Ambient Abuse - This is one area that the Jehovah's Witness Are So Very Damaging To The Psyche.

by Narcissistic Supply 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Jehovah's Witness work so very hard to deny your reality. Thus you have nothing to base anything on. No truth to base what is, in fact, truth. A better term to use might be "Keep It Real."

Jehovah's witness definetly do not keep it real. They lie to you and deny your own sense of observation. They lie to you and distort your own sense of what is real. They lie to you and deny your own sense of self. They deny your own sensory input.

It's crazy stuff. It's black magic in every sense of the word.

Ambient abuse is described as the most dangerous, torturous, and yet subtle forms of abuse. You can't even recognize it as abuse when you are in the middle of it. If you can somehow extracate yourself from the situation, the abuse becomes very clear.

A very strange paradox.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Truth has a different meaning in the WT world.

• hoser
    hoser

they try to control the circumstances. They set people up for failure

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

"Ambient abuse is the stealth, subtle, underground currents of maltreatment that sometimes go unnoticed even by the victims themselves, until it is too late. Ambient abuse penetrates and permeates everything – but is difficult to pinpoint and identify. It is ambiguous, atmospheric, diffuse. Hence its insidious and pernicious effects. It is by far the most dangerous kind of abuse there is.

It is the outcome of fear – fear of violence, fear of the unknown, fear of the unpredictable, the capricious, and the arbitrary. It is perpetrated by dropping subtle hints, by disorienting, by constant – and unnecessary – lying, by persistent doubting and demeaning, and by inspiring an air of unmitigated gloom and doom ("gaslighting").

Ambient abuse, therefore, is the fostering, propagation, and enhancement of an atmosphere of fear, intimidation, instability, unpredictability and irritation. There are no acts of traceable explicit abuse, nor any manipulative settings of control. Yet, the irksome feeling remains, a disagreeable foreboding, a premonition, a bad omen.

In the long term, such an environment erodes the victim's sense of self-worth and self-esteem. Self-confidence is shaken badly. Often, the victim adopts a paranoid or schizoid stance and thus renders himself or herself exposed even more to criticism and judgment. The roles are thus reversed: the victim is considered mentally deranged and the abuser – the suffering soul.

The abuser causes the victim to lose faith in her ability to manage and to cope with the world and its demands. She no longer trusts her senses, her skills, her strengths, her friends, her family, and the predictability and benevolence of her environment.

The abuser subverts the target's focus by disagreeing with her way of perceiving the world, her judgment, the facts of her existence, by criticizing her incessantly – and by offering plausible but specious alternatives. By constantly lying, he blurs the line between reality and nightmare.

By recurrently disapproving of her choices and actions – the abuser shreds the victim's self-confidence and shatters her self-esteem. By reacting disproportionately to the slightest "mistake" – he intimidates her to the point of paralysis.

Even the victim's relatives, friends, and colleagues are amenable to the considerable charm, persuasiveness, and manipulativeness of the abuser and to his impressive thespian skills. The abuser offers a plausible rendition of the events and interprets them to his favor. Others rarely have a chance to witness an abusive exchange first hand and at close quarters. In contrast, the victims are often on the verge of a nervous breakdown: harassed, unkempt, irritable, impatient, abrasive, and hysterical.

Confronted with this contrast between a polished, self-controlled, and suave abuser and his harried casualties – it is easy to reach the conclusion that the real victim is the abuser, or that both parties abuse each other equally. The prey's acts of self-defense, assertiveness, or insistence on her rights are interpreted as aggression, lability, or a mental health problem"

Source:

http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/forum/general-support/ambient-abuse/

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

As JWs we were taught to ignore our own thoughts and feelings, as they teach that our feelings and thoughts are not to be trusted. We must sublimate our thoughts to the WT's views, and consequently that feeling of cognitive dissonance which arises is further neutralised with thought-stopping techiniques such as telling "God's ways are higher than mans", and "the heart is treacherous..." We were basically taught to deny our instincts and develop a blind spot for anything which challenges the WT's conception.

Further, JWs are very much cut off from their culture as no holidays or cultural traditions are to be observed. They are cut off from non-JWs too, thus separated from any grounding influences. In 1984 by George Orwell, this was likened to a man floating in interstellar space with no way of telling which way is up and which way is down. The only frame of reference he has is that given him by the Party. I especially notice this with born-in JWs; with no experience of 'worldly' life, it's very hard for them to land on their feet when they leave or are kicked out of the cult for some time.

• steve2
    steve2

This kind of abuse repels individuals who think for themselves and want to form their own opinions. Unfortunately, this kind of abuse "resonates" with needy and dependent individuals who have a need to be told what to think and say. Hence, religious organizations such as the witnesses tend to have disproportionate numbers of dependent-minded individuals - as unhappy as they may be in the organization, they'd have an even more difficult time out of the organization because of the strong need to be directed.

We all know individuals in the organization who bucked against being told what to think, do and say, whilst others seemed lost unless others were telling them what to think, do and say.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Steve : " We all know individuals in the organization who bucked against being told what to think, do and say, whilst others seemed lost unless others were telling them what to think, do and say."

Yeah, for sure. I was definitely considered to be a Brother-bucker!!

• bytheirworks
    bytheirworks

Is this Ambient Abuse?

"How?"

Watchtower November 15, 2013 page 20 (Simplified)

At that time, the direction that you receive from Jehovah’s organization
    may seem strange or unusual. But all of us must be ready to obey any
    instructions we may receive, whether we agree with them or not

"What direction?" - We won't say.

"When?" - "Soon" "At any moement" "like a thief"

"Where?" - Everywhere

"Who will it involve?" - YOU. It only involves you.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

bytheirworks!

That is the best crazy quotes!

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

Narcissitic Supply,

Thank you for your posts. I find them incredibly helpful to understand the pyschology of active JW. Having never been on the inside, I find myself completely bewildered when dealing with my JW in-laws. I find myself wondering "How could otherwise intelligent, caring people be doing this stuff?"

I have had several "Ah ha, now I understand" moments after reading these type of posts. Keep it up.

Mike

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit