New Blog Post: why did God seemingly allow Cain to get away with murder?

by adamah 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Simon
    Simon

God didn't think up any rules in all the infinity he was sat around planning things and his prescience was on the blink so he didn't see that he would need to.

Once things started to go down though his immutable righteous sense of justice meant that he stuck to ... oh, no, he kept changing the rules all the time in every other book.

Yeah, it almost looks as though it was a bunch of concocted stories by people with an agenda but it wasn't. It was god. We know this for certain because the concocted stories tell us so.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

God made physical laws, like gravity and thermodynamics. Then he sat back and said "it is good." We know that that's all he cares about, because those are the only things that he enforces. We care about the laws that we make, not the ones that we don't make. So we care about our societal laws, because we made them. God, on the other hand, only made basic phsyical laws, and does not care about human societal laws, as is shown by his perpetual indifference and waffling on who he likes and doesn't like.

The only thing we have to really worry about, is if scientists decide to somehow break these physical laws, open up a time travel portal, drill down into the center of the earth and unleash Cthulhu, or some shit that goes contrary to those basic laws. Compare mass genocide and global warming. Mass genocide has happened, and will happen, without any retribution from God. He gives exactly two shits about mass genocide. Global warming, on the other hand, is serious business. Mankind is warming the atmosphere by tapping into ancient dinosaur remains buried deep in the earth, releasing a lot of carbon dioxide, and as we can see, hell is breaking loose. God is furious, and we will pay.

Abel's murder? He simply does not care. It made for good story-telling. Six million jews gassed and starved to death? "It is good," in his words. But as soon as we start using too much hydrocarbon-based fuel, he goes apeshit.

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said- So it wasn't eye for eye... *shrugs*... it was still an accounting for the blood he had shed. He got away with nothing. Sigh, TEC. Which comes first: Genesis 4/5 or Genesis 9? It was only LATER IN GENESIS 9 that God BLESSED mankind by saying that from THEN ON, God would "demand an accounting for spilled blood". It was only then that God said the policy would be "I will demand their lifeblood". NOT before. Again, a sin HAS to be declared as a sin to provide fair notice to mankind. God apparently decided it was easier just to "clean the slate" and start anew rather than making an announcement, allow opportunity for repentance/salvation, etc. Again, believers are quick to rely on the concept of "God must prohibit an action to declare it as a chargeable sin" (eg as Paul did) when it comes to excusing Cain and Abel's incest and Lamech's bigamy (all acts which later WERE declared to be "sins" under Mosaic Law), but then not to use the SAME EXACT principle to see that God's prohibition of bloodshed didn't occur until AFTER the Flood. Once again, believers want it BOTH WAYS, AKA moving the goalposts. Fact is, though, Genesis 9 contains a World's first: God didn't prohibit bloodshed (murder/manslaughter) until AFTER the Flood, and hence seemingly "forgot" to make it a sin. Ooops.... Adam Adam

• tec
    tec

Says it right in the account Adamah... that murder was wrong (all wrongdoing is sin). Cain was exiled for his sin. You continue to ignore this. Or perhaps you are too enamored by your own reasoning that you CANNOT see it.

Cain did not get away with murder. You know it. That is why you had to add the word 'seemingly' to your thread title.

If nothing was a sin before the flood... then why was the word used to begin with when God warned Cain that sin was crouching at his door? If nothing was wrong with Cain having killed his brother... then why was he exiled for doing it? Cain even says, "My PUNISHMENT is more than I can bear."

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

Sorry for the repost, so just ignore the above post without formatting. I cannot back in it to edit? (I get the dreaded "an error occurred handling your request", even 1 minute after posting). However, I restarted my browser, and see I have formatting capabilities back when posting.

TEC said- So it wasn't eye for eye... *shrugs*... it was still an accounting for the blood he had shed. He got away with nothing.

Sigh, TEC.

Which comes first: Genesis 4/5 or Genesis 9?

It was only LATER, IN GENESIS 9, that God BLESSED mankind by saying that from THEN ON, God would "demand an accounting for spilled blood".

It was only AFTER THE FLOOD that God said the policy would be from then on, "I will demand their lifeblood". NOT before.

Are you having a hard time admitting that your so-called "unchangeable God" finally got the clue, and toughened up bloodshed policy by seeing that demanding 'lex talionis' justice seemed like a good idea?

Again, a sin HAS to be declared as a 'chargeabe sin' to provide fair notice to mankind; that was Apostle Paul's explanation in Hebrews. Are you calling Paul a liar?

God apparently decided it was easier just to "clean the slate" and start anew rather than making an announcement, allow an opportunity for repentance/salvation, etc. That's the problem of God going with anarchy (no rules/law), and reliance on faith.

Again, believers are quick to rely on the concept of "God must prohibit an action and declare it as a chargeable sin" (eg as Paul did) when it comes to, eg excusing Cain and Abel's incest and Lamech's bigamy (all acts which later WERE declared to be "sins" under Mosaic Law), but then not to use the SAME EXACT principle to recognize that the prohibition of bloodshed didn't occur until AFTER the Flood.

Once again, believers want it BOTH WAYS, AKA moving the goalposts.

Fact is, though, Genesis 9 contains a World's first: God didn't prohibit bloodshed (murder/manslaughter) until AFTER the Flood, and hence seemingly "forgot" to declare it a 'chargeable sin' until the anarchy on the Earth got too much to continue to ignore. Ooops....

SImon said-

God didn't think up any rules in all the infinity he was sat around planning things and his prescience was on the blink so he didn't see that he would need to.

Yeah, it's very hard to discern between God's grand plan and someone who doesn't HAVE a plan (but just authors who engaged in a whole lot of post-hoc rationalizations to excuse their God's inactivity).

Adam

• tec
    tec

Well, my response is above your repost. I managed the one paragraph ; )

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Cain even says, "My PUNISHMENT is more than I can bear."

Did you actually READ the article? I discussed the translation of the ancient Hebrew word 'avon in the article, but feel free to do your own research; here's a start:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/hebrew/nas/avon.html

Adam

• tec
    tec

Yes, I know, Adamah... but you also use the word 'likely' in what you think should be the translation. (the translation that best fits your hypothesis that God is to blame, the one you want to be true)

However, it follows that his punishment is more than he can bear... because God makes an allowance (shows mercy) regarding that... (his punishement) when Cain says that it is more than he can bear. You really have to twist it to read it as you are saying, and then it makes no sense.

"My punishment (or your version: inclination to sin) is more than I can bear. Today you are driving me from the land..."

You see, your theory falls apart right from the start, even if you want to play around with the translation (and I do agree that often the translation picked is the one that best suits the translators understanding, as you have also chosen to do here)... but the context makes it clear. Because the very next words "today you are driving me from the land"... IS the punishment Cain received for having murdered his brother, regardless of how you want to translate the first part of this verse.

He was not being driven from the land for an inclination (he was warned to gain mastery over that before it gained mastery over him). He was being driven from the land (the punishment) for murdering his brother.

There is another flaw that you base your article on though.

That being that dying was a punishment from God regarding eating of the tree of knowledge of good AND BAD.

But that is not so. That is merely your interpretation. God did not say... eat, and I will punish you with death. Or... Eat... and I will kill you. No. It was eat... and you will die. Consequence.

As for you also thinking that this is sin and punishment:

"whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed"

My Lord reminds me that He also said: "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword."

But he was not commanding men to kill with the sword any who lives by the sword. Only that living by the sword would bring about dying by the sword. Cause and effect. Action and reaction. Decision and consequence.

And it is Christ who shows us the Truth about God.

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Yes, I know, Adamah... but you also use the word 'likely' in what you think should be the translation. (the translation that best fits your hypothesis that God is to blame, the one you want to be true)

Unlike you, I use the word 'likely' without hesitation: I don't claim to have a BFF in Heaven who whispers sweet lil' insights into the meanings of the Bible, telling me what the Yahwist who wrote the account of Cain in Genesis REALLY MEANT to say. Rational people understand that Jesus died a long time ago, and remains dead.

As a result, I have to rely on admittedly more-boring methods such as conducting research, wading thru opinions and discussions amongst ancient and contemporary rabbis, etc, trying to discern the likely intended meaning of the account by considering the function it likely provided to those living in the original societal context in which the story was heard.

TEC said-

However, it follows that his punishment is more than he can bear... because God makes an allowance (shows mercy) regarding that... (his punishement) when Cain says that it is more than he can bear. You really have to twist it to read it as you are saying, and then it makes no sense.

"My punishment (or your version: inclination to sin) is more than I can bear. Today you are driving me from the land..."

You see, your theory falls apart right from the start, even if you want to play around with the translation (and I do agree that often the translation picked is the one that best suits the translators understanding, as you have also chosen to do here)... but the context makes it clear. Because the very next words "today you are driving me from the land"... IS the punishment Cain received for having murdered his brother, regardless of how you want to translate the first part of this verse.

Hey, I agree with YOU.

Although you DO realize that you are contradicting Apostle Paul's explanation now, and telling him that HE is wrong? (I don't agree with Paul, either, as I said, but for a different reason which I explained in my article.)

Read Hebrews 4/5, as you're missing the point of Paul's claim: he introduced the early Christian apologetic argument to excuse God's lax punishment for Cain committing murder with his "no chargeable sin, no punishment". That was Paul's concept, NOT mine. I mentioned it, since the account itself tends to suggest otherwise! In fact, I doubt Paul fully understood the account served as an introduction to the go-el' (avenger of the spilled blood of a relative), so he offered ANOTHER explanation that wasn't even needed. Paul was a Greek; he wouldn't know the about the blood avenger, since it had long since been discontinued (about 500 yrs before his time).

Although God didn't officially prohibit bloodshed until AFTER the Flood, it doesn't change the fact that like so many other accounts in Genesis (eg the so-called rape of Dinah story), the Cain account serves a purpose of touting how much more improved the Mosaic laws are (they're in the same book, after all). The account of Cain is written with the GOAL of showing how much greater the institution of cities of refuge were than Cain's plight of being forced to wander the Earth, with the new, improved concept of a familial 'go-el' who was allowed to chase after killers (whether murderer or accidental manslaughter), and kill them with impunity if they didn't make it to the 'city of refuge'.

See how great God-given justice is? Wouldn't it be COOL to be able to murder someone like, I dunno, say a 70 yr old grandmother who lost consciousness while behind the wheel due to epilepsy (1st time episode), and they killed one of your family members? Just grab the nearest killing implement, and start whacking on her while she's unconscious? Wouldn't THAT be great?

That's God-given justice, Old Testament style.

TEC said-

There is another flaw that you base your article on though. That being that dying was a punishment from God regarding eating of the tree of knowledge of good AND BAD. But that is not so. That is merely your interpretation. God did not say... eat, and I will punish you with death. Or... Eat... and I will kill you. No. It was eat... and you will die. Consequence.

Yeah, we've beaten that horse to death. We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one, since you claim the fruit is poisonous, and death occurred due to natural consequences. Utterly absurd, without any basis in scriptural interpretation to rest on (and in fact, to the contrary: eg "thru sin, death entered the World" Heck, I qoute the same relevant scripture in the article, but for a different purpose).

TEC said-

As for you also thinking that this is sin and punishment: "whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed"

My Lord reminds me that He also said: "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword."

But he was not commanding men to kill with the sword any who lives by the sword. Only that living by the sword would bring about dying by the sword. Cause and effect. Action and reaction. Decision and consequence. And it is Christ who shows us the Truth about God.

Thanks, but I'm talking about an account in Genesis 4 involving Cain and Abel; you DO realize that's only like a couple millenia BEFORE Jesus was around, right, to utter his "he who lives by the sword" thing? Are you moving Bible characters around thru time and space?

Adam

• Glander
    Glander

Why did he allow Lot and daughters to get away with incest?

Why did he let David get away with premeditated murder of an innocent, loyal man?

The inconsistencies go on and on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit