Teenage Jehovah's Witness loses court bid to refuse life-saving blood transfusion

by Sapphy 14 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-27/jehovahs-witness-loses-bid-to-refuse-blood/4985476

Interesting verdict, that despite the judge "... noting he was highly intelligent, a "mature minor" and devoted to his faith, the judge also found the boy had been "cocooned in that faith" for his entire life."

The young man is 18 in 5 months and will be able to refuse treatment after that.

• designs
    designs

Let's hope he gets good medical care and the treatments work. He'll be glad in a few years if he beats the cancer and can go on to live a normal life.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

He's 18 in January. Will they have time to treat him properly before he's in a position to refuse?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I love these phrases:

While noting he was highly intelligent, a "mature minor" and devoted to his faith, the judge also found the boy had been "cocooned in that faith" for his entire life.

"The sanctity of life in the end is a more powerful reason for me to make the orders than is respect for the dignity of the individual," Justice Gzell said at the time.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Yay!! Another success story!! (Sort of, but count the blessings right?)!!

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Good. Let's hope this is used as case law for years to come.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am glad. He is so close in age to making his own decisions. Perhaps it will help.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Very good article here, giving more details, sent by a friend.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/teen-witness-must-have-a-transfusion-rules-judge-20130417-2i0lc.html

"Apart from ripping out the IV if he could, X and his father would otherwise obey the court order, Judge Gzell found."

Sigh

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Let's hope for the sake this boy, and of common sense, that the transfusion goes well!

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

Id really like to keep track of this kid. It will be interesting what kind of strategy the court and doctors use once he actually turns 18. I mean, im pretty sure cancer treatment takes much longer that justa few months. And if he stops treatment on his 18th birthday then the gains of just a few months will quickly be lost and he will die. It seems to me that his only hope is that he starts to get cold feet before he stops treatment and better still, some serious doubts about the correctness of his faith. With all eyes on him that will be hard to do. Maybe he'll figure that to live at this point being saved by blood transfusions that he, lets say decided to keep taking, would result in shunning and loss of his entire social life. And everyone he loves; so it would be better to die honorably.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit