Bethelites told to protest by the GB??

by williamhconley 11 Replies latest social current

• williamhconley
    williamhconley

When I served in Bethel during the late 90's I was told by several bethel elders that since the city did not approve the 30 story residential building (now 90 sands) to be built in Columbia Heights, bethelites were sent to stand in front of City Hall as a protest. This was approved by the GB.

I wasn't there at that time but my question is...

Is there anybody here that may have been at Bethel or NYC at that time that can shed more light on this?

The WT criticizes organizations and individuals that protest to protect their rights. Couldn't the bethelites & JW's see a double standard?

Were they carrying any placards or were they just standing in front of city hall?

Anyone that can shed any light on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks

W.H. Conley

• prologos
    prologos

that would be a political action. so, when money(future sales) are involved is it ok for JW,s upper class to be political?

• steve2
    steve2

I'd say it never ever happened. Those elders were pulling your leg or you imagined it during a brief psychotic episode - you choose.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

It did happen. It was even an article in Awake (or the Watchtower) about it.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

They have also had peaceful protests as far as I remember in Strasbourg

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

They'll fight tooth an nail when it's in their interests to, but no other reason, nor will they allow JWs to do so either.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This did happen.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Okay, we’ve “two witnesses” to this. This sounds like an interesting story. Any more details?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The WT has used political lobbyists in order to sway city councils to change laws in favor of WT.

Why wouldn't they also protest if it promotes WT agenda?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yeah I remember hearing about it. Lots of good it would do(sarcasim) they don't vote and pay no taxes why would the city feel obligated to approve such a building plan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit