young JW;s on facebook

by besty 17 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

Just trawled a round a few next-gen JW's back in my old neck of the woods up in Scotland - kids of my gen really. Couple of things stood out:

1 - some serious FB'ers in there - 800+ friends on one of them

2 - not connected to their parents typically, who are maybe more 'religious' about not being on FB

3 - most of them have 'worldy' friends

4 - a lot of young married couples with wedding pics for profile - fair enough, just stood out a bit for some reason

5 - varying levels of privacy settings - most were open, although some you couldn't see their profile pic and had to message them - friend requests blocked

I friend requested a few that I would genuinely like to hear from.

If a tipping point gets breached with TTATT my goodness its going to be an overnight bloodbath - the level of connected-ness now is pervasive.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Good point. Like a complex structure that is susceptible to systemic collapse under pressure? I wonder how many dutifully remove disfellowshipped people. I'm guessing compliance on Facebook is not great.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I think that's why I'm so eager to use my Facebook as a platform to get some thinking points across. I don't have any elders or their spouses on mine, for a reason though. I do have A LOT of single JW's and under age 40. I'm amazed I haven't been unfriended yet, as I post a lot from the knowledge of today site and the critical thinker page. Just trying to plant seeds, lol.

I hope you hear some good updates and can make a few points. Facebook seems to be a great tool for also showing JW's that faders are happy, productive and using time to pursue volunteer activities that genuinely help others.

Carpe Diem!

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Besty, I recently did the same FB thing. I was curious about the grown children of my JW friends who live in other towns and States. It is interesting how open their pages are. Only a very few had privacy settings in place. About half appear to have left the religion or never were baptized. They openly show Christmas and other holliday pictures. They show themselves in sexual poses and other objectional situations (to their JW parents) A couple openly said they were Athiests , others said they are Buddests. One included working at a "Hustler" sex shop under work history. It is as if they are trying to publicly humiliate their JW parents and grandparents. Of the ones who seemed "still in" their friends included DFed and "wordly" people. Many of the "still in" have 2 FB accounts: one for their non-jw friends which is locked down tight, and one for their JW friends which is open to the public. I wonder where they got THAT idea. :)

• losingit
    losingit

I just purposely posted about my great Saturday morning! Went off about the breakfast, the kids playing funny games, and me drinkng a hot cup of delicious coffee. Some know i was disfellowshipped, yet they keep me on. That's their choice! Now they get to hear about my happy life :-P And it was exactly seeing a fader's happiness that intrigued me and made me want more out of my life. I had already started waking up, but every drop counts towards a full awakening.

• losingit
    losingit

Oooohhh two fb pages!!! I like that! Double lives indeed :-)

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Loosingit, Yeah, I found out about the 2 accounts only because I looked up an old friend of mine (she's not old just hadn't talked to her in years lol) She was newly remarried to a man who by his appearence was NOT a JW. All her friends were either non JWs , inactive or DFed many of whom I know. So i thought, goodie! xxxx is obviously Out so i sent her a friend request. She accepted but told me in a private e-mail that she had been reinstated that THAT WEEK (I didn't even know she had been DFed) and put me on her OTHER account with active JWs only! Whhhhhatttt? I didn't WANT to be with them. I didn't have the heart to tell her she put me in the WRONG group!

• losingit
    losingit

LOL 3rd Gen! You wanted to be where the interesting, fun stuff was happening... not the active JW group haha! It's alright... I guess you could stir up some trouble by planting some seeds. idk

I don't even understand having a second account-- too much work! I have a business fb account and I hardly ever update it!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration
    4 - a lot of young married couples with wedding pics for profile - fair enough, just stood out a bit for some reason

I wonder if this is all they have to aspire to at times. I mean no going off to college, limited career options, not much else to brag about. I guess that is better than a picture of your pet.

I've often wondered what kind of splits may be caused in the future if some of these well connected ones just blow the whole thing up when they find out TTATT. Post jwfacts.com as a favorite item on their wall and just watch what happens. It could get interesting!

• TD
    TD

Yes, good post and interesting social phenomenon. Virtually all JW's under 25 here are on FB and Twitter from what I can see. You would not know that they even are JW's. It will tip...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit