Did you have a "religious experience" ?

by refiners fire 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

A great question. I think my lack of extraterrestrial.. or whatever expriences have played a part in confirming my lack of belief. I must admit that I'm a sucker for other people's stories though. Kev's was nice - but I think that his seagull may have had previous human handling and it was just one of those coicidences in life. (always a rational explanation to this stuff).

I watched an extremely moving program about aids last nite and one woman told of her spiritual experience just before her child died of aids. I can't account for some of these very extraordinary moments, but I am sure that our brain is capable of giving us illusions when we are deeply challenged.

Mariyn

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

This happened to me after I left the Witnesses. I was reading
    Matt. 25 when I suddenly felt "convicted" that I was doing none
    of the things Jesus said I should be doing. I was not feeding the
    hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and those in prison,
    receiving strangers, etc. So I decided to rectify this and my
    life's work since has been to run a soup kitchen at a shelter (I
    get opportunities to receive strangers, clothe the needy, etc.)
    I also visit prisoners through Prison Fellowship.

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Kenneson, that's great! THAT is ministry :)

Penn

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Kep,
    That was a beautiful story. I too love the ocean.
    Ps34:17........"the Lord hears the good man when he calls to him for help, and saves him out of all his troubles"
    gold morning

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Once I felt a burning sensation in my chest while praying during a sermon at church. Strangely enough, I was praying for God to take away my guilt for having left the Jehovah's Witnesses. A couple of minutes later the pastor looked at a couple of us sitting in the congregation and said that he noticed a glow about us that looked like a target on our chest. Even though he wasn't looking directly at me...it was confirmation enough...I knew he was talking about me.
    I freaked and took my wife and kids home. Having been raised a JW I thought this was some sort of evil. Well, I finally called him at home and told him what I felt. He put my fears to rest by explaining that sometimes God touches us like that.
    BTW, I haven't felt any guilt about leaving the bOrg since ;)

Lizard

• Kep
    Kep

Lizard, that's freaky man.
    Gold, I used to dive a lot and love the smell and sound of the sea.
    A song by Little River Band always takes me back to this time in my life - "Cool Change". Your experience is very touching.
    Anne, I can relate to something similar. What did your rellies experience?
    Beck, I did keep the shell for many years as a pendant until it broke.

• Solace
    Solace

gold,
    "Moving"
    That is for sure...
    I actually had to cut it short, I was getting too caught up.
    It was a major turning point in my life.
    I know what you mean.
    Kind of like knowing God for the first time.
    "Coincidence"?
    Who knows, I guess its possible in anyones situation.
    I like to believe otherwise.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Kep

I wonder if the shell broke because you are no longer being tormented like you were at that time. A symbol of a new beginning..perhaps.

As for LRB...I have been to Little River (the area where the band chose the name of their group)...we used to ride horses there. Last time I was there...I saw Superman flying...with his arms outstretched...as he gracefully glided from back of horse in slow motion to land gracefully on belly

Beck

• noidea
    noidea

I still struggle with some guilt about leaving..not because I think they are right but because of the hurt that I know it causes my family and friends. I feel this could be holding me back.

When you leave you are also made to feel that you are unworthy of a relationship with God. That is when I realized after all my years in the Org. I had no relationship with God..a real eye opener for me.I'm still working on that relationship. It's a start anyway a humble beginning but, a beginning none the less.

BTW..this is a Wonderful post..thank you {{{refiners fire}}} for starting it.
    All of the experiences..(with the exception of Elsewhere) are so touching and I consider it an honor to be among you all. Love & Hugs to all!!
    ~Noi~

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Deeply moving thread.

Thank you everyone who shared their experiences.

Andee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit