Our Kingdom Ministry has a Bar Code?!!

by VM44 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• besty
    besty

printing the QR code will enable the Watchtower to collect certain data about the type of phone, Operating System, time and location of scan (location within certain limits - jeffro and I have debated this before :-))

if the person scanning also logs in to jw.org from the same phone then the Watchtower can conflate the data and can infer who is making subsequent scans, even if you are no longer logged in to jw.org

without logging in to jw.org there is no personally identifiable data passed just by scanning the QR code

My guess is there is nothing sinister and they are just using their free print real estate to encourage people towards jw.org - the cost of adding the QR code is zero.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

The Kingdom Ministry has a bar code?!?!?!

Woohoo!!! I never knew they had a BAR!!!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

besty:

printing the QR code will enable the Watchtower to collect certain data about the type of phone, Operating System, time and location of scan (location within certain limits - jeffro and I have debated this before :-))

Printing the QR code doesn't give anyone any information at all, with the obvious exception of the image of the QR code itself.

Scanning the QR code provides only the same information to Watchtower that would be provided by using the same device to manually enter the same address directly into the browser (including all the details* indicated above by besty). Accessing their site using the QR code doesn't provide any extra information.
    *Location data is limited to what can be estimated from IP addresses, which may be accurate within a few kilometres or may be out by several thousand kilometres, depending on several factors; specific GPS co-ordinates are not provided by using the QR code even if the device is equipped with a GPS. Websites can request information from a device's GPS (JW.org doesn't), though most devices have an option to require the user's permission for such information.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I'm not saying that I have info that the WTBTS IS doing this, just trying to share an idea, that I think has merit.

The point I was trying to make was that, IF, IF the WTBTS wanted to try to find out who was leaking info onto these sites, it would not be too much of a

stretch to use these QR codes to do so. Now you may be asking" Who cares if the WTBTS finds who is leaking a KM as it is pretty much not under wraps" True, but the person that scans the KM to share could also be scanning BOE letters and other insider info.

Now I do believe that they would be interested in finding that person, don't you?

So, if that WERE the case, they could segment the USA into groups, possibly circuits and send a different QR code (that all lead to the same JW.org site)

Then once that scan was up on a site like this, they would know what Circuit the info had originated from. Then they could segment that further down to congregations.

It was said: "If they wanted to track them they'd have to print a unique code for HUNDREDS of batches. They're not going to stop the presses, make new plates, just for that."

I could assure you that the WTBTS wants to know who leaks sensitive information. Would you not agree?

What would be stopping them from doing this? Certainly not the cost of labor.

Sometimes it is better to think 100 different things and find out only 1 has merit than to not think at all.

NJY

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

notjustyet:

So, if that WERE the case, they could segment the USA into groups, possibly circuits and send a different QR code (that all lead to the same JW.org site)

It's not, and they aren't.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Yeah. Anyone with a 30 dollar printer can make one of those....

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Narcissistic Supply:

Yeah. Anyone with a 30 dollar printer can make one of those....

You don't even need a printer. Generate the QR code online for free, add it to your digital document, and upload it to a website for other hapless schmucks to waste ink and paper on.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It probably translates to 666 when conveted to hexadecimal.

W

• processor
    processor

I'm tracking you!

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Jeffo,

Your probably right, the WTBTS is not known for doing cra cra stuff.

NJY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit