SURVEY QUESTIONs

by Terry 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I'm on the brink of publishing my book. Here are some survey questions that will help me make some important decisions.

IF you were ever going to actually buy a book about an ex-Jehovah's Witness conscientious objector who went to prison, would you:

A. Prefer the book to be 8 1/2 x 11 ?

B. Prefer the book to be 6 x 9 ?

C. Prefer an e-book ?

What details would you need to know about a book unfavorable to the Watchtower Society for you to want to own it?

(???)

What would you consider to be a reasonable price for a book of this nature?

Excerpt from the front of my book:

Questions and Answers

Q: Why did you write this book?

A: For the last forty-four years I’ve been told repeatedly by strangers and friends that I have had a unique experience that others find deeply interesting. I quickly discovered it is impossible to tell without a background in place. The first half of my book fills in the history of how other conscientious objectors dealt with their duty to their state, their country and their fellow man. The second half of this book gives my personal journey from first contact with a JW who was friend, up through my first visit to a Kingdom Hall, Bible study, baptism, Draft Board examination, interview with my attorney, County Jail and Federal Prison experiences.

Q: What is your book going to tell me that I can’t live without?

A: You can’t live without facts and aren’t likely to research on your own about 2 nd Adventists, Bible Students, the Watchtower Organization, as well as the history of conscientious objectors. I cite my sources and references. Knowledge isn’t poison. Ignorance is darkness of mind.

Q: Why aren’t you still a JW in good standing?

A: I “faded” by simply withdrawing from the Organization. I had never spoken out, disagreed, protested or maligned any members or leaders. In fact, I had no idea I was invited to a formal judicial hearing to address charges! My Overseer invited me to the Kingdom Hall in the guise of a friendlyvisit. As it turned out, I was questioned about a perceived appearance of impropriety as pretext of excommunication although I denied any misconduct and no witnesses to wrongdoing were offered. None of the committee’s brothers displayed any interest in evidentiary matters.

Q: Why had you stopped attending meetings?

A: A man who does not provide for members of his own household is worse than an infidel. In short, I was husband and father of a family of 3 children to support and had acquired no material means. I wanted control of my own life back! We predicted 1975 would be Armageddon. They won’t admit that now, but I was there. I know. It was bogus.

Publishing magazines and books full of bogus warnings was the focus of preaching for 7 years, but, it had no basis in reality.

I served as a Pioneer in 1969, as Bible study servant and in prison from 1967-69. What was all that for? Apparently, it was for nothing!”

Q: Did you lose your Faith at that time?

A: I lost confidence that any of the urgent material JW’s distributed door to door was a real emergency. My faith had not been lost in God; absolute certainty had been undermined by disconfirming evidence.

Q: What do you want the reader to come away with after reading your book?

A: Don’t trade your own conscience for the opinions of men!

• stillin
    stillin

Terry, 6"x9" is fine.

I hope I can find it discreetly, because my wife is uber

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

A writers form yep! LOL

• scary21
    scary21

6x9

background of the author

$12.99 for paperback ( but depends on number of pages )

I love real books !

Sherry

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Being a member of the Jehovah's Witness a personal experience.

A. Prefer the book to be 8 1/2 x 11 ?

B. Prefer the book to be 6 x 9 ?

C. Prefer an e-book ?

All variations would be good.

Good luck with the book Terry.

• gbrn
    gbrn

I definitely prefer ebook. Some who are fading may prefer this too as its easier to keep out of view from family who don't want material like that in the home.

Looking forward to reading it!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Terry, size doesn't matter!!! Lol

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

A: ... We predicted 1975 would be Armageddon. They won’t admit that now, but I was there. I know. It was bogus.

~~

Terry, please change the above "WE" to WTS.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Terry That is great! I am so happy for you..... I have a thought for you. 1) In your first question, the A) answer, on the 7th line down it states, "from first contact with a JW who was friend"...............Do you mean it like that? Or did you mean to put an "a" in for "a friend" or did you mean "my" as in "my friend" but you already have two "my's" in one sentence, so three "my's" would be a bit much? If that is how you want it to read, OK, fine. I took Journalism, ohhhhh sooooo long ago, it's not funny, but i am pretty good at proof reading. Just Lois

• Terry
    Terry

A: ... We predicted 1975 would be Armageddon. They won’t admit that now, but I was there. I know. It was bogus.

~~

Terry, please change the above "WE" to WTS.

Thanks. The truly weird aspect of writing this book was as follows. I had to put myself back IN THE MINDSET and I did not want to go "there."

I put this off for years because I had buried the part of my mind (and the emotional connection.) Who wants to open a cellar full of rotting meat/

But, I had to do it.

And, creepy as it sounds, I was able to find the rusty key and pry open the lock on the chamber of horrors.

It was hiding like a stowaway in my mind in a kind of fetal dormancy.

Yeah, horror movie time!

Anyway, to address your point...

I was speaking as one who had been actively preaching about 1975 and in that sense "we".

But, I much prefer detaching myself from that now that you've raised the issue.

I shall duly change the wording.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit