The Elders have been demoted to Dukes

by Quarterback 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Here is a link to JW.org where the article gets interesting around paragraph 17.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20131115/seven-shepherds-eight-dukes/

NJY

• blondie
  • wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

marking

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

It instructs the Elders to not question the instrutions they receive

The WT has such a stellar record of great advice so far, why would anyone question it?:

Jesus returned in 1874

Oops, 1914

Armageddon is coming in 1914

oops, 1915

1920's: don't get married, Armageddon is coming soon; if married, don't have children, Armageddon is coming soon.

Rutherford playing kissy-face with Hitler. Hitler doesn't bite, Rutherford pisses him off. Yeah, that went real well for German Jehovah's Witnesses.

1925: Armageddon is coming soon and Abraham and others (Rutherford) need a sweet mansion in San Diego. Oh, and two 16 cylinder Cadillacs.

Oops. Let's quietly sell Abraham's house (i.e. Rutherford's house) because 'we don't need it anymore'.

1975: sell all your stuff and Pioneer, Armageddon is coming soon. Don't get married, don't have children, Armageddon is coming soon.

Oops, my bad.

Don't get an education, save for retirement or invest for the future. Pioneer and "serve the Kingdom", god will take care of everything for you.

Now that all of you JW's are poor because you didn't get an education, save for retirement or invest, we want whatever little money you may have.

No cash? No problem! We have ATM's in the assembly Halls and you can set up monthly credit card drafts at JW.Org.

NGO with the UN for ten years.

Mexico/Malawi.

Sparlock.

Candice Conti.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

A classic example of straw man arguments against university:

"Now is the time for any who may be putting their trust in secular education, material things, or human institutions to adjust their thinking."

The WT, instead of recognizing the varied reasons why a witness might attend a 2 or 4 year college program, phrases it as "putting their trust" in secular education.

As opposed to what, religious education? Religious schooling has it's place, but what can replace secular education in science, math and engineering?

How will religious training help you support yourself?

Since I don't "put my trust" in education, money or human institutions (especially the WT), there is nothing in this advice for me.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

17 Elders, you can learn some helpful lessons from what we have just discussed: (1) The best thing you can do to prepare for the future attack of “the Assyrian” is to strengthen your faith in God and help your brothers to do the same. (2) When “the Assyrian” attacks, you must be completely convinced that Jehovah will save us. (3) At that time, the direction that you receive from Jehovah’s organization may seem strange or unusual. But all of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether we agree with them or not, because obeying these instructions will save our lives. (4) If any are putting their trust in the education of this world, material things, or human organizations, they must change their way of thinking now. You must be ready to help any who may not be putting their complete trust in Jehovah.

Defiantly a weird article. Obey!!! I get a creepy Jim Jones vibe. But I think LostGeneration is right : they are just too big of an entity to do something like that.

16Soon, Jehovah’s people will again be attacked by an “Assyrian,” or enemy, that will try to destroy them. The Scriptures refer to that attack as well as the attack of ‘Gog of Magog,’ the attack of “the king of the north,” and the attack of “the kings of the earth.” (Ezekiel 38:2, 10-13; Daniel 11:40, 44, 45; Revelation 17:14; 19:19) Are these different attacks? We do not know. The Bible could be using different names to describe the same attack.

Or, you could be talking out of your ass as usual.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

The next article emphasizes how the Sheep have to obey the Shepherds and the Undershepherds, and not use their "imperfections" as an excuse to disobey them.

I wouldn't call pedophilia an imperfection. I call it a reason to execute!

What an enormous crock of crap, the WT org, their magazines, their personnel, their attitudes, their whole money-sucking, manipulative operation.

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

"Just the good ole boys! Never meaning no harm!"

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've said it before. Elders need liability insurance. If they are depending on "mother" to protect them, forget it!

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

So the GB can give advice beyond human reasoning, but they just can't figure out what this Modern day Assyrian attack is all about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit