How I see it in JW land

by tornapart 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Another thought regarding whether or not Jw's are fizzling out. As I see it, zeal and joy are declining as a whole. Still the fear of loosing family,friends and business relationships keeps people attached to old habits. One of which is the habit of not thinking deeply or doing research on what is being taught. Another habit is attending assemblies and conventions. These pep rallies keep members satisfied that they have stayed in the right club. After all, it IS called the truth. At this point there are enough club members (no matter how unmotivated or unhappy) to keep it going by simply reproducing. When is the last time council has been given NOT to have children? Answer: not for decades. The WBT$ simply INSISTS they marry other baptized JWs. If plenty of children come from these unions, even if more leave than stay, even if the old die off, and even if there are no converts from the field there are enough to keep the club going for many many more "overlapping generations."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TORNAPART:

Yes, they are tired but going through the motions. Most are there for friends and family.

I tend to think most of the "thinkers" have already left or are in the process of leaving.

Some older ones might feel it is too late to start over, others feel the religion has God's name and he will "fix" it. So, they stay.

• flipper
    flipper

Good points you bring out Tornapart, and everybody else makes good points as well. I notice in my older JW parents aged 88 & 86 who have been in the cult since early 1950's a general malaise and lax attitude of almost just throwing in the towel, no urgency at all because they know that soon they will die. They stay home frommeetings more so due to their health these days. I think subconsciously my parents are just beginning to realize they've been duped and lied to about " paradise " by WT leaders- but they will never admit it out loud to us adult children because they built over 60 years of their lives around this mind control organization. It would be too hard for them to admit that they wasted all that time on a pipedream. Very sad. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• steve2
    steve2

There can be few things more personally devastating than to realize far, far too late in life that you have been honestly duped by a belief system that has robbed you of your youth and the best years of your life. Thankfully, I got out of the organization in my late twenties with much of my life still in front of me. I genuinely feel for anyone who realizes well into their later years that they've been duped.

Who am I to judge any such person who concludes that it is less painful to simply plod on as if nothing's changed? The older years should be about life review, integration and resolution, not about turmoil and upheaval over one's long-held religious beliefs - to say nothing of being shunned by virtually the only community one has ever had. What a sad, sad predicament.

• rmt1
    rmt1

"Stockholm momentum" will probably allow TWS to coast straight through this century and into the second. Can you see, with your mind's eye, people sweating together, at the Jehovah's Witnesses 2101 "The End Is Near" District Convention? It is absolutely, entirely possible that babies born into JWs this year will die in the cult in 70 or 80 years.

http://www.humanrights.com/what-are-human-rights.html

• Wonka
    Wonka

I have or had a friend who is a JW. Some time early this year I believe, she made a comment to me how small the content was in one of her magazines. She said something like; " Look, this is all that's in here this month. I wonder why it's so small? " She paused and looked bewildered for a moment.

I said nothing at that instant because I didn't want to ruin a potential "awakening moment" for her. But it made me see that she does have a mind of her own and able to reach to the surface for a breath, before diving back under water. She seemed able to question or see things that didn't look right. Little things as they may be, it gave me a small glimmer of hope for her.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Yes, Stockholm Syndrome.

• scary21
    scary21

My old JW mom also noticed how small the mags are. I just said JW's are now on a diet......thier food is a few crumbs compared to the meat they use to get..lol..... my mom laughed and said yes, I wonder why . I felt bad for her so I said the public does not read much anymore.

When I have a smart ass remark, I feel bad because she is 89 yrs old. If it were anyone else I would have let my remark stand.

I only know a few JW's here. They all complain they can't get any FS time. When they come to my house to drop off the mags, they stay at least 1/2 hour and never never talk about the bible. Everything but God , Jesus or the bible.......Very strange.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit