How did Rutherford come to Power?

by Daniel1555 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

In the last WT Article it was said that 4 of the 7 directors rebelled against the decision to install Rutherford as president in 1916. Then it is said that they left in 1917; a cleansing happened indeed.

Does anyone of you know the details how Rutherford came to power?

If 4 out of 7 are against it, that doesn't seem to me allright. One sister said in her comment at the meeting, it wasn't obviously democratic but it was "theocratic".

I wondered if she thought Jesus himself came down to the US to have Rutherford appointed.

• zeb
    zeb

not unless he was an alcoholic

• breakfast of champions
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Several threads here discussed this in detail. I read the wikipedia article. As a former corporate lawyer, I don't believe the complete story is available. Corporate law may have been different in NY and PA in those days. Something is just not right with the accounts. Rutherford basically wrested control. Russell left a last will and testament designating directors. I don't see how that would be valid. The corporate by laws would govern selection of directors. Each side hired corporate lawyers to give opinion letters as to the validity of the director appointments. No side ever sought a judicial determination.

Hire a lawyer and enough qualifiations will be found to justify what you want to do.

Some member posted in response to my questions that the Bible Students were small in number. It was not the WT we know. Bible Students were not centrally controlled. The antiRutherford faction may have decided not to waste resources going to court. Letting Rutherford leave and maintaining Russell era principles in their congregations may have been more prudent.

There are Bible Student groups to this day.

Opposing legal opinions never solve any issue. Judges and appellate courts decide. I helped write opinion letters for corporations. They offer "safe harbors" from certain forms of government action. They tend to involve complex matters involving statutroy or administrative law. When courts have yet to rule and litigation might take decades, opinion letters are useful.

The corporate structures of the WT are fascinating. Shareholders are interesting, too.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, I didn't know there was a WP article about it. The most detail in any one thread on the board might be here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/230352/1/How-exactly-did-J-F-Rutherford-wrest-control-for-himself-over-the-Watchtower-Society

I've done my best to fill in some of the blanks there recently, though I freely admit to not understanding all the details. But it looks like what I've written agrees with the WP article, and my posts have some interesting details as quoted from the 1917 publications by Rutherford and his foes, for anyone who's interested in "the long story".

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Daniel1555 - "How did Rutherford come to power?"

Ruthlessness will always prevail over fairness and decency in the short term.

In the long run, however, it fosters an environment that - ultimately - fairness and decency are able to defeat.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

BOC,

Making your link clickable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Tower_Society_presidency_dispute_(1917)

A dispute developed in 1917 within the leadership of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society following the death of society president Charles Taze Russell and election of legal counsel Joseph Franklin Rutherford as his successor. An acrimonious battle ensued between Rutherford and four of the society's seven directors, who accused him of autocratic behavior and sought to reduce his powers. Rutherford claimed the dissident directors had formed a conspiracy to seize control of the society and overcame the challenge by gaining a legal opinion that his four opposers had not been legally appointed. He subsequently replaced them with four new sympathetic directors. [1] [2] The four ousted directors later gained 12 legal opinions that Rutherford's actions were "wholly unlawful". The leadership crisis divided the Bible Student community and helped contribute to the loss of one-seventh of the Watch Tower adherents by 1919.......click link for more....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit