Have your prescription meds skyrocketed in price?

by compound complex 28 Replies latest jw friends

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Berengaria I have United Healthcare thru AARP

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Last January I happened to read the Costco newsletter. It had a chart of about 7 commonly used medications and various prices charged by Costco and about 10 competitors. My jaw dropped when I saw the price for Lexapro. (antidepressant) The price I was paying at Wallmart was $107. for 30 pills 10 mg. The price at Costco was $11. for 90 pills 20mg. This translates to a 6 mo supply (by breaking in half) of less than $2 a month for a monthly savings of $100. !!! OTOH, Wallmart was only $4 a month for another med. It PAYS to shop RXs!!! Best of luck BTW, these were both generic prices.

• jam
    jam

QUESTION; Will there be an increase in our Medicare coverage???

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

There is still no monthly payment but we are now on a 40% copay according to our United Healthcare for 2014

• jam
    jam

Correction, will our premium increase for Medicare coverage??

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

No charge for prescriptions here.

• smiddy
    smiddy

My wife was diagnosed with parkinsons disease 6 years ago and she has just been put on a new drug.I got a shock to see the actual price was $354:17 for a pack of 100 , whereas we only had to pay $5:90 thanks to the PBS system.

smiddy

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

The Orphan drug program in the US had been abused. I have personal experience with this. The particular company lost a lawsuit for testing it without proper approval from the FDA. This is a drug mind you, that was not developed by any pharma company, it was in health food stores for $35 a bottle. Now that the government decided it was an orphan drug which means only one manufacturer allowed, and one distributor allowed, and they can put ANY price on it they want. There are no other sources, even outside the US! Believe me even the Dr has been trying to find sources for his paitents.

It went from maybe $100 to increasing each month or two until it is now over $9,000 thats no typo, and it is still going up. There is no substitue for it for those that so desperatly need it to function during the day. The insurance pays right now. It dropped the drug coverage for that one for about a year. We had to jump through hoops with the pharma company, and then got it free. Even that angers me. I am willing to pay the reasonalble price, the $50 copay. The drug company is ripping off insurance companies and they know they have all the power to do so.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning and thank you, Listener, gma, 3rdgen, jam, slimboy, smiddy and nonjw, for posting.

My dad worked in a drug store as a teenager and said there was a huge mark up then.

I'm sorry to hear some of you have been affected to an extent greater than I. And "orphan drugs" -- shocking to and frustrating for those in need. Many individuals have been hit, as well as the little indie pharmacies that struggle to stay afloat. I was told to look into AARP coverage, which my pharmacy takes.

Thanks again for contributing.

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit