Experiences With The Elders

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I remember when I was the school overseer for years and personal regular organized and organization-encouraged shepherding calls was something fairly new. I couldn't get hardly anyone to agree to a visit. They were sure that elder visits were for those "in trouble." They were doubly sure that whatever they told me would get them a school talk assignment on that very subject.

I doubt much has changed over the years on this.

When I was "courting" my now-wife, some of our chaperones felt that they needed to tell the elders that we were getting too "familiar" with each other. So I found myself meeting with a couple of elders. I took their counsel seriously and thanked them. But I wound up back before them a few weeks later for the exact same reason.

This time, I asked what was I doing wrong. They talked about fondling and petting and the like. I told them none of that had taken place and I convinced them I firmly believed that. They ended with me and went and talked to her. She confirmed that none of that was so. They figured it was just the over zealous thinking of the chaperones.

So they meet back with me and asked why I didn't defend myself the first time. I said that I was "accepting" counsel and applying it whether or not I thought I needed it, just as the publications and the talks told me to do. They got all weird about it like I was not helping them by making it look like I was guilty of something when I did not object to the counsel I first received.

I learned to counter whatever counsel was received and actually gained more respect from the elders, and I suspect that many members do the same- counter whatever counsel is offered hoping it makes them look more "righteous" than just accepting counsel that the elders would automatically assume must have been needed.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

The answers here are going to vary widely. Why? Because JW's are in many ways just like everyone else. There are good people, true believers, captive to a concept, that still do their best. They ignore things that sound judgemental, and embrace things that keep power in check.

I had many of these guys in my life, while I suspect most here did not. It makes it more difficult to leave, when you don't have a specific instance of abuse, or a pattern of abuse from some jerk elder who shines it on you every chance he gets, in order to help create and filter anger. I left purely because of doctrinal wackiness. Now I realize that even the best elder, will most likely obey "mother" against their own conscience and that is sad.

Mostly however, my dealing with elders were good. I have a fairly strong personality and there was always one or two (once I was in my 20's, assumingly because they felt threatened or something), that liked to try to keep me in check. I largely ignored them. Unfortunately, my worst and most interesting encounter with one of the guys that are part of the problem, was when I had already woken up to so many things. Because I felt like I had little to lose, I think I came off as challenging this guy. He was an ex-CO and had something to prove. The hall can't stand him.....still.

Well he took up that challenge, and we went there. I'll tell the story some day. Still though, most of the elders in my life......very good people.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Up until a few years ago I really had no experience with the elders I mean other then the hello and goodbye at the meetings. My husband and I really had no problems that warranted a meeting with them so imagine our shock when we went to them after finding out one of our trusted " brothers "molested our 10 year old child. Yeah, it was nothing we expected! We were in need of some of that shelter from the storm we hear of so often at the meetings but instead experienced what seemed to us a interrogation of our scared child!! It went down hill from there... In the end, we sadly learned the elders are men who follow their leaders even if it kills their god given conscience to do so!

• minimus
    minimus

otwo, that was an interesting response.

• KWJoe
    KWJoe

For the most part, the elders in the congregation I grew up in, were very kind and loving men. As krejames mentioned, they deal with lots of things that they are just not equipped to handle. When I had my JC in 1980, the three brothers on the committee had known me since birth. Lots of history together....pioneered with one....was MS for several years. When I came out to them as gay, I could tell they had absolutely no idea how to proceed. At the time, they were late 40s to around 60. In my case, they continued on and on with questions that I thought were inappropriate. Many who, what, when, wheres........especially the "what" kind of questions. And because I confessed, with the objective of remaining in, I felt obligated to answer every question....demonstrating repentance. The most uncomfortable 2 hours of my life.....well, in the top ten anyway. My result was being df'd for 2+ years.

• minimus
    minimus

Elders have NO EXPERIENCE in LIFE!

• hoser
    hoser

What they call an experienced elder is one who pioneered, went to bethel, maybe a stint as a CO

As for experience with a family or dealing with people's complex issues no experience whatsoever

• minimus
    minimus

I was 24, newly married with a small kid, and I was supposed to counsel 50 year old husbands and wives about how they should run their families.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

The elders I grew up with were kind brothers who really cared about the flock. They would spend nights being with ones in the hospital. They also knew how to have fun. They would coordinate multi-congregation gatherings to have a picnic, baseball, vollyball, etc.

When new, younger elders came on board, everything changed. The elders wanted to be bosses instead of servants. Having fun ended. If a brother was accused of over drinking or some other wrong at a gathering, then the elders would also accuse the "host" of being involved in encouraging the wrong.

I got to learn that one or two elders you could talk to, but the majority did not care what I said. They always had their minds made up on a topic.

• minimus
    minimus

You can't just assume the elders acted arbitrarily. "Mother" told them to "tighten up". Now they're just "uptight".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit