I told my wife that she was in a cult...

by garyneal 16 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

...it is not the first time I did this but from time to time when I get frustrated I tend to say things I later regret, like this.

She went to the meeting this past Sunday and apparently she heard a talk about watching her associations. She told me that she was glad to have that talk because the message was timely for her. You see, the Saturday night prior she and my kids were at her sisters house and her sister and friends suggested that she hang out with them sometime. Now my sister in law mostly hangs out at other people's house drinking and partying and my wife said she did not want to be a part of that. Okay, I thought, whatever she wants to do as long as it is not too over the top or causes her to forget she's married, etc..

The next point she made was concerning me and my posting here. Evidently, I am an apostate which I have to remind her that an apostate is a person who has left his or her religion. Since I was never a Jehovah's Witness nor have I formally renounced my faith in Christianity, I am not an apostate by the biblical or even dictionary definition of the word. I am an apostate by association with you all who are apostates of the Jehovah's Witnesses. It is so hard to get her to see the reason on this when she is stuck on the whole guilt by association fallacy and the loading of the language redefining the word apostate to apply it to me.

But I did finally come up with an example that I thought would help her understand. If I am an apostate, she is a cultist. I asked her does it matter that I can redefine the word cultist or cult and apply it to her? If correct definitions matter, right? I proceeded to tell her that she has been saying lately that she wants to be more herself and less like the person she hangs out with, less a social chameleon. As long as she participates in this religion she will told what to think, what to do, and how to act. She recently threw a party for our little 3 year old and I cannot tell the world on facebook what a wonderful job she did (and I noticed she gets questions about the event from her mom). She responded with, "So I guess my job is a cult then." "Perhaps," I said, "the difference is what would happen if you leave your job aside from the obvious loss of pay. Would your mom still accept you if you left your religion? If you can say yes, you're not in a cult."

I think it got to her for she went silent. You see, when she says she does not want to be a social chameleon, I sometimes think she refers to her putting on masks at the hall.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Good for you! Made her think a little at least.

• adamah
    adamah

Gary Neal said-

Since I was never a Jehovah's Witness nor have I formally renounced my faith in Christianity, I am not an apostate by the biblical or even dictionary definition of the word. I am an apostate by association with you all who are apostates of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Well close, but not really....

Per JW practices for decades now, it's not about your being 'guilty by association', but EVERYONE who speaks out publicly, even if not baptized, is guilty of apostasy for publicly criticizing the WT.

But that point aside, kudos on getting her to start thinking (and I just wanted to point out your error, since it's not going to help you to go in to discussions carrying misconceptions of JW policy).

Adam

• whathappened
    whathappened

Jehovah's Witnesses think they have a right to lable everyone else but how dare anyone put lables on them. The bully people with the lable "apostate."

They are only going to get more and more bad press. Hopefully our loved ones are smart enough to get out sooner rather than later.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Jesus was an apostate. He is my hero!

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

Yeah, if you're not FOR THE WT, you're against them...thus you're an "apostate" Especially if you're bound to one by marriage or some other relation. Since you're a spouse...you'd be considered an "opposing mate"...and since you're here, yes, and "apostate" as well.

PS, you're "feeding at the table of DEMONS!!!!" Scary isn't it? Happy Halloween! LOL

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

“Yeah, if you're not FOR THE WT, you're against them…” Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes!

• garyneal
    garyneal

https://www.google.com/#q=apostate

a·pos·tate ?'päs?tat , -tit / noun noun: apostate ; plural noun: apostates

1. 1. a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle.
      synonyms:dissenter, defector, deserter, traitor, backslider, turncoat ; More nonconformist ; schismatic ; archaic heretic ; rare recusant, recreant, tergiversator " after 50 years as an apostate, he returned to the faith "
      antonyms:follower
    adjective adjective: apostate
    1. 1. abandoning a religious or political belief or principle.
  • garyneal
    garyneal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy

Some consequences for it that the Watchtower can only envy:

The following are some nations that treat apostasy under their criminal laws.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Well a loose definition would essentially be anyone who has ever changed their mind. Lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit