JW Anointed Life

by Amazing 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

I am finding sme of the threads about JW Anointed rather interesting, humorous, and some unfactual, or maybe better stated narrow (limited?) in their views. Rather than posting this to several threads, I thought I would make a single new thread.

Having lived the JW 'Anointed' life, here are some things I found to be true, some interesting, and some not so exciting:

1. The Watchtower Society has done such a good job in marketing their fears of 'new' anointed among their ranks, that most JWs who would be drawn to heavenly life are, and continue to be, frightened away from partaking at the JW Memorial.

2. The Watchtower Society has also done such a good job of making JWs believe that most 'new' anointed are likely crazy, on drugs, and fantasizing, that even many x-JWs still think of JW Anointed as either having some special experience, or are truly kooks.

3. The JW Anointed I knew are:

Bessy: She was in her late 80s when I met her, going strong as a Colporter since Russell's time, and a Reg. Pioneer when the title changed ... she briefly met Russell. The only hope that Russellites had was heavenly, and so to her it was just as natural as it is for Christians in other religions. No zapping, no special electrifying experiences. She was not a kook ... just a feisty go-getter, and a little agressive and opinionated. But everyone loved Bessy (Sometimes called Bossy as a play on her name.) She lived to be over 100 and died sometime in the early 1980s. I never knew for sure whether she was married.

Dorothy: She became a JW in the late 1950s, was a Reg. Pioneer for many years, before partaking in the late 1960s, and likewise was a strong personality and opinionated, but very knowledgable person, and generally well liked. She was married, and husband was not anointed. He died sometime in the early 1970s. She was not a kook. She eventually left the religion in the late 1970s after the failure of 1975 to bring Armageddon.

Ruth: She became a JW prior to 1935, and began Reg. Pioneering in 1945. She started partaking in 1969. She was modest, less opinionated, and just a steady student of the Bible. Married, but husband died shortly after I became a JW. He was not anointed. Everyone loved Ruth, and she was not a kook.

Jenny: She became a JW in 1968, and started partaking right away. Her husband went on to become an Elder, and we became close friends when they moved into our congregation. Two of their children are serving at Bethel as we speak, and two of three daughters became Reg. Pioneers. She stopped partaking for a few years, then shortly before I moved back in 1982, she started partaking again. She continued to do so since. She was a very good, kind hospitable person, caring of her family, and always was stressed about living up to the JW rules. Not a kook.

Margaret: A long time JW who started partaking in the late 1960s. She was opinionated some, but less so than Dorothy and Bessy. Good cook, and most hospitable. Married, but husband was not Anointed. Not a kook.

George: He became a JW in the early 1960s, and started partaking right away. He became Congregation SAervant and then an Elder to which he remained to this day. He heard of me living nearby when he moved into the SF Bay Area, and called to meet when his health gave him problems. He was kind, mildly opinionated, but definitely not a kook. Fun, ourgoing, and cared deeply about the JW friends and the organization. But also reasonable, practical, and willing to discuss private disagreements with some aspect of the religion. Also married with children.

Bruce: A few years older than me, he was raised in the religion, and started partaking two years before me. Reg. Pioneered for a while, then appointed as an Elder. He was married with no children. But he and his wife eventually adopted a little baby girl' Kind of to himself, a very private person. A bit righteous over much, but not a kook.

Me: You decide whether you think I am a kook. I found that the JW life as an Anointned was pretty humdrum. No exotic zapping from any Jehovah to tell me or any anointed I knew ... even not Bessy or Ruth (pre-1935 JWs) that they knew they were anointed. The decision to be "anointed" centered on one's interest, and desire as the 1952 Watchtower stated. Self-determination is the key, according to the Society. And most (99.99%) of the JWs did not ask about or get concerned with my hope. Some few asked, and I gave the standard Romans 8 response, and sometimes referred some to the 1966 "Life" book or the 1952 Watchtower. I did all else as I would had I never claimed to be Anointed. There were some few odd and hurtful expeiences, but they passed.

Advice to prospective JW Anointed: If you want to partake, go ahead, but I recommend that you first Aux. or Reg. Pioneer, or get appointed an Elder or MS if male, then your claim will generally be considered validated. Some will think you are a kook, but they would anyway, cause that is human nature.

Post-JW years and Anointing: Once I left the religion, I soon found that for Christians, anointing is no big deal, it is just something that is "one of many" features of being a Christian, all Christians. No special classes, no special ruling in heaven over earthly subjects, ... but rather, as the Apostle Paul stated, ALL are the same in Christ, there is no distinction between slave and free, male or female, Jew or Gentile ... all are equal before God ... As it Should be!

IN recent months, maybe a year, I am having serious doubts about the Bible, history and Judeo-Christian claims. Nevertheless, I still believe in God, but more as a Christian Deist. Nevertheless, I am not worried that God will zap me at Armageddon, or that I will go to Hell. All these ancient tribal superstitions seem so ignorant, inane, ludricris and banel of a supposed loving and caring Divine father called God.

Anyway, I hope this helps some, and I hope that JW Anointeds who read this will understand, as well as x-JWs, that for the most part, even the life of JW Anointeds does not mean one is a kook, weird, or out to lunch ... it is just something that some JWs finally decide to do, and something quite normal and average for most Christians. No high horse, no special parties, no exalted positions, no grand seat in the Divine Conference Room of Heavenly CEOs ... just be simply, modest, nice people, do your best, and let God take care of the rest.

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

Hi Amazing,
    I looked up those articles in the 1952, and 1951 Watchtowers and found some interesting stuff. Read these two articles on persecution of anointed Christians in the first few centuries, see how there were far more than 144,000 who died terrible deaths for their faith, and see how the Watchtower tries to totally discredit them for their suffering by calling them “professed Christians” In other words, fake, and not real Christians or anointed.

(Watchtower 1951, 1 September, p. 516)
    Nero saw to it that the first of these terrible persecutions set the pace for the rest. At once he caused Christians to be rounded up, summarily condemned and put to death in the most barbaric manner conceivable. Some were thrown to the fierce beasts in the public arena, others were sewed in animal skins and left to the fury of wild dogs, many were crucified, and still others were garbed in combustible materials and ignited to become human torches lighting the gardens of Nero by night. It was in this persecution that the apostle Paul was martyred.

Brief respite followed the death of Nero, but by the latter years of the first century the second great persecution, under Emperor Domitian, flared up. It is said that in the year 95 alone some 40,000 suffered martyrdom . . . Diocletian assumed the crown A.D. 284. At first he seemed friendly to the Christians, but in the year 303 he gave in to persuasion and opened the tenth persecution, probably the most ferocious of all. Suffocation by smoke, forcible drinking of melted lead, mass drownings and burnings, breaking on the rack of men and women alike ran the empire with blood. In a single month 17,000 were slain. In the province of Egypt alone, 144,000 such professed Christians died by violence in the course of this persecution, in addition to another 700,000 who died as a result of fatigues encountered in banishment or under enforced public works . . . The Devil’s vicious assaults by violence against Christianity continued through the Dark Ages, the Reformation and right into the present days. Only the hand of the persecutor, not the basic reasons for persecuting, has changed . . . But for all of this, it is noteworthy that many pagans, even officers in the army, were converted to Christianity by the unwavering faith of the Christians while enduring the cruelest torture . . . The Christian stand of complete separateness from the world and its systems stood out in refusal of military service as in the case of the young Christian Maximilian, who protested that he had taken the badge of Christ and could not as well accept that of the world.

Here is a letter to the Watchtower, about the figures in the preceding article.

Questions from Readers (Watchtower 1952, 15 January, p. 62)
    According to the article “Hated for His Name” in the September 1, 1951, Watchtower, hundreds of thousands of Christians died in the “ten persecutions” starting in Nero’s time, 144,000 dying in Egypt alone during one of the persecutions. How can this be harmonized with the Scriptural limitation of 144,000 placed on the number being in Christ’s body, and which position was the only one open to Christians during those centuries?—J.A., Dominican Republic.

The article did not class with any finality the individuals that died during these persecutions, but spoke of the results in a general way. Note that a key qualification was made in the case referred to in the question: “In the province of Egypt alone, 144,000 such professed Christians died by violence in the course of this persecution, in addition to another 700,000 who died as a result of fatigues encountered in banishment or under enforced public works.” The victims are identified as “professed Christians”, not Christians in fact. Many of those persons might have been caught in the wave of persecution, but may never have actually preached the truth or followed in Jesus’ footsteps, being only professed Christians. They knew the world they lived in was rotten and they were listening to the message of the Christians and willing to die for it even though not in line for the high calling in Christ Jesus. Many professed Christians today might be willing to die for their faith, but still not be Jesus’ footstep followers and meeting the Scriptural requirements for such.

See how they try to discredit the suffering and validity of the anointed back in those days. You may ask yourself how they dare to say they were just “professed Christians” and not true Christians of the anointed. All Christians were of the anointed! They even imply people were willing to die such evil tortuous deaths just for this “professed Christian’s” stance, and not be anointed, or a real Christian. So all for nothing! Why where they just “professed Christians” you may ask? Because the Watchtower says so! So there, end of subject as far as they are concerned. It’s a blasphemous article, it exposes their own false literal ‘144,000 anointed’ arguments, and then they disrespect all those loyal ones in the past who have suffered unbelievably for their true Christian faith!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Thank You Amazing. You wrote that very well and I personally appreciate this post.

I know there are a lot of members here that still have a lot of bitter feelings they haven't over come yet and every time I come accross someone's reply regarding there personal explination of being anointed I usually skip over it real fast and just remind myself they're just ranting out of bitter feelings and disregard it, but sometimes it is impossible to avoid when threads like these start getting thick.

Everyone that I personally new who claimed to be anointed have died with the eception of three people one of them being my mom. None of them fit the discription of the kind of people I've heard describe here.
    In fact your discriptions would fit those that I new as well.
    My mom started partaking when she was still rather young I don't know exactly when but somewhere between 55 and 60 years ago. She spent 40 years a pioneer and at least 1/2 of that aux.
    She is the farthest from a kook as anyone I have ever known. She also has many many friends who visit her anually from all over the country. Some, she has known since long before I was born.

Regardless of how I feel about the WTBTS or how I feel about the GB or how I feel about the organized religion thing all together has no barring on what I think of my mother and when I hear people constantly bashing and belittling and ridiculing anyone who may claim to be anointed because they believe they are, it is extreemely hurtful.

There are a lot of people on this planet who believe in going to heaven and believe they are. I never hear any of them being so brutally attacked. But then they are JWs. Only JWs who think they are going to heaven are considered kooks or lunitics or suffering from psyhcotic episodes.

I have no idea if I would be going to heaven or not when I die. I might be resurected and have another life on earth or I could just die stink and rott. Don't know and I'm not going to stress over wondering about it. But i'm damn sure not going to start attacking those who believe they are.
    When reading some of the replies I can almost see spit flying.

Why get that bent?

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/home.html

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Thanks Amazing, Nemesis, truly great essays. I learned a lot!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Nemesis

I may or may not be right or wrong but your response gives me the impression that you're confusing the point that Amazing is making
    about individual people he has personally knowledge of and the "ORGINAZATION"
    The GB in most casses has little to do with those who believe they are anointed. Apples and Oranges.

Sorry if i'm wrong.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Amazing:

Very balanced view points. You wrote: “.......There were some few odd and hurtful expeiences, but they passed.”

For those considering the JW way to heaven, would you relate to us these “experiences” for their benefit? (Ok, I admit it, you got me glued to my computer, I want to hear more....)

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

For those considering the JW way to heaven,

ThiChi, are you asking active JWs or what exactly?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I am simply asking Amazing to share the experiences he did not elaborate on.......

• plmkrzy
  • Nemesis
    Nemesis

Hi plmkrzy,

The post of mine was there to show that they [the Governing Body] have no authority saying who will, or will not be of the anointed. I posted the points above because the Governing Body lose both ways in their argument. If there are only 144,000 anointed then they were clearly chosen many centuries ago, therefore there would be nothing special about the Governing Body compared to any true Christian—so they therefore lost all authority on the matter. And if the 144,000 were symbolic, then it would be up to each one of us to decide if we were anointed or not, they have no power or authority either way to decide for us, or to insinuate within the organisation who “qualifies” and who doesn’t. Unfortunately they don’t see it that way, which is the reason they create so many problems for those who feel they are anointed and still remain in the organisation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit