April 20 is a sad anniversary for my family

by Mulan 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

On April 20, 1977, my brother's wife, Janice, died as a result of complications from childbirth.
    The baby, their only son, also died unnamed. This is a photo of my brother and Janice
    on their wedding day, in 1961.

Her death was unnecessary. The doctors begged all of us to let her have blood. Of course, we all refused.
    An artery in her uterus had ruptured during birth, and she was bleeding out very fast.
    They did an emergency hysterectomy, but she died anyway, 8 hours later.

This was the beginning of the end, for our family as Jehovah's witnesses. My brother and his daughters
    were the first to quit, in 1978. The girls were 13 and 15 when their mother died.

Now they are 38 and 40. Neither girl ever had children, although I think they would like to have
    had them. They both love kids, and are great "aunties" to all of their cousins kids. If it weren't
    for Jehovah's witnesses, those young women would have their mother, and my brother, their father,
    would have had a much more settled life. He married again, too fast, and divorced within a year,
    and has gone from one relationship to another, and he is very unstable emotionally.
    He never got over losing her the way he did.

It was years later before the rest of us would leave the organization, but we will never
    get over the sensless death of Janice and her baby.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)

• Mum
    Mum

That is more than sad. It gives us all reason to reflect on how close some of us have come to experiencing similar tragedies. What a price to pay for a belief.

Bless you for sharing this story. It couldn't be easy.

Regards,
    Mum

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am trying to make these pictures smaller. Sorry about that.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

((((((Mulan)))))),

Thanks for sharing the story.

I am sorry about what happened and how it affected your brother's life and the lives of his daughters.

Now I can add one more reason why I will never become a JW (I was never one).

Bless you for sharing the story and wish the best for your nieces and your entire family.

Regards and love,

Ajax

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Marilyn,

I'm so shaken by your post. I'm so sorry for the immense losses. Please know you have my concern and compassion...

laura

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Mulan - one of the sorriest parts of this whole thing was how awful the rumor mill was when your brother left the Dubs. So many made him out to be the cause of his wife's death...so sad. I didn't know either of them, had only attended a wedding he presided over, so as with much of the gossip that flew around the area, I ignored what was said. Since Sharon's ordeal I have learned that the rumor mill is so far from what is truth. If I had the power to change it all and make things right you can be sure I would. Am sorry for all the pain you family has had to endure.
    Mrs R

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Mulan, thank you for letting us share in your sadness on this date. The story hurts my heart. How painful for all of you who went through this and how very traumatic for the girls at that age to lose thier mother in that way. Your brother has had to deal with such heavy grief. No wonder he was never the same. It was not his fault. He was led to believe that his wife would live if he remained "faithful". The are going to have to give an account someday.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Such a beautiful family. Such a tragic story. I wish you the best.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

((((((( Mulan )))))))))))

Mulan my deepest sympathy to you and yours.
    My warmest thoughts are sent your way.
    Your kindness and generosity proceeds you here.
    May you know that you have many friends here and
    elsewhere to support you in your time of need.

C

When the pain of being where we are, becomes greater than our fear of letting go...we will risk and heal and grow.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Mulan:

I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how much time has passed, the losss is always present.

May you always find some peace with friends that love you now, and I believe that you will someday find complete peace in heaven!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit