We've Never Had it So Good!

by Latte 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Latte
    Latte

Hi Friends,

I thought that the following article was rather interesting, just thought I'd share it with you all.

(Mirror newspaper is a prominemt national newspaper here in the UK)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/mailbox/mailbox/page.cfm?objectid=11797388&method=full

WE NEVER HAD IT THAT GOOD

LET me tell you about the past everyone has been banging on about lately, the 30s, 40s and 50s. Yes, and the beloved 60s, too. The golden age. I remember some of it.Everything stank. The pollution and smell from industry, petrol fumes, cigarette smoke and rubbish blowing about in the streets was more disgusting than anything today. Even people ponged a bit. More than one bath a week was considered over-fussy.Nuclear obliteration at any moment was a distinct possibility.Nurses were beautifully turned out, but people still died of infectious diseases that a starched uniform couldn't cure. It's true that you didn't have to wait for a hip operation. There were virtually no NHS replacement hips.Teachers were dedicated, but most were interested only in clever children. The rest were ignored.Food was repulsive and eating it something embarrassing you did in private.Women endured foul, brutal marriages because they could do nothing about it. There was terrible violence behind the net curtains. Houses were cold and dark.If there is one thing I shall be keeping my CCTV eye on as we get to know one another in this column, it is our soppy nostalgia for golden ages we never actually experienced.The myth that the Blitz was a good time.The fiction that the 50s, when everyone knew how to use an apostrophe, had anything else to commend it as a decade.THE naive belief that punk rock was a political reaction to Margaret Thatcher rather than a merry noise.Let me tell you some more about the past, the stuff that everyone mysteriously forgets.Traffic was much worse than today in cities and on holiday routes. And you could drive a car as drunk as you like and not be touched by law or guilty conscience. The 19th hole, gent-in-a-Jag logic back then was that there's nothing worse than having a smash when you're sober.If you had an accident, which was far more likely than today even though there were fewer cars, you and everyone else died, because car manufacturers refused to spend money on safety features. Aeroplanes also came down constantly, although nobody worried much, because only the rich could afford to fly. Most people couldn't make a phone call without going into a box in the street that doubled as a urinal. And the phones rarely worked because people smashed them up for fun. Not surprising, maybe, because the alternative entertainment, television, was mostly dreadful.Oh, and as for crime, trust me, the streets weren't as safe as they say. Razor gangs attacked innocent passers-by with blades for no reason. The police patrolled in groups in dangerous areas. You couldn't go to the seaside on Bank Holidays because of ferocious running battles between gangs.Respectable people were racist and all the other -ists. It never occurred to them that unthinking, hand-me-down hatred was wrong.Superficial manners were observed, of course, but on the sly, people were just as rude and nasty as they sometimes are now. It was a different kind of rudeness, more snootiness than snarling. But rudeness it was.There was simply far less value to human life.MY dad knew a fellow lorry driver in the war who, backing up in his Bedford, ran over and killed a boy of eight.The kid's father arrived at the scene of the accident. The lorry driver took off his cloth cap and apologised humbly."Don't worry about it," said the father, with impeccable old-world manners. "He was only a little bastard."Incredible, I know, but my dad told the story more than once and in such detail that I sometimes wondered if it was really a friend of his. Or something he needed to talk about.The past.The days when so much was rotten, but at least railway timetables were worth the paper they were printed on.Last Tuesday at Windsor, a year or two late owing to an elderly royal person on the line, we finally clattered across the points at Millennium Junction and are speeding towards 21st Century Central.We should not forget the past altogether now that we're living in the future. But let's stop revering it so. Let's give up the useless, trainspotterish, British habit of glorying in old timetables.In this country, for some damned reason, we've shown no passion for the future since the Victorian age, which was less stuffy and more forward-thinking than we acknowledge.The thing is, you see, and they knew it then, the future is almost bound to be better than the past.It always has been.

REPLY LETTER TO THE ABOVE

Grim fairy tale of the 'golden' past

Apr 18 2002
    £25 LETTER OF THE DAY

CASSANDRA is quite right to debunk the "golden age" of the past (Daily Mirror, April 16).To this amnesia over our rather nasty past we can add two world wars and a hundred other wars, the Wall Street Crash, the Depression, British imperialism, apartheid and the rigid colour and class system the world over.We also had Hitler, Pol Pot, Mao Tse-tung and Stalin. In the good old days in this country - which were not so long ago - we put unmarried mothers in mental institutions and sent orphans to colonies as cheap child labour, landladies put signs up saying "No Irish, no dogs or Negroes" and children were too scared to report sex abuse.We tend to remember the good, conveniently forgetting the bad, and view the future with fear. Hence it all happens again and again. We do not learn from our mistakes because we bury them in a "golden age" of supposed hot summers and caring folk.Sara StarkeyTonbridge, Kent

Sorry all you worrying JW's.........

Latte

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

Good article. People always talk about the "Good ole Days". I tend to agree that they weren't all that good. Just different.

Shimmer

• Sirona
    Sirona

Thats excellent, Latte! Thanks for posting it. I know a few people who look at the past with rose-tinted glasses.

** http://www.religioustolerance.org **

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Great article....very true. When the dubs (my mother) starts on the "critical times...blah, blah) I tell her she is much better off than she would have been 50 years ago. As she begins to dispute this I point out the problems of the past.

"Oh, perhaps you are right."

• COMF
    COMF

I was a child in the 50's, grew up in the 60's. I read the first half of this article, and stopped. Didn't see much that wasn't exaggerated from incidentals to a bizarre absolute. The stench of industrial pollution, for instance, is much worse today than it was then, because there is so much more of it now. Vast stretches of thick forest that stretched between cities then (we used to drive through them for hours going from one to the other) have become urban sprawls now, with automobile exhaust and factories.

Whoever wrote this sat down in a bad mood and whined and vented over the worst of his incidental childhood memories. It wasn't like that. Food was embarassing... wha...? Get real.

COMF

Ah, love! could you and I with Him conspire
    To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire,
    Would not we shatter it to bits--and then
    Re-mould it nearer to the heart's desire!

• Xander
    Xander

Do you dispute the point of the article, though?

Is not today better than any other point in human history? Of course, I'm going to say YES for myself. I couldn't live without the internet, PCs in general, and the vastly improved educational system.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• COMF
    COMF

Okay, my observations in detail, then:
    --------------------------------------

Everything stank. ...cigarette smoke...

Yes, I'm glad there are now laws about public smoking, and designated smoking areas. Big improvement.

More than one bath a week was considered over-fussy.

Bullshit. We're not talking about the 1800's here. With rare exceptions (like when camping out), I've had a bath every day of my life... a practice I learned from my mother, who learned it from my grandparents. The people I associated with and went to school with and stood beside in stores and sat beside in church were the same way... clean. Where did this author live, anyway, Tobacco Road?

Nuclear obliteration at any moment was a distinct possibility.

True. We grew up with it; we accepted it; we lived with the sure knowledge that nuclear war was coming. Isn't it more reassuring, now, to be waiting for an airplane through your office or biochemical warfare in your drinking water.

people still died of infectious diseases

Yes, and through the time period we're discussing we watched those diseases conquered one by one. In many ways I wish for the idyllic life of an early settler, tilling the land and living a calm, pastoral existence. But I don't wish for things like the health conditions that led to sayings such as, "You'll catch your death of cold"... an observation of literal fact, at that time. To not have aspirin, cough syrup, blood pressure medication, or antibiotics readily available would make for a miserable sickness and a dangerous life, indeed.

Houses were cold and dark.

HUH? Repeating myself... we're not talking about the 1800's here.

Traffic was much worse than today in cities and on holiday routes.

ROFL!!!

Aeroplanes also came down constantly

Oh, yeah, man, we had 'em crashing into our back yard every few days. I just piled the wreckage up behind the storage shed.

Most people couldn't make a phone call without going into a box in the street that doubled as a urinal.

"Most people"? Really--most people? Interesting. Wandering bums would choose to go inside the see-through glass enclosure of a telephone booth in full view of the street, to relieve themselves, instead of doing it behind the building in a back alley. Umm... yeah, that makes sense.

And the phones rarely worked because people smashed them up for fun.

What a crock. They did not. Maybe ONE person smashed ONE phone near where this author lived, and now it's metamorphosed into, "the phones rarely worked."

Razor gangs attacked innocent passers-by with blades for no reason.

Yes, I much prefer the safety of that relatively recent development, the drive-by machine-gunning, over those nasty blades from the bad old days, don't you?

You couldn't go to the seaside on Bank Holidays because of ferocious running battles between gangs.

Yep. All those pictures you've seen of people on the beach in bygone years...? They're all gang members. The blades are hidden in their swimsuits.

Respectable people were racist

True, and perhaps the greatest change for the better in the USA is the surface treatment of other races. Racism isn't gone yet by any means, but it's vastly better than it was back then.

Superficial manners were observed, of course, but on the sly, people were just as rude and nasty as they sometimes are now.

So what's changed?

----------------------------

Here's something I know from personal experience. When I was a child, there was a feeling of security that is now completely gone. People slept with their doors open and their windows up. They went to work or to town without locking the doors, sure in the knowledge that no one was going to invade their living area. Cars were left parked with the windows down, or with the doors unlocked.

In some ways, we live in a better world now. In some ways, it's far worse. But this kind of distorted misrepresentation of the facts is nothing but a ranting appeal to emotion. It dissolves on close examination.

COMF

Ah, love! could you and I with Him conspire
    To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire,
    Would not we shatter it to bits--and then
    Re-mould it nearer to the heart's desire!

• SYN
    SYN

If I was to go back to the 60s, I would probably die from a massive Internet deficiency! Nah, I would just sneak my sorry ass into MIT or something and go hang out with the geeks there who were creating the first real computers!

Although I would enjoy the Summer of Love. No AIDS! Excellent!

I wonder what it must have been like to fool around back when there wasn't AIDS hanging over your head the whole time. Must have been nice!

Seven006: "Have you tried drugs? Shooting up a little heroin might do the trick, it's hard to type when your stoned out of your mind. I don't know how TR does it!"

• Latte
    Latte

COMF,

Clearly, this is ONE person’s account of their thoughts on this matter. Whilst I do agree with a lot of what you say, I still think that things are somewhat better now.
    The comment re: food was rather silly, if not downright ‘snobby’ I am grateful for whatever food I receive….Hey there’s people starving…. as we speak!

Most people couldn't make a phone call without going into a box in the street that doubled as an urinal.
    This quote is actually quite true (here in the UK)..…I remember (lol) also, they would render the phone unusable if they could!
    Women endured foul, brutal marriages because they could do nothing about it. There was terrible violence behind the net curtains.

I know this is true for sure.
    and children were too scared to report sex abuse. We tend to remember the good, conveniently forgetting the bad, and view the future with fear. Hence it all happens again
    The open discussions in schools etc. has greatly help this issue…. well, certainly in the ‘developed’ countries.

Yes, I too have quite fond memories of my childhood, but I am so glad for ‘advancement’ especially the huge distribution of INFORMATION, which is taking place….the Internet of course. My only hope is that mankind will gain more understanding of one another, leading us to more…..peace.

SIRONA,
    Hey…..your almost catching up with me…. 4 more posts and we’re even…..lol

Latte

• Englishman
    Englishman

Sorry, Comf, but I'm with Latte on this one.

I was beaten up almost daily as a kid of 8 by other kids, you didn't tell your Mum because you were too ashamed. I lived in London then, we didn't have fog, we had SMOG that killed thousands. The lavatory was at the bottom of the garden. Public transport absolutely reeked of cigarettes and diesel fumes. Our teachers were ex-servicemen who were psychotic losers, I was caned, on the hand by 9 (nine) different teachers during my time at school. We sat an examination at age 11,it was called the 11 - plus. If you passed you went to Grammar school aand were set for a career in the City or similar, if you failed you went to Secondary school to learn manual work. Your life hung on what you did at age 11. We had a teacher known as Bummer Burril who was just that, a bummer of boys.

Nah, life is much, much better now than it was then.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit