We've Never Had it So Good!

by Latte 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Definately worse. Have you SEEN what passes for Saturday morning cartoons these days?? Oh the good old days... Dungeons and Dragons... Transformers...Gobots..G.I.Joe... I get all misty eyed just thinking about it. *weep*

• teejay
    teejay

Great comments, y’all.

I agree with COMF when he said that the writer in Latte’s opening post was a bit selective about past events that have since been improved on. I have to admit: In some (many?) ways things are a lot better now.

Speaking from the perspective of a Black American, I always had a hard time watching lily-white TV shows like Father Knows Best and Happy Days (the Andy Griffith Show was an exception for some reason). Although they were always missing from the screen, I couldn’t help but think about how others of my skin tone were living (barely existing) at the time.

In other ways, things are worse. As thirdson highlighted, for the sake of my daughter and other youngsters now coming up I’m particularly worried about the future of the planet itself as well as the loss of personal security. The eco-system toils to keep up with the demands of a growing population. It surely must have limits, and I hate to think of what happens if those limits are ever exceeded.

As far as the personal security issue goes, even in the West we are NEVER safe, even in our own homes. I could be wrong but it seems that, generally speaking, humanity is on a downward spiral morally. I hate to say it, but religion (The Chuuch) has lost its appeal for more and more people, and as a result people have become less compassionate and more narcissistic. This has led to many brand new problems with few remedies.

• COMF
    COMF

I always had a hard time watching lily-white TV shows like Father Knows Best and Happy Days

How about Diff'rent Strokes? Did anybody else pick up on the not-so-subtle suggestion of the great white father taking the poor helpless blacks to raise up in his ways of life? Wonder how well this show would have gone over if a rich black father had taken in a couple of poor white orphan boys to raise in his ways of life?

Anybody ever wonder why the great heroes of fictional Africa are mostly white? Tarzan, Sheena, The Phantom... why is it a white boy speaks to the animals, but not the tribes of darkskinned peoples living in the jungle?

I'm a white boy, but I know raw hype when I see it.

COMF

Ah, love! could you and I with Him conspire
    To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire,
    Would not we shatter it to bits--and then
    Re-mould it nearer to the heart's desire!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    why is it a white boy speaks to the animals, ...

That's easy COMF. Can you understand a word those Africans speak? How much worse would it be for a dumb animal.

• revdrjohnson
    revdrjohnson

The Blind Men and the Elephant
    by John Godfrey Saxe

American poet John Godfrey Saxe (1816-1887) based the following poem on a fable which was told in India many years ago. It’s an example of how limited sensory perceptions can lead to misinterpretations.

It was six men of Indostan
    To learning much inclined,
    Who went to see the Elephant
    (Though all of them were blind),
    That each by observation
    Might satisfy his mind.
    The First approached the Elephant,
    And happening to fall
    Against his broad and sturdy side,
    At once began to bawl:
    “God bless me! but the Elephant
    Is very like a wall!”
    The Second, feeling of the tusk,
    Cried, “Ho! what have we here
    So very round and smooth and sharp?
    To me ’tis mighty clear
    This wonder of an Elephant
    Is very like a spear!”
    The Third approached the animal,
    And happening to take
    The squirming trunk within his hands,
    Thus boldly up and spake:
    “I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
    Is very like a snake!”
    The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
    And felt about the knee.
    “What most this wondrous beast is like
    Is mighty plain,” quoth he;
    “ ’Tis clear enough the Elephant
    Is very like a tree!”
    The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
    Said:“E’en the blindest man
    Can tell what this resembles most;
    Deny the fact who can
    This marvel of an Elephant
    Is very like a fan!׆
    The Sixth no sooner had begun
    About the beast to grope,
    Than, seizing on the swinging tail
    That fell within his scope,
    “I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
    Is very like a rope!”
    And so these men of Indostan
    Disputed loud and long,
    Each in his own opinion
    Exceeding stiff and strong,
    Though each was partly in the right,
    And all were in the wrong!
    Moral:
    So oft in theologic wars,
    The disputants, I ween,
    Rail on in utter ignorance
    Of what each other mean,
    And prate about an Elephant
    Not one of them has seen!

Added moral:

The woman who posted the article is from St. Toma -- not the U. S. -- therefore it is entirely possible that her experience was as she described it; unlike our Mr. COMF, who obviously had a better lot in life -- But I question which end of the elephant he latched onto?

Keep the Faith
    RAY

http://xjw-central.com/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit