Is holy spirit really involved with appointments?

by Leander 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

I've always been curious about the process they use to appoint someone as a minsterial servant, elder or pioneer. Do they claim these appointments are made by holy spirit? I am aware that the elder body has to first approve it and then send it through bethel or the circuit overseer, but I'm not sure what happens next. What does the CO do with these recommendations after they receive them from various congregations?

Also does anyone know of individuals who were appointed while they were doing something unscriptural? (fornication, getting high, etc.)

I was'nt exactly perfect when I got appointed as a MS, but when they asked me if their was any reason I should'nt be recommended I said no without hesitation.

• Xenu
    Xenu

Leander:

The men of reason use the guidelines that the Holy Saints have given us in the Words. These words were written with guidance from the Holy Ghost. In this way it can be said that appointments in the local community are written with the aid of the Holy Ghost.

• Undecided
    Undecided

It's sort of like reading the manuel that came with your GM car. You can say General Motors fixed it after you did the work.

Ken P.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Most appointments are made like any professional promotions. It comes down whether they like you or not period. Whether you did enough ass kissing. There is no spiritual appointment because if they are spiritually directed, how can they make mistakes?

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• Amazing
    Amazing

JW-Watchtower Theory: A man is living a Christian life, taking the lead, setting a fine example, a good well rounded family man, who is mature, loving, balanced, and caring. His peers look to him for guidance. The JW Elders see his example, and determine that "holy spirit" has already started using the man as an Elder, and recommend him for appointment as a recognition of what the 'hs' has already done. The CO also sees and accepts this, and mails his recommendation from the Elders off to the Society. There, after much prayer and consideration, the Committee who reviews these CO recommendations determines that a man recommended is truly living the Christian life, and accepts the recommendation, and approves the appointment "Already made" by holy spirit.

JW Reality: A man shows up at meetings, learns how to comment by parroting words from Watchtower books, gets out door to door at least 12 to 15 hours a month, and Aux. Pioneer at least once a year, volunteers to clean toilets and cut grass at the Kingdom Hall, and do any other odd jobs requested. Make friends with the Elders, and constantly find some reason to be in contact with them, being noticed cleaning toilets and cutting grass ... like getting the PO's approval for the best toilet cleaner, or asking where to put grass clippings ... this constant exposure, field service, meeting attendance, commenting, volunteering is what influences Elders more than anything else. Oh, and if a man is in a congregation where some of the Elders have a few brains ... then he must not say stupid things or act like a nerd.

Actual Appointment: When the Elders are ready after some mysterious 'holding period' needed to 'observe' a man, a time frame unknown to any human, they meet, and discusses appointments. "Hey, Harry, whad ya think of George as an Elder?" ... "Well, Sam, he is at meetings regularly, and comments well ... yep, George has my vote." After this type of 'recognition of what the 'holy spirit' has done, they parade the man in front of the CO with parts in the TMS and Service Meeting to be sure the CO knows their pick. The CO of course arranges to work in Field Service with the prospective Elder. The CO completes a recommendation form in his meeting with Elders ... usually there is little discussion, except for discussing how much they like George.

The form states the baptism date, age, birthday, Anointed or OS, and a short statement by the CO promoting the prospective Elder.

The Society: I understand that they have Committees that handle the recommendations for appointment and removal of Elders, MS, Pioneers, etc. I have no clue as to how they process these recommendations ... but I imagine that they check the Watchtower files to make sure that the prospective Elder does not have any DF/DA record unknown to the Elders and CO ... and they make sure the form is filled out correctly, and that the prospective Elder is not too young, or if claiming to be anointed that he has been a JW for a good period of time. They place a "Green Check" mark by the approved names, and "red-line" the unapproved names, and mail it back to the congregation ... and that's about it.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

You know the saying........."MONEY TALKS"

• Leander
    Leander

Amazing, how many years did you serve as an elder?

• DB
    DB

Once again, another good post by Leander.

The reasoning on this is that, since the qualifications for elders and min. servants are listed in the Scriptures, and the Scriptures are a product of holy spirit, then it follows that brothers are appointed by holy spirit, if indeed the recommendations are made based on what those scriptures say. Also, the elders should prayerfully consider these choices, asking for guidance by holy spirit. Whether such prayers are really answered is anyone's guess, and perhaps a discussion best left for another thread, lol.

The Circuit Overseer can object to a recommendation by the body of elders (this happened once while I served as an elder). he writes a letter stating the reasons for his objection. In the case we had, the entire body relented and we 'pulled back' our recommendation.

Also, during some discussions on recommending brothers, I sensed a distinct LACK of holy spirit over the process...for example, the scriptures themselves were not adhered to, rather, brothers seemed make recomendations or withold such based on personal impressions and ideas.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    It's sort of like reading the manuel that came with your GM car. You can say General Motors fixed it after you did the work.

HAHA! That's a good one.

Yep, they like to say the HS makes the appointments, but if you press them on the issue then they admit that the HS doesn't directly make the appointment, but that by following the bible requirements for MS/Edler the HS 'helps' or some such nonsense. The proof's in the pudding as they say though, and if the HS is appointing some of these freaks as MS/Edlers it's doing a piss-poor job.

Xenu, the green god spoke to me through the oracle of the powdered donut. My cat saw a vision of the great fire of the Saints. Xandilsouis came to me last night and said "Be free of your sins, eat the powdered donut oracle." He then commanded me to follow him to his ship on the western banks of the grand canal of Mars. He said that I must convert all I meet to the ways of the Purple People of Pularimos. If you do not repent of your wicked ways and convert today you will face the wrath of the Red Demon of Redormous. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Xenu
    Xenu

Namewithheld:

I do not acknowledge a Green God

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit