Something tells me 1914...

by Monsieur 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deltawave
    Deltawave
    Please can you site where they now talk about Jesus coming instead of present?! I'm intrigued!!
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Why is it when the WTS proclaims they have received more light and that this new light is more biblically supported, that this newly acquired light is really unsupported bullshit they came up with themselves , mostly connected to selling and proliferating their literature and supporting the position that god has chosen them alone ???

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

History suggests they will not abandon 1914

Business wise 1914 is the WT’s best product. It is the cash cow of the organization. It is what keeps the money rolling in. Nothing else the organization does matters. Overlapping generation, Faithful and discreet slave, types and antitypes is just new products that are being marketing to try to draw in new customers-(members-children)

They are smart enough to know that changing 1914 drastically could have serious repercussions financially for the organization. They are knowledgeable enough to know that to get rid of 1914 is tantamount to Lambert Pharmacal Co. getting rid of Listerine mouth wash or Procter & Gamble getting rid of Ivory soap.

You just don’t mess with your Cash Cow.

All these changes are just market ploys to try to attract and retain future members (Children being baptized) or the unwary.

1914 will stay until it is not being bought by anyone anymore. Then they will get rid of it.

You don't tug on Superman's cape.

You don't spit into the wind.

You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger.

And you don't mess around with 1914

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2
    I posted about this awhile ago. I think all they will do is change when the last days started. 1914 will remain when Satan was cast down and Jesus took the throne and inspected religions and picked the bible students. But the last days will be changed to a future event say 9/11/01 or whatever so it appears that last days just started and we are very close to the end. But I don't think any changes will be made to 1914 for at least 25-30 years.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

They are resting on the overlapping generation to stretch the time frame from 1914, how long will they sit on this is anybody's guess, but its assured that one day they will be forced to drop 1914 altogether and proclaim new light.

The overlapping generation doctrine was a tritely maligning farce, which isn't supported in the bible but like always the WTS only wants people around them that wont question their doctrines, that's why they point out these ones as being mentally diseased or demonized.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

1914 will stay. The understanding will change.

Adventists have been waiting on Christ's return since the 1830's. They've changed their understandings of date predictions over the years.

The founders of the Bible Students took most of their core beliefs from the Adventists. Current JW's think God gave the Governing Body special insight.....

By the way (not that I care) but Adventists amount to 22 million members worldwide. As the JW's pat themselves on the back with a number just over 8 million.....?...

• Half banana
    Half banana

Monsieur, as a rule of thumb everything the Watchtower has ever said is meaningless, irrelevant or misleading. You suggest there are bigger things to come from them ...bigger lies and bigger irrelevancies.

The 1914 doctrine as others have pointed, out has been the magic key to the success of the org. Not that they were right, they got the prediction quite wrong (1914 was originally to have been the latest date for entire restoration of the earthly paradise) but being in control of the information through their publications they always have--- and very much still do--- massage the ‘truth’ of what they say to gloss over their errors.

I see the direction the WTBTS are aiming for is to be like the biggest Christ cult of all time; the Roman Catholic Church, which although now declining, has through its wealth and political connections been able to ride out every criticism on the basis of self appointed authority and propaganda. The WTBTS is nowhere near this ideal so they will continue to struggle for religious credibility.

The JW authority was on the basis of getting 1914 right. This doctrine is becoming so old hat and chewed about that they will eventually try to claim divine backing without their sacred year...not an easy task! After all wrong calculations and wrong outcome over the year 1914 hardly make for evidence of divine attention.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

I have to agree with the idea that 1914 has a shelf life, but I suspect for a while yet.

To some of the above who believe it can't be dropped, the difference with JW's and other faiths who have changed their beliefs is that a) they have focused on 1914 for so long (almost 140 years) and b) it is at the heart of the public ministry. In 2064, how ridiculous will it look to talk about Christ's return 150 years ago? And still nothing has happened.

So how could they drop it?

There are two obvious ways. Overtly or covertly . Overtly could be done if someone can devise an 'inspiring' way of doing a whole re-work of their numbers game. If it could include 1914 and then have a new start date, and a return of the old 'within a literal generation' then job done. As long as the R&F can believe that the end is imminent they will continue to put their lives on hold.

Covertly means quietly dropping ala the Kings of the North and South. Mentioning it less and less and the decades go by. Until it becomes meaningless to the young JW's of the future and it's never mentioned again.

As they don't seem to have a new seer like Freddie Franz then covertly seems the more likely option in my opinion.

• Ding
    Ding

It would be hard for them to explicitly drop 1914 after making so much of it.

All they have to do is let it fade away and emphasize something else.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Problem is if they were to quietly drop it and not mention it in articles, that would provoke a lot people who remember it in their indoctrination to eventually fire off questions to the HQ and elders alike.

Add to the situation that most of the WTS doctrines are easy to investigate on the inter-net, exposure to them dropping it would be rampant. The information on the Net is something the WTS didn't have to contend with in the past, before they could simply remove books and literature off the shelves and play OH thats old Light from years gone by.

In reality the 1914 date/year was a farce devised to attract attention to the literature the WTS produced, the following " This Generation " was also a farce that was developed from a mixture of ignorance and a bit of calculating deceit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit