Seems very easy to leave now, why do people hesitate?

by Xanthippe 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Mephis

I think you are quite on to it, quoting:

(I did a year of coming down with every sickness I could think of trying to do a fade - bit easier with once a week phone calls).

In our neighborhood cong. almost all publishers are claiming illness or diseases. I personally know that 3 or 4 of the elders admit that they are going on pills. They offered me their pills when I claimed that I suffered from depression. I also know that In other neighbor congregations the situation is the same. All of them are desperately finding excuses for not take their speeches and going out in the service. This is what the WT call “the healthiest people on earth”. The world must be very sick…

Bugbear

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I don't know how anyone could say it's easy to leave. It isn't! It's easy to see through the bullshit. It's easier to find TTAT. It's easier to acquire knowledge, to recognize you're in a cult, etc. But it is NOT easier to leave. It's just as hard and for one reason. Family

Well don't just read the thread title. I did explain that I was comparing it to leaving in 1989 with no internet. Those of us who left pre-internet were very isolated. We had the library as I said with CoC being the only book in it about JWs. Apart from that somehow we got hold of the paper newsletter Freeminds for which I am eternally grateful to Randy Watters. That was it.

I knew this would probably upset some people but I am not talking about those staying in for family. All the other reasons have amazed me over the years on here. I'm not ready. Where shall we go to? What about my social life? However, never an easy subject to broach but I think some of the answers have been really interesting and may help lurkers.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Simon - "The whole religion is becoming a watered down version of what it used to be. It's becoming a lifestyle religion and they don't want to make it too difficult. It also probably gives people less reason to leave. At one time it was a hard choice to make but now - meh, you can associate while not being such a zealot."

Ironic, really.

The way things are going, it seems the only ones that are staying are the zealots.

• steve2
    steve2

It's easy for some to leave, harder for others.

External barriers include still-in family, especially JW spouses and adult JW children. Their scorn packs a hefty punch.

Internal barriers include personal, social and existential anxieties (e.g., what else is there? what is my purpose? where is my consolation? etc).

No barrier is insurmountable, but this much can be said:

The fewer your JW family ties and personal, social and existential worries, the easier your leaving.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It's not easier to leave...because shunning carries a big stick.

It is easier to mentally awaken to TTATT then ever before. Before the internet, it was near impossible.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

It is complicated.

I love my family and extended family much too much to cause this kind of commotion. And all things JW heavily is what they all are, so I play along nicely.

Call it coward of whatever but, in my particular situation, it is what creates the best environment for all parties involved.

SL

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

"It is easier to mentally awaken to TTATT then ever before. Before the internet, it was near impossible"

I agree Londo I reasoned my way out of the truth before the internet. It was tough my family shunned me I was a young man with no money and no job and not even a place to live. It was a very lonely and troubled time in my life!

Now days with the internet there is no excuse for not being aware of TATT leaving on the other hand is a different kettle of fish.

• done4good
    done4good

Xanthippe - I knew this would probably upset some people but I am not talking about those staying in for family. All the other reasons have amazed me over the years on here. I'm not ready. Where shall we go to? What about my social life? However, never an easy subject to broach but I think some of the answers have been really interesting and may help lurkers

Much of the issues outside of the desire for normal social interaction with leaving have to do with existential anxieties. Certain personality types have a very difficult time not "knowing" what happens when they die, why we are here, etc. They would prefer to have any answer, (however wrong), rather than none. Guardian types typically fall into this category. (a broad MBTI type). My own presupposition, but I think it is at least educated.

I personally did not experience this anxiety, however many do. Rational type personalities, (another broad MBTI type category), are likely the least to suffer from such anxiety, I would think. (and yet another presupposition).

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit