I shall have visitors next week. Any recommendations?

by Mr Fool 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Like the title said, I shall have visitors (JW young men) next week.

I don´t want to scare them away right away, I wish them to have a wake up call. So what do you suggest?

Shall I inplant one or two questions the first meting, or not?

Besides all the scanned photo copies I have, the Wt publications I have in book form is

Wt vol 1984 (generation of 1914 etc)

Awake vol 1984 (creators promise....before the gen who saw the events of 1914 will pass away)

The first and second "original"JW Bibles (1961 and 1970) ("all angels worship Jesus")

You can live in paradise forever on earth 1982 (Jesus meant the people who were living 1914)

The Harp of God 1928 (Picture on Jesus on Cross + many places in the book "Jesus upon the cross")

Life everlasting.... 1966 (about 1975 thing)

Anyway I hope it will be interesting for both me and them.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What sort of visitors? What are you hoping to achieve?

I'm not sure that ambushing Witnesses tends to work. Unless they are already having doubts and are prepared to talk about it I would not rate your chances of swaying them. But maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Who are you doing it for, them or yourself?

Photocopied anything will set all sorts of alarm bells off in most JW mind-controlled brains. So will old publications. So will anything that sounds even vaguely critical of the Governing Body. That's what you're up against.

• stillin
    stillin

You could ask if they believe whether they are the only God-chosen religion. Make them say it. Then ask how can it be that so many other religions, which are simply doing the best they know how, could be condemned by God. Surely God isn't opposed to charitable acts, is he? What charitable acts does the WT perform? People from other religions invite you to worship with them, too. And they establish their beliefs on simply a different understanding of the Bible than the JW's have.

Ask if there are ever any JW's who get into legal problems because they were actually bad people. Of course there are! But you wouldn't want to judge an entire religion because of the bad behavior of a few, right? So neither should the JW's judge another religion because of the actions of SOME people in the other religions.

PI agree with slimboy that older publications, or even a NWT of the Bible will set off bells and whistles.

• stillin
    stillin

Here's another one. Ask them if they have a clergy. What is thredefinition of clergy? Go from there.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

First I want to see everything from their point of view. (I have never experienced that before). I also wish to have my questions being answered (step by step, slowly). I take it from there and see what happens....

Thanks for the tips, Stilllin, they can be useful.

About older publications, I see no problem. First meeting I can mention the recommendation in the Watchtower 2012 Aug 15 "that we should learn everything we can about the history of Jehova´s earthly organization" and "I found that very interesting".

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Ask them if they believe that everything the Governing Body teaches in their literature is Bible-based truth. They will have to say 'yes'.

Then ask them to explain to you what the "new scrolls" are - from the Bible!!

They should open their Bibles at Revelation 20:12. When they do, point out the 3 glaring "untruths" presented in this spurious teaching, invented by some "company" man.

Then ask them why they believe in something they've clearly never studied in the Bible - just been told to believe it's in there!

See the following discussion.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/239678/1/New-scrolls

Enjoy your discussion.

• blondie
    blondie

I have checked the WT-CD and the WTS tends to use the phrase "paid clergy." But then the COs and DOs are compensated and are not expected to work a secular job like special pioneers.

I had 2 sincere young Christians ask me to prove the bible teaches Jesus is Michael the archangel. I found that there is a lot of hemming and hawing in the WTS articles. It made me wonder why it was so important that Jesus be Michael except as a proof that he was not God. That was about the same time a 1993 WT said the WTS consistently taught that Jesus presence began in 1914; same year I read the Proclaimers book and saw that they taught it began in 1874...........not so consistent.

• sir82
    sir82

How do you know you will have visitors?

A truly humble person would say "I believe that I may or may not have visitors...there is no way of knowing for sure."

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Haha, Sir82 My fault! There is a possibility that visitors may come and visit me next week

• jgnat
    jgnat

Perhaps I am more subtle. I'd have a magazine like Wired on the coffee table. If the magazine cover has a brain on it, all the better. Secular, scientific, and mind-blowing. It's not exactly forbidden, is it, and it makes a person think. I try and bring out the natural person, and provide an atmosphere where opinions and original thought is welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit