The (ancient) globalised world - Ancient Israel imported cinnamon from India

by fulltimestudent 12 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Sorry, clumsy fingers again

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I've been attempting to verify the statements in the above Hurriyet Daily News report.

At the moment nothing definitive has turned up for me (maybe not enough time spent on it - life is overfull at the moment-smile).

To my surprise, Iznik turns out to be Nicea, of the Christian councils fame.

And one reference from a defining and reliable source, that I've found is the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

At this page on their web-site: http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/451715

there is an image of an Islamic bowl, described as made in Iraq in the 9th Century.

Bowl Emulating Chinese Stoneware

and further described as "emulating Chinese stoneware." The Met's text says:

Quote: "Ceramics such as this bowl are among the first examples to incorporate calligraphy as the main element of decoration. The Iraqi potters of the ninth century attempted to emulate the luminous quality and hard body of Chinese whitewares by using a tin-opacified white glaze. The Arabic word ghibta (happiness) is repeated twice in cobalt blue at the center."

Nothing to do with the HDN story, and nothing to do with Iznik, but it is indicative evidence of the spreading web of trade exchange in products, technology and ideas,

every time I dip deeper into the Euro-Asia trading network.

But also sad for me personally, discovering this segment of humanities past in the last part of my life, (afte wasting it following Jesus and Yahweh)

It will be unlikely taht I live long enough to unravel all the links in this giant web of trading markets.

But some you younger people, with an interest in Ancient History (verging into modern history) and Sociology could carve wonderful careers in this field.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I wanted to post a few piks demonstrating the beauty of these products. The HDN story does not clearly indicate which objects came from China and which from Iznik (Nicea)

Obviously Chinese, and large volumes were exported.

HDN

NOt sure whether it was made in Nicea or China. I think the decorative pattern is Islamic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit