Did your parents force spiritual goals on you?

by Comatose 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Comatose
    Comatose

I was thinking today about my childhood. I knew from a young age that the proper response to a question about what I wanted to be when I grew up was pioneering, missionary, bethel, or C.O. I was taught from childhood not to want to be a fireman or astronaut. No, I was to be a pioneer.

When I was very young I started pioneering. I never even considered my dreams. Biologist, archeologist, lawyer, or marketing were my secret wishes. I gave them up young. No sweat, here I am. I can't go back in time. But, doesn't it say a lot about it being a cult when your taught to pick goals that only serve an organization?

What about you? Were your dreams stolen? Did you have goals pushed on you?

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Yes, my dream of being a teacher, I knew I wanted to teach from 3rd grade on. Now I am 65 I have been told over the last 45 years it was my choice, not the way I or my friends remember. 45 years ago it became harder to go to college as I had my first child and didn't no how to start back to school. I always encouraged my kids to get their education. One has an associate and the other has her Masters.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I was told (by grandma, not my parents though they were present) that I wouldn't graduate high school. That was when I was 6 years old - 35 years ago.

Being told things like this messes with a kids brain. Even though it wasn't consistently presented, a kid doesn't understand. It kills ambition, and basically makes you a pawn of the WTBTS. I remember struggling with the idea of what I wanted to do when I grew up when asked by teachers and other students.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Spiritual goals = selling books.

Yep. They did that one.

Farkel

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Yes, they wanted me to pioneer and go to bethel but I wanted to be a chemical engineer, I got accepted at a good university, something that should make parents proud right? Yea, not so much with JW parents (the worst on the planet)! I got no help from them, and to top it off my dad was charging me 330 dollars in monthly rent even though the house was so small and pitiful that I had to sleep on the living room couch. It got so difficult I had to drop out and get a job. The good news though is that I'm no longer a JW i'm now going back to college working on my associates, but it's difficult juggling that and fulltime work.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

tootired2care, my father, said I would have to move out of the house if I entered college. (I was already accepted) I wish I had ponied up and drew his bet and moved out and went. As a parent that is just one sorry bass-turd.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    tootired2care, my father, said I would have to move out of the house if I entered college. (I was already accepted) I wish I had ponied up and drew his bet and moved out and went. As a parent that is just one sorry bass-turd.

Man, if only we all had a rewind button. It would sure be funny to have a televised show that handed out trophies to our JW parents as the worst parents of the century.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

This is so sad. Most parents are thrilled if their kids get into university or Tafe. The only ones who aren't are rednecks and Jws.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Julia,

"rednecks and JWs" - sum sit up perfectly!

Bill.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

My parents wanted me to go a and at Bethel...I said I'd think about it, just to keep them quiet...I chose to pursue a degree and now have a very challenging & satisfying job!

Kool Jo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit