WT 4-01-02 article

by DB 24 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

The WTS do tell dubs to read the bible but only with the 'aid' of WTS publications. Freedom to read the bible and come to your own conclusions is not allowed.

ISP

• Mum
    Mum

I recently listened to part of a meeting by speaker phone at the home of an ill relative. The speaker was instructing the congregation (possibly from a KM article) not to use the Bible, but to read directly from the "Reasoning" book. I think this book is like the old "Make Sure of All Things," i.e., just scripture quotations taken out of context. So, I suppose, the poor householder infers that the Bible is the primary source anyway, or something like that.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

So... suddenly JW's are allowed to examine their theology using scripture?
    Wow, what a landmark decision this is!
    There may be reform yet.
    Won't hold my breath

Lizard

• musky
    musky

ISP,

You are 100% correct! In fact i believe charles russell said that a person who only read the bible and nothing else, would not have as much understanding as a person who read only the "studies in the scriptures" books and not a page of the bible itself.I think that idea still holds today. If I was allowed to come to my own conclusions by reading the bible, and be in good standing as a witness, I would be going to meetings now.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Why all of this hubub about a bunch of books written so long ago. A bunch of books first of all that rarely give advice, and when they do give advice are generally dangerous to those who follow the advice or to others (for instance sir, I have seek advice, a friend of mine was raped what advice do you give me? Did she scream young student? Um, not to my knowledge, I think her kids were in the other room, and the man had a knife so she didnt want to risk their lives, and she just submitted to the man. Well then killer he young student! Kill her? Dont you think that is a bit extreme wise teacher? EXTREME! YOU WANT EXTREME! Not only should you kill her, but you should kill her by pelting her with large stones!)

I was going to write more, but that law right there is enough for me to dismiss the god of the bible.

• DB
    DB

Thank you for the input, I appreciate the comments.

On the one hand, it is commendable for any religious group to encourage reading of the Bible. And yes, many religions do not encourage Bible reading and study. So I would say that yes, the WTS is right to encourage Bible reading, and can be commended for that.

However, as some posts have intimated, encouraging Witnesses and others to read the Bible does not in itself mean that manipulation of these people cannot take place. The avreage person does not know the Bible well enough to be able to avoid possibly being manipulated. As ISP wrote, Witnesses and those who study with them get mostly all their answers to Bible questions from WTS literature, so manipulation can still take place.

I would liken this to shopping for a car, a used one for example. The dealer can invite most people to look under the hood and 'kick the tires' all they want, but the fact is that most people do not know enough about cars to avoid the possibility of being taken advantage of by an unscrupulous dealer.In many cases the dealer hopes that the buyer asks only him or his staff about the car or reads only the literature they supply; after all, how many car dealers would encourage shoppers to consult, say, Consumer Reports or similar publications that present a more objective analysis?

Thus, most people can be encouraged to do all the Bible reading they want; in my opinion that does not ensure that they cannot be manipulated or taught false doctrine.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

all I can think to say is

BWWWAAHAHAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAH!!!!!
    Ms. Venice

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

"""""If Jehovah's organization knowingly endorsed false teachings, advice to read the Bible would never be given to Jehovah's Witnesses and those to whom they preach."""""

If the Mormons knowingly endorsed false teachings, advice to read the Book of Mormon wound never be given to Mormons and those to whom they preach."

Every Mormon that reads such a statement is going to be REALLY impressed. The rest of us can see thru this kind of manipulation.

Besides loads of Christian religions encourage Bible reading. We aren't in the dark ages any longer.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

excellent topic and very thought provoking.

Bodhisattva: here is the reference

" w. 1.04.1986 page 30 QfR "
    and compare with " w. 1.07.2001 pages 18-21 "
    which deals with doubts..."

As usual ...they crack...under strain!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have always felt that way too ,Hygh, about screaming and rape .
    If you dont scream you are guilty of fornication. Bullcrap.
    Like you said, what if you had children to protect and you didnt want them to see or hear the horrible event taking place. I know I would rather not scream than for my children to witness something like that.
    And maybe you are so shocked, literally in shock that you freeze in fear and can't even speak, much less scream. I know that is not how God sees things. That is why I do wonder if the Bible is inspired ,
    maybe it is just a bunch of writers opinions of what God would say and do. Again, I just dont understand why God does what he does. Then again , maybe the bible writers just think that is what God meant. What if they are wrong!!!!!!!!!! Imperfect men writing books, and absolutely no mistakes , kinda hard to swollow that one. The Bible is hard enough to understand, I dont think I will be wanting to renew my watchtower subscription.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit