Jonathan Livingston Seagull & WTBTS

by Francois 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

I guess I'm showing my age here, but do any of you remember the movie version of Johnathan Livingston Seagull? Soundtrack by Neil Diamond?

There is perhaps no better subtle indictment of the WTBTS than this movie. And the photography is breathtaking. And Neil Diamond is, well, his usual fantastic self.

I've gotten several JWs to watch this movie. They think it's great. They don't even realize what a repudiation of their cult it is. Until later. When it sinks in.

Anyone remember this movie? Tried it out on a JW or two?

Francois

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Francois: Yes, I read the book, saw the movie, and have the album. It was quite a few years before I became a JW though. I remember it was Easter. Someone gave me the book and I saw Jesus of Nazareth on TV at the same time. The two in combination was a very moving experience. Now that I have had the "JW experience" (Ugh), I'll have to re-read the book or rent the movie. Will be able to watch from a different perspective now.

Thanks.

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• Celia
    Celia

I remember when I was living in Germany, I got to know some Mormon missionnaries, I even went to a couple of their meetings.
    They introduced me to Johnathan Livingston Seagull, the Soundtrack by Neil Diamond. They just loved it. Don't remember the movie though.... Just .... sky, seagulls flying... What is it about ?

• Francois
    Francois

Celia,

Believe it or not, it is a movie about the evils of organized religion.

The seagulls in the movie are organized. There is only one way to fly; their way. Their belief is that it is their duty to live as long as they can, anyway they can.

Johnathan, however, has seen a higher vision, a different way to fly and a different way to live than the proscribed, narrow, selfish, hypocritical manner in which the flock lives. He tries to enlighten the flock, and is kicked out by the elders for his efforts: "henceforth and forevermore OUTCAST."

It is a beautiful movie. I suppose the Mormons used it to show others how bad their religion was, never thinking to apply it to themselves.

It's a beautiful movie, worth another watch.

Francois

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Yes, how is it that cults never apply this stuff to themselves? I think it was you who recently said: JWs (et al) equate belief with truth. I enjoyed learning that neat little thought.

Anyway I'm certainly old enough to qualify for the era of Johnathan Livingston Seagull's movie and book, but I think it was when I was totally entrenched. I think I even saw part of it but didn't understand it. Duh! :0 I will have to put it down on my list of must see video's.

If you are into provocative movies put Holy Smoke on your list of must see's. It's made in Australia, and it delightfully entertaining in an Aussie kinda way - but the underlying religious question is spell binding. Kate Windslett and Harvey Kitell are brilliant in it. It's a movie that examines a number of issues. I really wish more people here had seen it because I thought it was fascinating.

Marilyn

• Francois
    Francois

Marilyn, thank you so much for recommending that movie. I am a movie nut and though I've kinda slipped here in the last three years, I'm heading back to my original addiction with and fascination for movies.

You know, the Aussies made some damn good movies back in the 80s. Those that immediately leap to mind are:

The Man From Snowy River
    Return to Snowy River
    Breaker Morant
    Under the Guns
    Gallipoli
    Bad Day at (something) true story about those girls that went missing from a girl's school picnic.
    Meryl Streep movie, true story about the woman who claimed her baby was carried off by dingoes at Ayer's Rock.

For all 'round adult courtroom drama, Breaker Morant was over the top.

Do you know any of these movies? Can you recommend more?

Francois

• Celia
    Celia

Thanks Francois.
    Can I find this movie in a video rental store ?
    I have got to see it again !

• Prisca
    Prisca

Frank,

The "Bad Day" movie you mentioned is called "Picnic at Hanging Rock".

The movie with Meryl Streep in it was called "Evil Angels".

One very funny Australian movie is "The Castle". Very Australian, very well performed.

I'm afraid I can't comment on JLS because I've never read the book nor seen the film. But it is interesting to read everyone's comments on it.

• Simon
    Simon

I remember seeing the 'album' (remember them?) in our record collection but I didn't know it was from a film. My guess is that any JWs would just equate it with every cultish group but theirs.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I'm going to read that book Francois...so I can step inside your mind and explore your world Seriously...it sounds like a good story...I prefer to read the book first and then pick the movie to pieces if its not as good as the book. As for Neil Diamond...he rocks...check out 'Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show'....great song.

Marilyn: Holy Smoke sounds good...I haven't seen it yet...seen everything else Aussie..or kiwi claimed by Aussies That is going on my list.

Prisca: I have to agree...The Castle was hilarious. The first time I saw it...I didn't get the humour...it wasn't until I had been living here for 12 months that I decided to get it out again and watch it properly...it was much funnier the second time around. Andy made my brother and Dad sit thru it...they both tried to chuckle and enjoy it...but I don't think they really 'got it' somehow LOL.

Beck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit