Speaking in tongues

by Marilyn 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Anyone got any idea how they do it? Do they understand what they are saying? Are they talking real languages or just jibberish?

I met a spiritualist today, hence my question.

Marilyn

• U.2.K.
    U.2.K.

I believe the Holy Spirit is helping them.. I aint never seen it, But Some of the Witness, I still talk to, said's it still goes on.. In past Century(around jesus time) Some disciples was Speaking in tongues...

No answer on what Languages

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I have a sis in law who does. and no she has no idea what she is saying. The holy spirit has taken over and is in control and she has said that there are times that she remembers nothing. the congergation fills her in later i guess.
    POOOOH

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

plmkrzy, what are you doing in Nepal? My son has been there and loved the place. Is it as good as everyone says?

I'd still like to know whether the words being spoken in tongues actually mean anything? Ask you sis in law sometime.

Marilyn

• Francois
    Francois

I'm with plmkrzy. I've heard it done, seen it done. The preacher, or someone, delivers a buncha incomprehensible crap dominated by vowel sounds to the congregation. When he finally shuts up and sits down, there is a tense little wait until someone in the congregation (usually the one with the biggest ego) begins to "translate" what has been said into English. What garbage.

To my mind, speaking in tongues referred to the apostles ability to immediately understand and use foreign languages in order to preach the gospel when they arrived in a different country. It did not refer to gooble-de-gook that NO one understands but some egotist in the audience.

It's all hooie to me.

Francois

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Francois:
    The gift of tongues possessed by the Apostles and community in Acts 2 was in reality a gift of languages. These were Galileans, yet
    their listeners heard them speak in their own native languages.

On the other hand, the gift of tongues discussed in 1 Cor. 14 is
    altogether different.

• LB
    LB

I'm a firm believer that it's a load of crap. I asked my sister in law what she is saying and she replied that only God can understand her??? What the hell is that all about????

A gift of gibberish????

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dear Marilyn... peace to you!

I do not have the 'gift' of speaking in tongues; however, last year I had the privilege of interpreting what another was given to say. I posted it here on the Board in a thread to Tallyman, I think.

The 'tongue' my speaker was given was an ancient Hebrew/Aramaic. And no, I don't speak either. But I completely and clearly understood what she was saying (she calls it her "prayer tongue", says she doesn't know when it started but she's been praying that way as long as she can remember...).

As I stated in the other thread, I was completely taken by surprise; I don't speak those languages and was STARTLED that I understood what was being said. It was... well, awesome.

"Gifts" of the spirit are quite real, dear ones.

I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I've heard 'em, but don't understand and have never spoken them.
    Sounded vaguely Hebrew to me (I think there was a "Rabboni" in there, or something like it).
    I wouldn't state that all cases are necessarily kosher, though.

It always makes me laugh when people discount something because it's outwith their personal experience. So much for balancing an open mind with skepticism.
    (Sorry, just a little personal musing).

• LB
    LB
    It always makes me laugh when people discount something because it's outwith their personal experience

I also discount alien abductions.

Can't imagine why God would have people speaking gibberish, something they haven't a clue as to what they are saying. But someone else knows what it's all about????

Yeah right

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit