Books used to study with JWs - what are they?

by Scully 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Julia, I would love to see the bit on blood fractions.

I presume this must be carefully written, for two reasons, the first, and most obvious, is that no scriptural reason can be given for the position/doctrine.

The second is more subtle, they are now revealing a bit more of the Cult's Hidden Secrets, the "Bible Teach" book simply presents the "abstain from blood" argument, no mention of fractions.

Is the whole thing a clever, slow lifting of the curtain for the neophyte ? If the new convert accepts the more culty teaching surely they then are really trapped.

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

From the Appendix Phizzy

lvpp.215-218BloodFractionsandSurgicalProcedures***

Blood FractionsandSurgicalProcedures

Blood fractions. Fractions are derived from the four primary blood components—red cells, white cells, platelets, and plasma. For example, red cells contain the protein hemoglobin. Products developed from human or animal hemoglobin have been used to treat patients who have acute anemia or massive blood loss.

Plasma—which is 90 percent water—carries scores of hormones, inorganic salts, enzymes, and nutrients, including minerals and sugar. Plasma also carries clotting factors, antibodies to fight disease, and such proteins as albumin. If someone is exposed to a certain disease, doctors might prescribe injections of gamma globulin extracted from the plasma of people who already had immunity. White blood cells may be a source of interferons and interleukins, used to treat some viral infections and cancers.

Should Christians accept therapies incorporating blood fractions? The Bible does not give specific details, so each one must make his own conscientious decision before God. Some would refuse all fractions, reasoning that God’s Law to Israel required that blood removed from a creature be “[poured] out upon the ground.” (Deuteronomy 12:22-24) Others, while refusing transfusions of whole blood or its major components, might accept treatments involving a fraction. They may reason that at some point fractions that have been extracted from blood cease to represent the life of the creature from which the blood was taken.

When making decisions about blood fractions, consider the following questions: Am I aware that refusing all blood fractions means that I will not accept some medications that include products to fight diseases or that might help the blood to clot in order to stop bleeding? Could I explain to a physician why I reject or accept the use of one or more blood fractions?

Surgical procedures. These include hemodilution and cell salvage. In hemodilution, blood is diverted from the body, replaced with a volume expander, and later returned to the patient. Cell salvage captures and returns blood lost during surgery. Blood is recovered from a wound or a body cavity, washed or filtered, and then reinfused into the patient. Because the methods of applying these techniques can vary from physician to physician, a Christian should find out what his doctor has in mind.

When making decisions about these procedures, ask yourself: ‘If some of my blood will be diverted outside my body and the flow might even be interrupted for a time, will my conscience allow me to view this blood as still part of me, thus not requiring that it be “[poured] out upon the ground”? (Deuteronomy 12:23, 24) Would my Bible-trained conscience be troubled if during a medical procedure some of my own blood was withdrawn, modified, and directed back into my body? Am I aware that refusing all medical procedures involving the use of my own blood means that I would not accept a blood test, hemodialysis, or a heart-lung bypass machine?’

A Christian must decide for himself how he will allow his own blood to be handled in the course of a surgical procedure. The same applies to medical tests and current therapies that involve extracting a small amount of one’s own blood, perhaps modifying it in some way, and then reinjecting it.

Boxon page 217

SUGGESTED QUESTIONSFORTHE DOCTOR

If you face surgery or a treatment that might involve a blood product, check that you have completed the appropriate legal documentation, such as a Health Care Proxy, which is designed to protect you from blood transfusion. In addition, you might ask your physician the following questions:

Do all the medical personnel involved know that as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, I direct that nobloodtransfusions (whole blood, red cells, white cells, platelets, or blood plasma) be given to me under any circumstances?

If a medicine containing blood fractions is recommended, what is its makeup? How much of this medicine might be administered, and in what way?

If my conscience permits me to accept a blood fraction, what are the medical risks? What alternate therapies are available?

Before deciding on any of the foregoing, express your concerns to Jehovah in prayer. He promises to give the needed wisdom to all who “keep on asking” for it in faith.—James 1:5, 6.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for that, I will return to read it in the morning, have to go out the door right now. Thanks again

• compound complex
    compound complex

Regarding Rubadubdub's post on Blood Fractions and Surgical Procedures:

How is the average Joe or Jo Witness expected to understand and apply this convoluted, labyrinthine jumble? Bible-trained conscience?!?!?

Thoughts, Scully (or anyone)?

CoCo cannot figure it out

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's bad, but it's not that bad. I think the card we fill out has some blanks in it for the parts where you can use your conscience. Playing fill-in-the-blanks makes the job easier. I would give examples, but amusingly enough, my card is a couple months older than the policy change in 2000, and simply forbids any and all transfusions.

Perhaps more to the point, when a JW is in the hospital, the HLC provides advice* to the JW on what procedures are okay and which aren't.

*Of course, it's also a handy way of butting into the caregiving process to make sure the rules are followed.

• Scully
    Scully

CoCo:

Solomon Asch did a series of experiments in social psychology back in the 50s to show how peer pressure induces conformity. Here's how one of the experiments worked:

Subject is recruited to be part of a panel for testing perception. The subject believes all panel members are similar to him, that is, other recruits/subjects, however they are actually confederates of the experimenter.

The panel is shown a series of images (what we would recognize as optical illusions or comparisons of pictures to select one that is different, etc.) and then the experimenter asks each participant to orally respond with their choice. What the subject doesn't know is that the other panelists have been instructed to deliberately choose a wrong answer, and each panelist is instructed to agree with the panelist who answers first.

More often than not, even when it was OBVIOUS that the answer is dead wrong, the subject's answer conformed to the incorrect response of the other panelists.

What's more disturbing is that even when the subject gives the correct answer initially, in the face of the other panelists' giving incorrect answers, the subject usually changed his answer to conform.

Make no mistake, the WTS is aware of these tactics.

Why do you think all the answers they want you to parrot back to them are already printed in their publications? They know that your better judgement will be supplanted by your subconscious desire to be accepted by the "in-group". Especially when other members are giving the answer that the WTS wants to hear, the JW - wanting to save face and maintain their standing with the "in-group" - just goes along, pretending to understand or agree, even when they don't.

Scary, isn't it?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

So that appendix is their latest pathetic attempt to keep the blood doctrine going ?

The only argument for non use is that the blood might "represent the life of the creature from which the blood was taken."

How could that be ? no life was lost when I and those like me donated blood.

Blood should be "poured out on the ground ". New Testament ref. for this ? None.

If they want to go along with the Mosaic law then fine, but then all of it please, no mixing the threads in your garment, nor shaving the extremity of your beard etc etc

And ask the people whose Law it is, and who properly understand it, the Jews, why blood transfusions are not a problem for them.

The whole doctrine against life saving blood transfusions has no basis in Scripture or in logic.

It would be just one of their quirky non-sensical teachings, if it were not so murderous, the WT and anyone who supports them are guilty of taking lives.

For Christ's sake J.W's wake up ! before you or a loved one loses their life on the whim of men who do not understand the Bible or the will of God.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings and thanks, Apognophos, Scully and Phizzy:

Yes, Scully -- it is scary. This issue continues to have an impact on both me and mine.

Excellent points, Phizzy.

Apognophos: your comment clarified for me what is on the form.

All the best (and good health).

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit