw. I'd rather just cut through the bullshit and read Marx & Lenin direct.

Anyway, I'm not surprised at this behavior. I know this isn't going to win me any friends here, but I have really never had much use for the synthetic reality called sports, especially team sports. IMHO sports fans in general are borish, immature, and unspeakable; and that's the better ones. I for one refuse to have myself represented by a stadium full of sports fans.

And one other thing: Oh Canada is vastly superior to The Stars and Stripes Forever. Canada's anthem is at once soaring, humble, inspiring and beautiful in itself as music. On the other hand, America's anthem in nothing more than jingoistic, bombastic lyrics accompanied by the tune of an English drinking song. We need to get rid of it and start over and Oh, Canada would be a good place to start.

Francois

• Matty
    Matty

By 'Brits' you mean English don't you? Scotland supporters conduct is usually exemplary. But they aren't in the world cup, so tough crap to them!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit