Kirk Cameron Unstoppable tonight at theaters , live from Liberty University

by Violia 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• Zoos
    Zoos

I think he's also a few picket signs shy of being the next Fred Phelps.

This guy is whacked!

• glenster
    glenster

Too conservative

In November 2009, Cameron and others distributed free copies of an altered version of Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species on college campuses in the United States. The book consisted of Darwin's text with chapters of the book removed, and with an added introduction by Ray Comfort reiterating common creationist assertions about Darwin and evolution. The book was criticized by scientists and Darwin biographers who criticized the omission of key chapters of the book, and who stated that its introduction contains misinformation about Darwin, and long-refuted creationist arguments about the science of evolution, such as the linking of Nazi racial theories to Darwinist ideas. Comfort later said that the four chapters were chosen at random to be omitted in order to make the book small enough to be affordable as a giveaway, with the absent chapters available for download, but that the missing chapters were included in the second edition, which had a smaller text size that made printing the entire book as a giveaway affordable. The second edition still lacks Darwin's preface and glossary of terms. The National Center for Science Education arranged a campaign to distribute an analysis of the Comfort introduction and a banana bookmark at colleges across the U.S.

In March 2012, Cameron stated on Piers Morgan Tonight that "homosexuality is unnatural, detrimental and ultimately destructive to foundations of civiliza- tion". Cameron's comments received criticism from GLAAD, and provoked a backlash from gay rights activists and members of the entertainment industry, including Roseanne Barr, Kristin Chenoweth, Craig Ferguson, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Debra Messing, Martha Plimpton, as well as Growing Pains co-stars Tracey Gold and Alan Thicke. Piers Morgan stated that Cameron was brave for expressing his opinion, "however antiquated his beliefs may be". Rosie O'Donnell invited him to discuss his comments on same-sex marriage on The Rosie Show, but he declined and sugges- ted a private dinner to discuss this topic personally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Cameron

• Violia
    Violia

I am no longer a sheeple . People are feeling sad and he is offering encouragement. I can listen to his message and even if the messenger is imperfect, I might still get encouragement from it. I'm not joining his church and I certainly do not agree with him on everything.

Even the jws get some things right. I always found the " James" book very encouraging . I find parts of the Bible encouraging too. I recall a song that said " whatever gets you through the night is alright..." . Hope is just that, hope. Once I hoped to live in on the earth after armageddon. Others hope to live in heaven after death. Hope is all anyone is offering and we do need hope.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

You talk as if a bible thumping hucksters is the only possible source of hope in the world. I think that is short sighted. You could read an uplifting book, call a friend who is more positive, take a walk in a beautiful spot, read beautiful poetry, listen to uplifting music, contribute to a worthy cause, bake cookies and give them away, meditate, talk to psychologist able about why you see no hope, or hug your dog.

With all the world's problems, there are still many good things happening. The dubs convinced us that the world was doomed, no hope, we needed God's kingdom. You realized that was a lie, but you seem to still hang on to the "no hope" part. Have you considered that it is your perception, not reality, that there is no hope? Listening to Kirk Cameron or any other bible thumpers like him might make you feel better temporarily, but is that the solution? What do they offer long term? What are they doing to help you be a more positive person after you leave? Making positive steps to make the world better may not be as enjoyable in the short term, but it will be a start to building a better, more authentic life that doesn't need hype.

I am not against religion per se but there are many churches that don't rely on this all style, no substance evangelism. They have given up fire and brimstone to focus on spirituality and a more personal, rational approach to religion. If you think religion is your only path to live a more positive life, why not check out one of those? Being part of a faith based community can be part of a healthy, hopeful life, as these others can support you as you learn to be more positive person.

Just my two cents, of course it's your life and your decision.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

How does he know he wasn't holding the banana backwards? Has anyone ever asked him that? Atheist or Evangelical, if you are helping children from the kindness of your heart then you have my respect.

• Violia
    Violia

Lisa rose I agree all the things you mentioned are sources of encouragement. I think this film is too. I can find encouragement from all sorts of things.

The solution is for us all to do our part in our community - start there. Get involved in what happens in your own community. Donate time to an org that helps children and those who can't help themselves.

You really can't stop evil people but you might avoid becoming their victims. I find some "Bible thumpers" to be helpful and I also find talks on TED to be helpful. I try and draw encouragement from whatever source I can.

You talk as if a bible thumping hucksters is the only possible source of hope in the world.

and your response sounds like I am allowed to draw encouragement from anything else but the Bible. Not everyone is a "huckster" and recall that we are all human so if I wait for a perfect person to deliver a message from God, I could be waiting a very long time. It is called, take what helps and leave the rest.

again, whatever gets you through the night is alright....

I found this you tube to be funny but helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJXtCUBwBCI

• adamah
    adamah

LR said-

What do they offer long term? What are they doing to help you be a more positive person after you leave? Making positive steps to make the world better may not be as enjoyable in the short term, but it will be a start to building a better, more authentic life that doesn't need hype.

Exactly.

Notice how the focus on Violia's post is 'I', 'MY feeling hope'. There are OTHER living beings on this Planet besides you, Violia.

Religious appeals are often only thinly-veiled appeals to one's personal narcissism, boiling down to focusing on one's relationship with an invisible being where the only partner in the "loving" relationship that is actually discernable is the BELIEVER, who's concerned with basking in the LUV of God and Jesus (while simultaneously knowing they're saving THEIR eternal soul).

One is tempted to tell believers that they should get a room (oh, wait: I guess that's what prayer booths are for).

The PROBLEM is that religion claims to be the UNIVERSAL 'one-stop' solution, claiming to have all the answers; most don't encourage such 'ala carte' beliefs, where they claim that you're either "all in" (by believing with your whole heart, mind, faith), or you're "all out".

Adam

• Violia
    Violia

I did not get the impression that this film claims to have all the answers, b/c as we know, no one does. He is giving a message about his personal journey and what helped his faith in God. I do not seem harm in this. No one is advising folks to just sit on their hands and wait for God to fix the world. You can be a part of the solution ( helping others) and still believe in God or NOT. This is your choice. His message in the film is one of renewing our faith in God despite the very bad world conditions . He is just trying to help encourage the weary . I am just taking what helps and leaving the rest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit