Oh I thought JWs were just a "normal" religion

by fresh prince of ohio 21 Replies latest jw friends

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

I have found that, since leaving JWs, that few "wordly" people seem interested in hearing my escape story (although some certainly have shown great interest). When I've mentioned that I used to be a JW and that I left, the reaction I've gotten on more than one occasion is a "oh i thought they were just a normal religion", and not only that, it's like they just weren't at all even open to the idea that JWs could be a really strange and cultish group. On these occasions, I felt a little lost for words trying to explain to people just how crazy JWism is, because there's so much crazy to tell about, where do you even start?

So how do you give people who have little or no direct experience with JWism a short but strong anti-witness that drives it home how kool-aid nutso it is?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

All I tell them about is the shunning, that my pops won't hang with me anymore because I'm not in his church. Add to that a little explanation of how its a blackmailing technique and I get plenty of wide-eyed WTF looks.

If they want to know anything else, I let them ask away but don't push anything else on them.

• Joliette
    Joliette

No Jehovahs Witnesses is not a normal religion. But most people think there innocent.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Most people just think they are a little looney but have no idea the extent. I have informed a few people who have asked about it.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

WTF

Let them know this cult will kill their own children over a misinterpreted scripture promoted

by crazy Freddie Franz . Blood .They are responsible for more DEATHS than any other cult .

No qualified accredited bible scholar agrees with it.

This cult will command family to disown children and grandchildren that just disagree with the cult .

These two fact alone identify them as a harmful cult .

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/wrong-with-being-jehovahs-witness.php

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I get that comment all the time. The conversation goes something like this:

Me "I was raised in a cult"

Them "Really! Which one?"

Jehovah's Witnesses

They are not a cult, are they?

Well yes. They are fairly main stream, since there are 7 million on them, but they still exhibit all the qualities of a cult. The teachings are quite crazy. I was bought up being told I would never die. God will kill billions on people at Armageddon, but I was supposed to live forever. Can you imagine how difficult it was when I started to realise that the teachings were not true, and that I will die one day?

Wow, thats crazy

The worst thing about being a JW is that if you realise it is not the truth and you leave, you can be disfellowshipped. Then none of your friends or family are to ever speak to you again, except in an emergency. Almost 100,000 are disfellowshipped every year. That is particularly tough, since growing up you are not supposed to have friends that are not JWs; worldly people. So when I was disfellowshipped at the age of 35, I lost everyone. Virtually all my friends, and all my friends refused to have anything to do with me from that day forward.

That is shocking. I never realised what a terrible religion it is. Damn, if they ever come to my door I will let them know what I think about them. Oh my God, tell me more.

• Ding
    Ding

In addition to the shunning issue, I think I would also highlight the fact that the WT religion is run by 8 men who teach that:

1. They and they alone are God's channel of communication to the world

2. No one can understand the Bible without their publications

3. All other religions and religious organizations are satanic

4. Jehovah God is just about to have Jesus destroy at Armageddon every human being on earth who is not active in the WT religion.

You might want to have some photocopies of these teachings handy to show to people who are interested in what you are saying but who are likely to think you are crazy until you present them with documentary proof.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I tell them men aren't allowed to grow facial hair. That really piques people's outrage...

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And on the same line as JWFacts there, I tell people I've just left a cult, and of course they're interested, and I have a conversation similar to what JWFacts wrote above. People are usually somewhat interested. I'm also careful to say that the nice family that comes to your door on Saturday morning are not bad people, just really badly misled.

• clarity
    clarity

Also ... Christ is not any ones mediator in the whole earth,

except for the GB & 143,992 mostly dead people!

>

The 8 GB & 143,992 others are your personal saviours!

Not Christ!

>

Does this sound like a "normal" religion to you?

If members do not accept that the governing body is their personal saviour,

GB says god won't hear your prayers & god will destroy you!

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit