My first time at a KH - especially to hear the New Light!!!

by The Song Remains The Same 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

In my more gullible days as a young, enthusiastic witness, I would sit in the Watchtower Study and hope those around me would do more than parrot answers. I even recall the Watchtower conductor inviting the audience to give their own answers. Oh, there were always a few witnesses who had the ability to phrase an answer in their own words - and I so admired them.

Now, looking back, I realize those rare participants had sufficient language skills to simply regurgitate exactly what was in the paragraphs - they were not adding a single point of deeper thought to the meeting.

So, whether parroted or paraphrased, if all amounted to the same mentality: Digest what is in the Watchtower/do not deviate from it. Little wonder the GB lambasts higher education because if the average educational level of the witnesses were to increase, even more of them would realize the shockingly dumbed-down mentality of your average Jehovah's Witness. I'd suggest there is a very, very thin line between, say being "humbly" educated (as Witnesses are apt to see themselves) and being plain ignorant and lacking core critical thinking skills (which is closer to how witnesses come across at meetings and elsewhere).

Perhaps memory plays tricks, but I seem to recall that even as recently as the 1980s, there was always a handful of witnesses who seemed actively engaged in overtly discussing new points of understanding, whereas today there is a strong impression that the witnesses would not recognize a new point of understanding if it slapped them hard and cold on the face.

You simply cannot engage in any meaningful discussion with a mentality that fails to realize that understandings have been changed by their own GB.

"Oh, we've always believed that - it hasn't changed at all". Sigh!

• jgnat
  • The Song Remains The Same
    The Song Remains The Same

Just catching up, luckily for me JW'ism my whole life and I have higher priorties :-)

On the matter of minor and major fulfillments, this is bizarre in my view; can they invent endless parallels to string everyone along forever? Actually, you don't need to answer that, I've worked out it is what they do regularly anyway with dates and over-lapping generations... silly me!

@RayP - I was seriously tempted to record it. But I bottled out, mainly as the wife would have been furious at me fiddling with the recorder, and what if I got caught? I had an idea to have the recorder 'headphones' around my neck looking like a cool dude with an ipod :-) Hmm.. Instead I decided I was going to use a nifty app on my iphone to count how many times they said 'Jesus' 'Organisation' etc (sort of "WT Bingo"). But I failed to keep it up after about 20 minutes - actually, I got so amazed (meaning the audacity) and a bit bored by the delivery process and what was actually being said that I completely lost track... Also I was trying to read/annotate the hard copy of Marvin Schilmer's notes at the same time (I reckon the prim lady JW next to me wasn't very happy about that to be honest...)

@steve2 - I don't think I was ever going to be inflicted with the notion JW's actively think. That has been clear for me since the get-go, but it was incredible to see it in action! Also, wife is under no illusions about be me being closer... that was made abundantly clear before, during and after the show :-) But she was 'very happy' that we (kids and I) went. Bless.

Two other things that came back to me when I've been thinking about the meeting further;

- There were a couple of guys who gave the most correct answers in a much more embelished way. I have no idea if they have some rank, but they words and way they answered it was like they were the "teacher's pet", and I'm sure it thoroughly impressed the others. I just felt, 'wow, that dude is a real suck-up'.

- Something in Part 1 drew a parallel for me to the cover-up of child abuse in the org. The speaker recalled that he worked for a guy who regularly went out after work, got drunk and then always drove home. He pointed out (rightly) that this is terrible, even the work of Satan. I'm sure we've all seen it. However, I wondered if he ever said anything, or told the guy to catch a cab, or offer a ride? Basically trying to prevent some accident or death. To be fair, there was no indication either way, and I'm sure some of us have stayed quiet on occassions liek that. But it seemed a very similar pattern to the child abuse cover-ups, so I had to wonder if that was the regular way to deal with law-breaking in the org... i.e. don't say anything.

The Song

p.s. you guys are a mine of info, and this site is a great help to anyone who tries to make head or tail of the WT. Keep it up!

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Even refering to this steaming pile of dung as the "TRUTH" is ambient abuse. It is denying your reality on the most fundamental level. It is making a mockery of your senses. It is making a mockery of your own heart. It is making a mockery of your own "SENSE OF SELF" on a most fundamental level. It is abusive in a most damaging way.

Shame on you elders for aiding and abetting this type of ambient abuse. Shame on you.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

I wouldn't listen to an audio recording of a WT meeting even if you threatened to make my ass expolode.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit