My husband is stepping down tomorrow night . . .

by Prisila 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

This idea about not permitting resignation is absurd. Of course and elder or ministerial servant can resign if they want!

Local elders can state they do not accept the resignation, but so what? What are they going to do, prop the man up on the stage with a broom stick and play a prerecorded discourse for his next talk assignment? Come on people! The part about local elders not accepting a resignation is no more than local elders voicing a strong recommendation that the WTS should send back encouragement to the man so he will change his mind. It’s no more than that.

The part about the WTS approving a resignation has only to do with whether the WTS wants to try and talk the man into continuing or when an announcement is made of his deletion should an attempt to retain him fail to materialize or fail in its attempt.

Prisila, I wish you and your husband all the best!

• Flip
    Flip
    Something wrong with a religion that defines leadership in terms of the harm it does to the family...

Oh well, guess I'm preaching to the choir....

Whether you’re ‘preaching to the choir’ or not, it’s a good point nonetheless, carmel.

Your comment raises the question, how does one define the term ‘religion’? Does that term include the word ‘business’ and do the WTBTS Corporation and Jehovah’s Witnesses fit a ‘business’ profile.

If the WTBTS and Jehovah’s Witnesses are actually in the ‘business of religion’, and who in the ‘religious’ genre isn’t, then what harm the corporations methods of enterprise may cause the family is simply the price of doing business in the quest for asset growth.

Just as in the case of a producer of shoddy, deceptive and at worst, dangerous products, it’s the ‘choir’ of consumer and consumer advocates who must expose the harm done.

Flip

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

Congrats to your husband Prisila!

• Elders_Kid
    Elders_Kid

Congratulations!!!
    Maybe if my dad would have done that a long time ago we could still have some form of a relationship. Think of it as meeting your husband for the first time, now you won't have to plan your life around his meetings, phone calls, etc.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

I think y'all should go out and have a celebration afterwards

Lizard

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Marvin, I find the term "deleted" to be distasteful because it gives the impression the body of elders has made a decision to remove an elder and it gives the impression to the congregation that he may have been removed for some sort of misconduct.

A resignation could carry negative ideas as well, but often it implies a personal and principled decision to give up a position for a good reason.

I believe the announcement to the congregation should use the proper terms to give the correct impression to the congregation. The Society is well known for it's carefully choosing it's terminology and the congregation is well-known for its gossip when only given token information.

Path

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

After "stepping down" you should make sure you do some "stepping out".

Enjoy.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• AvailableLight
    AvailableLight

Here's an idea for resignation:

What could they do if during a TMS assignment or service meeting part you took 30 seconds and made the following announcement yourself:

"I'd like to take a brief moment to inform the congregation that I have decided to discontinue serving as an/a [elder|ministerial servant] due to matters of principle and personal issues. I look forward to continuing to serve God alongside you as friends."

Make no mention to any of the body that you were planning to make this announcement, so everyone is equally surprised. Then simply cease to attend elder's meetings. When pressed by the other elders for reasons, refuse to give them and kindly mention that the reasons were private and that the elders were no more entitled to them than the members of the congregation. How good would that be?

• out4good3
    out4good3

A resignation like that is sure to cause quite a stir in the gossip mill in the congregation. I can just imagine all the puzzled looks everyone will be giving everybody.

• AvailableLight
    AvailableLight

out4good3-

True, but who cares? Is that really any different than what happens when the announcement of a deletion or removal is made?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit