So Jw's are allowed to celebrate baby showers, but not birthdays?? huh??

by nolongerconfused 28 Replies latest jw friends

• nolongerconfused
    nolongerconfused

Perhaps, one of the most arrogant and contradicting behaviors of Jdubs...

What is the difference between celebrating a baby shower and a birthday?...they both have ancient origins, from pagan people, including Egyptians and the Greek...

Have you guys noticed any other hypocrite celebrations/behaviors Jdubs engage in?

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

Seems to me that wedding anniversaries are right in the same catagory! I know some folks here in Seattle that go all out for anniversary parties.

Seems to me you are bringing too much attention to that couple but WTF do I know?

• sspo
    sspo

They love to pick and choose but don't dare to bring it up to anybody's attention.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The Bible mentions nothing about baby showers, so the WT cannot misapply any scriptures to make a silly rule out of it.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Jesus didn't celebrate his birthday but he did get a baby shower. QED.

• blondie
    blondie

But silly rules attach to showers, jws were told not to put their name on the gift card and that the names of the givers were not to be announced to the group.

I forgot how this advice was quickly made into a rule.

g77 4/8 28 'Showering' with Gifts?

At some "showers" the giver of each present is identified before the others present. This can embarrass anyone who has not brought a gift. And it can lead to comparisons of presents from those of little means and those who are rich (or pretending to be so). (Jas. 2:1-9) How much better is it not to identify the givers by name! Following Jesus counsel against publicizing the giver kindly avoids embarrassment or comparisons and so promotes a happier, more Christian spirit.

Some interpreted that you must not put your name on the card. It made it very difficult to send thank you cards. I think that has finally died down in some areas to just not announcing (but the helper usually writes on the card what was given so the receiver can send a meaningfuly thank you card). I supposed if someone were petty enough to compare the guest list to the giver list, they could determine that someone had not given a gift.

I guess they forgot this information:

w69 5/1 286 Social Events Need Christian Moderation

In some places when such "showers" are held, the gifts are grouped together without the names of the givers being attached. Why? Those Christians are conscious of Jesus counsel that gifts should not be given to glorify the giver. (Matt. 6:1-4) They feel that if one did not bring a gift, another brought a small token of affection, and yet another an expensive gift, unloving comparisons of who gave what might be made.Matt. 7:12.

Does this mean that it is wrong to identify oneself as the giver of a certain present? No, that is not the point. In other places Christians at weddings and "showers" deliver gifts personally or sign cards attached to the presents. But if the presents are opened or displayed, the givers are not publicly announced. Thus there is no embarrassment.

Yes, please don't embarrass anyone this way, but Brother Loose Lips can tell his wife the judicial business of the congregation which she will share with all those worthy at the shower

Let me add this Question from Readers. This is definitely a "Vomit Alert." This is so bad that it makes the two above comments seem kind in comparison. After reading the WTS answer, I'm surprised anyone ever had a get-together.

*** w52 5/15 319-20 Questions from Readers ***

DoestheSocietyapproveofwell-meantshowersheldprecedingweddingsorchildbirths?Shouldthegiftsbedisplayedalongwithanidentificationofthegivers?M.F.,NewYork.

The Society does not disapprove of properly conducted showers.

But it is not good to get shower-minded, and involve the Lords people in a spree of them. It is easy for one or two to touch off a series that can become an endless circle of showers. It can burden the brothers, take their time, and their money for gifts they cannot always afford. You may say no gifts are necessary, but the custom calls for gifts and the majority will bring them, and it would be embarrassing to come empty-handed. Now there is certainly nothing wrong with giving gifts. Done spontaneously, it is commendable brotherly kindness and sometimes shows real Christian concern. There is some Scriptural obligation to note those of our brothers who are in need and to help them. We may use a shower as an occasion to help, but we do not have to wait for such occasions, we do not have to fit our giving into such customary times and seasons. Help is sometimes needed at other times. We should give when the need arises, and to those for whom the need is acute, and do so spontaneously, unsolicited by shower invitations that obligate us to give, whether the recipient is in need or not.

Should the givers be identified with their gifts? Why should they? Surely those giving the more expensive gifts do not seek public acclamation. It might embarrass the poorer brothers who must give more modest gifts, and perhaps cause them to spend more than they can really afford.

So why magnify the rich and humble the poor, even if it is unintentionally done? (Jas. 2:1-4) It is not Scriptural, this publicity to gift and giver. "When you start making gifts of mercy, do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, just as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be glorified by men. Truly I say to you, They are having their reward in full. But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing." (Matt. 6:2, 3, NW) If anonymous giving were practiced, would the gifts be as expensive? Would the giver spend beyond his means, if he were not identified with the gift? That would truly measure the unselfishness behind the gift. Such giving pleases God.

One final point of utmost importance, whether it is a shower or wedding or reception or just a friendly gathering of witnesses. Control the activities so that some edifying results. Silly games are for babyish people; mature Christians have advanced beyond them, left them behind. Sexually suggestive or passionate dancing to blaring jazz is not for Christians, though proper dancing and music cannot be condemned.

When Jesus attended a wedding feast he used the occasion to glorify God, performing his first miracle, the turning of water into wine. (John 2:1-11) And we can be sure that he did not get in any line to kiss the bride eitherso we leave such woman-exalting practices back in the creature-worshiping world, where they belong. Instead of any such looseness of conduct or excessive use of food or drink, we should control activities and regulate entertainment into profitable channels, such as the singing of Kingdom songs, playing Scriptural quiz games, relating field experiences, and so forth. Not only will such things be a proper relaxation for us and get us better acquainted with one another, but they will be helpful to persons of good will that may be present and impress them favorably with Jehovahs people.

So we say that there is nothing wrong in properly planned showers,

and those who attend should not be criticized by those who stay away, and vice versa. Be moderate in the number held, the giving, the enjoyment of material food and drink while there, and make them spiritually upbuilding. Always remember Christ is our model. (1 Pet. 2:21) He did not consume too much time on such things, did not make a showy display of giving, did not become gluttonous or drunk on such occasions, or at any other time. When at social gatherings he used the occasions to Gods glory, but he did not book up his evenings with parties and exhaust himself socializing. It was his zeal for Jehovah and the preaching work that consumed his time and energy. So it should be with us, balancing our various activities proportionate to their importance.

Edited by - Blondie on 20 October 2002 13:46:59

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's rare that I read something written in the 1950s literature and don't want to punch the writer in the face. The hell was wrong with those guys.

But it is not good to get shower-minded, and involve the Lords people in a spree of them. It is easy for one or two to touch off a series that can become an endless circle of showers.
    Silly games are for babyish people;
    And we can be sure that he did not get in any line to kiss the bride eitherso we leave such woman-exalting practices back in the creature-worshiping world, where they belong.
  • Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Don't try to reason w/ a Toddler...

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

yes really stupid. the scriptural reasoning behind the no bday thing is flawed also. Because John happened to be beheaded on someones bday, seriously!! Servants of God were never mentioned as celebrating their birthdays so it must be wrong...lol. Funny judicial committee's aren't mentioned in the scriptures either but they do those.

• steve2
    steve2

Almost every single argument used to condemn the celebration of birthdays could be used against baby showers and wedding anniversaries (which are essentailly "birthdays" of marriages). This highlights the ludicrous inconsistencies and special pleadings that emerge when mere men try to turn a preference into a rule.

Small wonder many JWs go completely overboard when they are allowed to decide for themselves whether or not to celebrate something. Members of my extended JW family become demented with glee when planning and attending celebrations of wedding anniversaries - although reports of morning-after hangovers reveal the depths of the hypocrisy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit