Shooting at Navy Yard

by Kool Jo 28 Replies latest social current

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Terroristic acts and murder remain heinous crimes regardless of the occupation of the victim. This reminds me of the Witnesss. For your information, I could well be a diplomat or U.S. Attorney. September 11th was not fun. The people who died at Ground Zero and the Pentagon were not evil. Public law views military action in the field as different from sitting at a base.

The U.S. military is not an evil force. The service people do not make foregin policy. They follow orders. The New York Police Department officers saved me from death or serious bodily injury many times. If you don't like policy, write to the U.S. President or the mayor. They are paid fairly well and have the glamour. Complain to members of Congress. It is their job. Service people do not exist to be murdered by a thug.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hear, hear BOTR.

• cofty
    cofty

mp you are wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start.

Jgnat has responed to you on this thread..... let's discuss it there.

My sympathy to the families of those who were murdered.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Mp

The Washington Navy Yard is a ceremonial and administrative center (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Navy_Yard) . Nobody there was bombing anybody. The victims of the shooting were civilian contractors, making them even more removed from violence. In other words they were ordinary folks doing jobs to support their families.

In my opinion you might find it beneficial to contemplate the idea that being an arrogant, self-righteous, ignorant blowhard carries its own karmic burden.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Well said, Jeff.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

An interesting facet of this shooting is the site and the timing.

It occurred less than a week after the Chinese Admiral Wu Shengli visiting the USA, had talks with US Navy Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jonathan Greenert, some of which seem to have been at the Washington Navy Yard.

Probably no connection, unless the mentally disturbed man involved saw a connection.

Reference: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=76608

• mP
    mP

frazzled;

I think the overall spirit of my responses was fair. The way others are stretching the truths and making blanket statements. ALmost none of them refer to examples, i dont know if thats out of ignorant or they are shamed. They just say personal feelings which lets be fair dont count. Why say they didnt mean it, thats just stupid and a childish effort. None talk about the raw numbers because they are a disagrace.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

mP - my point about how you express your views stands. You would get a better response to your opinions if you said 'I disagree with you because...' or 'I disagree with you for the following reasons...' Refering to examples is all very well but if they are selective then they may still be misleading. You would do well to move away from black and white thinking and recongnise that the world is complex and sometimes we cannot have all the answers and we need to listen to others and test what they say and update our understanding accordingly. Also remember what I said about the value judgements and also challenge yourself - understand your own assumptiosn and biases. This will lead to personal growth. Frazzled

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My husband is a retired military warrant officer. Because of him and people like him, the rest of us are free to live our lives without fear of our losing our freedoms, including the freedom to say stupid things, and criticize those who serve. Had he and others not served, we might not have those freedoms, because if we didn't have the military, we would have long since fallen to the Nazis or some other despotic form of government. Then not only would MP not have the freedom to criticize the military, he probably wouldn't have the freedom to choose not to be a part of it. Now that would be karma.

My husband didn't always agree with the decisions made by his commander in chief, but he recognized that was a part of being in the military, and a strong military is a necessary evil. He is the most well balanced and sane person I know. Most people in the military are good people, who are doing a job many people won't, and they often have to go to places the rest of us wouldn't want to, in conditions that are not pleasant, to say the least. My heart goes out to those who lost loved one's in this terrible way. That is not Karma, it's just a tragedy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit