Did you have a "religious experience" ?

by refiners fire 42 Replies latest jw friends

• tdogg
    tdogg

At times when doing something JW related I would feel what I would describe as "Holy Spirit". It was a very powerful conformation for me. In fact, feeling what I percieved as Holy Spirit was the single most powerful force that told me I was in the truth.

After being out for several years I realized many other people in other faiths have described the exact feeling as I had. JW logic would dismiss this with "angel of light" crap, but they were just as powerfully moved as I was. Hmmm...so if this feeling is not only reserved for JW's then something is askew...

alamb- do you live in Utah?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I was at a Bob Dylan concert and Bob sang Shelter From The Storm.

When he hit the lines
    "Come in, she said, I'll give ya
    Shelter frommmmm the Storm"

tears started falling from my eyes uncontrollably.

I wanted someone to give me some of that Shelter.

The Pope

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I loved your story kep, touching. Eleswhere you made me bust up laughing with your reply, I think they call that comic releif.

I dont know if this counts , but all I ever saw that was from another realm , was probably demons . Not God. I have seen some freaky things , still dont know if it was JW brainwashing or fear, or actual
    evil spirits. I am still waiting for the real spiritual exerience , when I feel that Jesus or God, or whoever , tells me that I am loved and accepted by Him. I hope I have that experience one day.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Kep.
    Youre account seems to have impressed a lot of people, including me.
    Actually, it triggers a memory of something that happened to me at the beach, a religious experience.
    I was an especially mean bastard at the time of the experience and went swimming on a notorious beach and got caught in a rip.
    Stupidly, it was 7am and there was noone else around.
    I got sucked out of my depth and eventually surrendered to the elements after a lot of struggle and went under water.
    While under water A voice inside my head asked me whether I wanted to live or die and whether I wanted to love or hate.
    I answered "love"
    Then was tossed about by the currents until i .oddly, felt my kness hit sand. I stood up, I was back in waist deep water, waded ashore and vomited onto the sand.
    I had the distinct feeling Id been given a second chance.

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

I had disturbing experiences as a dub, but absolutely nothing that convinced or implied truth.
    Many of you might be able to relate to their horrible fear of Satan and demons. For people who think they are on God's side they sure are chicken when it comes to the supernatural
    I have many stories related to me about how satan supposedly attempted to get at people right before baptism. They would even go to the extent to 'clean' their homes of anything that might allow evil to enter-- like a cross that might be lurking in the attic or a stray stuffed animal that had an easter basket attatched or whatever-- very superstitios. The thing that impacted me with all those experiences was the fear of evil being ever present. They couldn't comprehend God being ever present or interested enough to always be with us but yet they feared satan always trying to harm them. The overwhelming feeling was of evil and distance from God-- not exactly a experience that made me think it was the truth.

I did however, have and continue to have 'spiritual experiences' after decided to totally trust God. The night I prayed and decided to trust God I felt his presence and love and answers to my prayers. This feeling of closeness was totally different that the JW idea of God and the odd feelings of evil earlier mentioned. God does care, listen, answer, love, perform miracles etc..even today and I only began to experience him when I decided to put my 'allegience' in him and not the WT.

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

I also wanted to mention that feelings are a important but subjective thing to draw truth from... Feelings do not alone prove anything but will be involved in the truth. Many types of people have spiritual experiences like earlier mentioned the Mormons and they also have a concept called a 'burning in the bosom'. I am not singleing them out here but its a good example already brought up. The burning in the bosom testimony is something every mormon claims to have-- at one point they in prayer ask 'God' to confirm in their heart the Book of Mormon as true and the 'prophet' Joseph Smith as from God and they allegedly receive a confirmation feeling of truth in their souls or 'burning in the bosom'. This alone does not mean truth as it says in Proverbs that the mans heart is deceitful above ALL else and to not lean on our own understanding.
    The only Objective truth is scripture so true spiritual non-counterfeit experiences will also support the truth of the scriptures and subject themselves to that authority. If they contradict in anyway then they are not from the same source ie. God.
    In my immense experience speaking with mormons even high ranking officials of the Latter Day Saints, this 'Burning in the Bosom' is the bottom line proof and no matter what the Bible or even their Book of Mormon says in contradiction to their doctrine, they are right....period. Their spiritual experience overrides scripture in their faith. The point? Scripture is objective and feelings are subjective so remember to compare the two. Never take the subjective alone cuz' it can easily end up misleading--- Subjective alone is another leap of blind faith but faith does not have to be blind and is only as good as what you put your faith in.

• og
    og

tdogg makes a great point. It is possible to have a feeling of spirit direction, even for a Witness, or, for that matter, for a Muslim, Fundie, or Orthodox Pagan. Whatever explains the phenomenon, it seems to be independent of religious belief, or lack thereof. This was an important point for me to acknowledge, because it was a feeling of being spirit directed that led me to become a Witness.

Not acknowledging this forces Witnesses and other bigots to attribute the sacred experiences of others to Satan, mental illness, or indigestion. Sad.

"Belief is the death of intelligence." R.A. Wilson

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Hi noidia,
    I can associate with you feelings of guilt. Getting rid of it is easier said than done.............but to be o.k. again it's got to go.
    I was quilty over everything. I caused my mother much grief. She would scream, cry and made life for my father miserable. So again, there was guilt over my father. I could no longer assoiciate with my brother, his wife of children. I felt guilty for not teaching my children the "truth". I felt guilty about not going to the meetings, for not going out in service, for not praying. But mostly, I suffered the guilt from encourageing my father to not take blood and he ultimately died. It was endless and it was killing me inside.
    I am a real softy by nature, but durring those 16 years after disfellowshiping I became hard in the heart. Not mean mind you.... just numb to feelings. I would watch a movie that was a real tear jerker and when I felt the tears start to come on I was able to disassociate my self. I learned to do this well. To become distant to feelings.
    Like I said, once I tried to seriously and heartfeltly find God,he answered. For me He answered big time. I did not bring those feelings on myself on purpose. I was not being all charismatic. It just happend and i knew he heard me and I heard him loud and clear. I was indeed worthy.. I was indeed forgiven... and i was indeed loved by Him.
    I would like to mention to you all that being saved does not instantly give you all the answers...........but you are free of the guilt to finally read the bible for what it is and beleive the truths in there, like going to heaven, with out having the guilt for questioning them. The watchtower glasses are finally removed.
    I sincerely wish this peace and zest for the true Jesus for you all.
    Hang in there AND DONT GIVE UP. It took him 3 years to get it thru my thick stubborn skull. Remember, everyone asking WILL RECEIVE.
    agape love to you Gold morning

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Kep,
    I am curious. Are you still a Jehovah's Witness?
    One of satans biggest weapons is to make people feel unworthy. After all, if they feel they are unworthy why even bother to try and find God.
    Remember, Jesus came for the sinners, not those that are o.k.
    He loved the sick, the prostitutes and even forgave and promised eternal life to a criminal that was dieing on the cross next to Him. Look at the apostle Paul. He sought him out and he use to kill chirstians. It is not what we have done, but rather the condition of our hearts over what we have done. The father is in Him and He is in His Father and He is in US!!! He knows all because he dwells in us. It is called spirit. We are spirits. Eternal spirits that need a body to live here. The apostle Paul said he would rather be away from the body and home with the lord.
    Jesus said that no greater love is there than this.... that one should give up his life for his friends. I call you my friends. That life he gave up was for us. Yes, us creeps. He loves us just like we are and did this to forgive us. We are His friends.
    I think you are right when you said that he was letting you know you were worthy..................and you are!!! agape love gold morning

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Hi Elsewhere,
    Don't know why I am replying to your remark but I guess I just felt compelled to. Funny..........there are many that care about people who make remarks like that. There is usually something deeper inside. I guess i am one of those people.
    There is a real spirit world out there. Don't kid yourself. We really dont amount to much here. Very short lived. It is what is after that counts. The time to think about it is now. After is too late. It is a common expression......you'll never find an atheist in a fox hole!!
    There is two choices.........eternity away from God... or eternity with Him. As for me, I will search out what ever I have to do to show him that I want to be with him. Not because I want to save my own hide......but because I love Him.
    Soften up a bit. I know you can. A much more tender heart is there, it is just squelched, probably from allot of past garbage. I am sorry for whatever made you feel like that and I am sure God is too. If you really think God is a creep, at least prove it to yourself first by giving God a chance instead of religion a chance. Seperate the two and you will be surprised. I promise.
    From someone that truly cares...agape gold morning

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit