WT 4-01-02 article

by DB 24 Replies latest jw friends

• DB
    DB

In the April 1, 2002 issue of The Watchtower, an article appears entitled "Keep On Serving Jehovah With a Steadfast Heart". Paragraph 14 of this article states: "If Jehovah's organization knowingly endorsed false teachings, advice to read the Bible would never be given to Jehovah's Witnesses and those to whom they preach."

I am withholding comment on this statement, because I'd like to hear from any who would like to post a response. I'd like to get some opinions on it, if anyone would care to elaborate. Thanks!

• gem
    gem

But the JWs "cherry pick" different verses from the Bible to back up their peculiar beliefs. Eg, blood, Trinity, two class doctrine. They then discredit (or change) any verses which go against their beliefs.

WT expects JWs to conform to this - JWs are not allowed to question this interpretation. Most JWs don't read the Bible with an open mind. They read the Bible to back up a particular WT assertion.

Also, most Christian religions are "based" on the Bible. Yet some have widely differing beliefs. It depends on how you interpret the Bible, and what parts you emphasize.

• accuracy
    accuracy

I think the operative word here is knowingly. This is an admission that false (incorrect) teachings may have been "endorsed" in the past due to lack of knowledge at the time.

• Victor_E
    Victor_E

This is called a complex equivalence. The tower uses all kinds of interesting mental gymnastics with the dumb r&f. I will use some of my own in reply

If the tower knowingly or unknowingly has misled one person they are a fraud.
    If the tower knowing or unknowingly has caused the death of one person they are criminals.
    If the tower knowingly or unknowingly pained one person they are not Christians.
    If the tower knowingly or unknowingly made profits from peddling their theology they are a publishing business.
    If the tower knowingly or unknowingly lied they are liars.
    Victor Escalante

• moman
    moman

When the Inca ruler Atahualpa refused to look at the bible offered by the Spanish priest, thousands of his followers were slaughtered in the name of God.

DOES THAT MEAN THEY WERE FOLLOWING THE BIBLE?

• TexSham
    TexSham

I think the statement is exactly correct. The do knowingly teach false teachings, and they do not encourage individual, independent bible study.

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

Do they not elsewhere require members to agree with the whole range of Watchtower doctrine, including interpretations (of the Bible) that are "unique to Jehovah's Witnesses"?!?

For instance, I wholeheartedly endorse the apostolic decree in Acts 15. It was appropriate that newly-converted gentiles try not to stumble their fellow Christians who were Jewish by eating meat from idol temples or from animals killed by strangulation, drinking blood, or fornicating. In this of course I heartily agree with the Watchtower interpretation - in C.T. Russell's time.

Try this, active JW's: Read another interpretive Bible than the NWT, such as the New Living. Because today, as you read the NWT or a Bible that is doctrinally neutral (and trust me, the NWT is not), you add meaning to each scripture as you read it because you have heard it before. The NWT goes along with the meaning you add, and the neutral text does little to work against your current understanding.

Ah, but read a Bible written by people with different doctrines who, like the NWT translators, alter word choice to fit their beliefs, and you will find yourself reading a whole different book. You'll find yourself questioning the translators' choices, challenging their beliefs. And, finally, the omen of free thought, you'll find your own comfortable beliefs challenged.

The fact that the Watchtower makes this boast only indicates that they believe their followers are fully programmed to believe they are free, and that even those who fancy themselves just a little rebellious - but in a good, Laodicean way - will only repeat in their minds what they have already been taught when verifying things in the Bible. (Good thing for the WTS that Galatians comes so late).

Yes, they believe taht they are free, and are often told so. This is the most insidious form of imprisonment.

• simwitness
    simwitness

They may "advise you to read the bible" in one instance, and then they tell you that only the GB or "annointed class" are the only ones qualified to interpit it.

also, "Knowingly endorsing false teachings" is a loaded statement altogether. They gloss over the falsehoods with "new light" and "in times past...".

They didn't know it was false at the time. They have tacked accordingly.

My issue, regaurdless of the interpetation changes, is that they knowingly falsify many things in thier teachings, from their own history to the words of others that they quote. Of this, there is no doubt.

• battman
    battman

To all of the above: just how do you define "is" ? The GB
    are just like slick willie. puke

batt

• dedalus
    dedalus

What a horribly worded sentence.

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest