My Walmart encounter with the dubs today

by poppers 22 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

Yup, there were 3 of them camped out in front of the store with their display of materials - first time I've seen them there. When I came out of the store later only one guy in his 50s was still there so I asked some questions in a friendly way. He said he converted 5 years ago from the Presbyterians, and that he had learned more in 1 year with the JWs than all his time with the Presbyterians (the usual stuff, Jesus died on a stake, paradise Earth, etc). Yet, when I asked about some things about the teachings of the JWs he was pretty unsure of himself and said he'd have to look into them.

He claimed he didn't know about the invisible return of Jesus, he was dismissive of the impact of disfellowshipping and that people can leave with little consequence, he claimed that the Romans didn't use a cross until 200 years after Jesus died on the stake. I didn't press any issues just to keep him talking and see what things he would equivocate on. The one thing that really stunned me was when I said, "Aren't you the guys that teach about Armageddon coming?" He said no, that he hadn't heard anything about that before, and I pressed him on it a little. Then he said he "wasn't sure", that he's still pretty new in the religion so he needs to study more (after 5 years he was unsure of that particular teaching? Sheesh!).

Later, when the other 2 returned, a middle aged women and an attractive female in her early 20s, I brought up the Armegeddon thing again and the woman explained it a bit. Then I said that the other guy just told me that the JWs didn't teach about it. He looked very uncomfortable when I said that and he denied even doing so. I challenged that statement by saying, "But you just told me that you don't have that teaching."

"Well, I wasn't sure," he said sheepishly. When I first brought it up to him I felt he simply didn't want to make the JWs look too weird to an unsuspecting and possible "recruit". The excuse that he was still learning about the JWs felt pretty flimsy to me. Isn't Armageddon a core teaching that comes pretty early when you study with them? I couldn't believe that he'd outright deny the teaching, and then I was flabbergasted that he denied even making that statement to the others.

I think he's got some 'spaining to do to the others.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
  • Sittingstraight1212
    Sittingstraight1212

Yup! I always tried to make it look like witnesses weren't wierd in their beliefs!!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Me too! I lived with my non-Jw parents for over half the time I was a JW and always tried to make it seem benign. I did a good job too, because now since I've only just left this year and am explaining what they really teach, they've been flabbergasted! I mean, they lived with a JW for years! This fellow at the Walmart too, was probably trying, albeit very clumsily, to sugar coat the JW teachings. Either that, or he was a real simpleton.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

"that he had learned more in 1 year with the JWs than all his time with the Presbyterians"

As soon as I read that, I had a feeling of how the rest of your post was going to read and you didn't dissapoint.

Never heard of the Big A after five years in the Cult? He might as well go back to the Presbyterian Church.

• garyneal
    garyneal

It is amazing the sheer level of ignorance you would find in many Jehovah's Witnesses when you press them about their teachings.

Sometime back, I had a pioneer brother, who I refer to here as "Brother Hero," approach me to offer to study the Bible with him (using their publications of course). I was amazed at the sheer level of ignorance this man had concerning their doctrines. Here was a man who had been 'in the truth' for forty years. My wife always feigned, "I am just studying the milk of the truth," whenever I questioned her concerning their doctrines and she could not explain them. I guess this gentleman you spoke with was still nursing on the 'milk' and was not ready for the 'meat.'

Same language used by the IFB's back when I use to be one.

• poppers
    poppers

When does this idea of impending Armageddon get introduced to people who study with them? Is that part of the "meat" doctrine?

• smiddy
    smiddy

He was a new recruit to theocratic warfare , he didnt realise how much knowledge you had .LOL

smiddy

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Covering your butt and backpedaling is a universal skill no matter what religion and when you go off the script that the JWs are practiced in then it's anybody's guess what they will say.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Hey Poppers

Great to see you on here.

I never see JW's at Walmart here, but in Canada, they are in malls which are private property and they don't allow solicitors unless pre-approved.

I think JW's just naturally try to sugarcoat their beliefs to new potential recruits whether consciously or sub-conscioulsy. I used to do it when I pioneered and never thought of it as disingenous but was simply feeding the newbie the milk first until they were ready for the meat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit